Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! - Speaker hissing under all conditions

Hi guys,

I recently acquired a Phil Jones CUB II AG-150 BK amp in good condition. I had been looking for a two channel acoustic amp to us with my stick.

The amp has many features and all seem to work fine, the only problem is the continuous hissing, not humming. (hissing = hiiiiiiiiiissssss, humming = hummmmmmmm)

I tried it without any instruments plugged in, all knobs turned to 0, gains, volumes, master, everything and the hissing is still there.

Any ideas of what the problem could be and how to get rid of it?

Cheers,
    Walter
    "I don't want to be a product of my environment, I want my environment to be a product of me."

Re: HELP! - Speaker hissing under all conditions

How loud is the hissing?
    Does it make the amp unusable?

I think with any amp 100% silent is unrealistic.

Comment

It shouldn't make noise volume down.

Have you tried it in different house?
      "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
      Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Solid state?

Aint the speaker

Signal , probably some loose connection or solder joint , leaking through
        EHD
        Just here surfing Guitar Pron
        RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
        SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
        Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
        Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
        Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
        Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
        GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
          How loud is the hissing?
          Does it make the amp unusable?

I think with any amp 100% silent is unrealistic.
          Loud enough to be annoying, quite enough to be "unnoticeable" when you're playing.

Originally posted by Jacew View Post
          It shouldn't make noise volume down.

Have you tried it in different house?
          Yes, I knew about this when I bought it. Therefore the deal, 100 bucks for it. I hissed at the guy's house and hisses at mine. I tried also different cables and also by removing the center pin (ground) from the power outlet.

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
          Solid state?

Aint the speaker

Signal , probably some loose connection or solder joint , leaking through
          I believe it is SS. I was gonna remove the speakers and check for loose connections, but I guess is not needed, right? Where should I check for a loose connection or solder joint?
          "I don't want to be a product of my environment, I want my environment to be a product of me."

Comment

If it hisses with the volume down
            I would think something around the output transformer has a bad solder joint
            The hiss is the small arc of power passing over the gap

That would be where I'd start

Oh wait
            Does it have an effects loop

Jump that with a patch cable first
            EHD

Comment

If it hisses with the volume down
              I would think something around the output transformer has a bad solder joint
              The hiss is the small arc of power passing over the gap

That would be where I'd start

Oh wait
              Does it have an effects loop

Jump that with a patch cable first
              Good idea, although I tried it and it was still hissing. I guess I'll have to open it and and check the output section to see if there is any apparent problem.

Comment

Another thing. I tried using the headphones output and sound (guitar) comes out of the headphones and the speaker is muted (as it should). However, the hissing continues to com out through the speakers but no through the headphones.

Are the speakers the problem? I can remove them and have a quick look if there is anything wrong there. Also, since the amp is SS, I could turn it on with the speakers disconnected, right? This way I can see if the hissing actually comes through them and not some other part.

Comment

I think the headphone uses a different tap on the output transformer
                  EHD

Comment

I think the headphone uses a different tap on the output transformer
                    The amp is SS, so it probably doesn't have an output transformer.

Like others have said, I seriously doubt that the speaker is the cause here. And I agree with ehdwuld that the source of the hiss appears to be after where the headphone signal is tapped off.
                    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Just a wild stab, but is the speaker grounded?
                      "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"

Comment

Originally posted by Jacew View Post
                        Just a wild stab, but is the speaker grounded?
                        What do you mean by this?

The amp is grounded, as I'm using a three-pin plug to the power outlet. I can open the amp and remove the speakers to check them further, but what do I check exactly?

Comment

Originally posted by waltschwarzkopf View Post
                          What do you mean by this?

The amp is grounded, as I'm using a three-pin plug to the power outlet. I can open the amp and remove the speakers to check them further, but what do I check exactly?
                          My Fender Mustang combo had a ground wire on speaker chassis to connect it to the amp chassis. I think it did made a slight hiss without it when I tried.

Comment

Phil Jones equipment has some pretty unique amp/speaker configs.. I suggest contacting Phil Jones, as if there ever was a company doing weird things -it's them.
                            “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Ok! I’ll constant Phil Jones about the issue, seems like the first thing to do. In the meantime, I’ll have a quick look at the speakers and give it and try with the grounding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X