AMT M1 vs M2 vs P1 vs JCM900 SL-X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: AMT M1 vs M2 vs P1 vs JCM900 SL-X

Yeah, this has me seriously reconsidering everything, but what would I spend all my tube-rolling time and money on? Practice? That would ruin everything.

Comment

Having owned an SL-X myself, it's pretty scary how close the pedals get, especially like the M2 (first clip at least).
      To my ears, just a very slight hint of bite, growl and openness missing from the M1/M2 pedals, which would definitely go unnoticed in a live- or practice situation anyway.
      Rig sounds great, especially considering size, cost and ease of transportation compared to a tube rig (which you would most likely run pedals through anyway).

Really makes one think why even bother with tube amps.

Comment

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post
        Yeah, this has me seriously reconsidering everything, but what would I spend all my tube-rolling time and money on? Practice? That would ruin everything.
        Practice would definitely ruin everything I'm not joking. I attended 2 years of jazz college a couple of years ago because of a music teaching license. The daily dose of practising needed to get all the theory hubble-bubble into motor skills without honestly enjoying it made me hate it so much that I had to decide if I finish the school and quit music forever gettin' sick of it or I quit the school and slowly re-train myself to be the instinct-driven player I was before. I decided the later and never regretted it.

On tube heads, they absolutely make sense. What would I do without them on reamping sessions? I can't show the clients a $100 pedal that "okay dude I ran your signal through this little one..." During audio production folks listen with their eyes. If their eyes see the big amp they will hear the big amp (and not the little pedal lurking around somewhere in the signal chain... er... you know)

Originally posted by JesusCrisp View Post
        Having owned an SL-X myself, it's pretty scary how close the pedals get, especially like the M2 (first clip at least).
        To my ears, just a very slight hint of bite, growl and openness missing from the M1/M2 pedals, which would definitely go unnoticed in a live- or practice situation anyway.
        Rig sounds great, especially considering size, cost and ease of transportation compared to a tube rig (which you would most likely run pedals through anyway).

Really makes one think why even bother with tube amps.
        Thanks for the good words. You're right, the dynamics feel to be a little processed, a litte like playing a mic'd rig in the studio listening through monitor speakers rather than standing before an amp that flaps the pants.

You're spot on about the transportation. That's why I started to use AMT gear. My spine gave up after an ample of heavy lifting around 2010. I used double half-stacks every show since the mid-90s and despite that we had stage hands, at the end of the day I ended up moving the hill alone at home. This and polyarthritis made my spine one day saying: no. So I needed a superlight solution to be able to continue playing onstage. I used these preamps with an EHX pocket power amp and a light cab for years (absolutely roadworthy) and lately I just go directly to the PA / FRFR like this:

Last edited by NecroPolo; 05-25-2019, 02:01 AM. Reason: typos
        Wackor
        Ørdøg
        NecroPolo
        Diabolus in Musica
        SIDrip Alliance
        Book of Shadows
        RKH

Comment

I'll take the SL-X all day every day!
          Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
            I'll take the SL-X all day every day!
            I would, I would! My spine just wouldn't.

Sometimes I get that old dawg onstage when I have help moving it out of its den with its battered 4x12" Laney Greenback cab. Mostly it serves its studio time now'days.
            Wackor
            Ørdøg
            NecroPolo
            Diabolus in Musica
            SIDrip Alliance
            Book of Shadows
            RKH

Comment

Well, I guess they cater to tube-rollers now as well. These look fascinating.

Comment

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post
                Well, I guess they cater to tube-rollers now as well. These look fascinating.
                I havent't played those yet but they are on my map.
                Wackor
                Ørdøg
                NecroPolo
                Diabolus in Musica
                SIDrip Alliance
                Book of Shadows
                RKH

Comment

Originally posted by NecroPolo View Post
                  It's nice to meet you bro, then I'm really glad to help. That was the whole point of making the video.
                  I had the D2 Diezel pedal and the B1 Bogner and they both were awesome..I sold them like a dumba** nut there are more out there..nice comparison and video.

Comment

Originally posted by moshpit817 View Post
                    I had the D2 Diezel pedal and the B1 Bogner and they both were awesome..I sold them like a dumba** nut there are more out there..nice comparison and video.
                    Thanks in the name of bytes'n'pieces. I sold a couple of them before and ended up buying back and convincing the buyers to sell them back.
                    Wackor
                    Ørdøg
                    NecroPolo
                    Diabolus in Musica
                    SIDrip Alliance
                    Book of Shadows
                    RKH

Comment

Working...
                    X