AMT M1 vs M2 vs P1 vs JCM900 SL-X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMT M1 vs M2 vs P1 vs JCM900 SL-X

During tracking, a little while ago I did my A/B(CD) test to check myself if it is just my biased love for these little pedals that make me think they sound much like the real thing - or they really do. For the closest measurement, it's the same power amp / cab / mic / riffs reamped, only the preamps change.

Wackor
    Ørdøg
    NecroPolo
    Diabolus in Musica
    SIDrip Alliance
    Book of Shadows
    RKH

Re: AMT M1 vs M2 vs P1 vs JCM900 SL-X

Yeah, those are basically interchangeable to my ears. There's a tiny bit more brightness in the M2, and maybe the P1 is ever-so-slightly lower gain, but other than that, I'd be very hard pressed to tell the difference.

Comment

Do they sound that close when you perform direct live through them?

I’m wondering how much reamping levels the dynamics and makes them sound similar.

Comment

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post
        Yeah, those are basically interchangeable to my ears. There's a tiny bit more brightness in the M2, and maybe the P1 is ever-so-slightly lower gain, but other than that, I'd be very hard pressed to tell the difference.
        Uniform sound wasn't forced, I just put the pedals in the pot with the setting they had the day before. The similarity surprised me, to be honest. I guess, I try to seek a certain sound regardless the unit.

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
        Do they sound that close when you perform direct live through them?

I’m wondering how much reamping levels the dynamics and makes them sound similar.
        I A/B-d the reamp signal and the juice coming from the real guitar and tried to match them as much as possible so it is neither pushed nor attenuated, they were as close as ears could tell.

Their cab sim out into a DI box is quite functional, sounds like an amp close mic'd in one working position. Of course, because of tube dynamics it is not the same as standing before a tube rig played at the volume. But if you put a mic before the same amp and check the signal that goes into the mixing desk, it is surprisingly close. So if someone is got used to rely on wedge monitor / in-ear mix rather than standing directly before the amp, it is very hard to tell the difference onstage in a band environment.

I made a video a while ago where only the Marshall is mic'd, all the rest go DI. You can hear the difference here.

Last edited by NecroPolo; 05-20-2019, 05:39 AM. Reason: typos
        Wackor
        Ørdøg
        NecroPolo
        Diabolus in Musica
        SIDrip Alliance
        Book of Shadows
        RKH

Comment

Liked the jcm & m1 in the first clip. Second clip i liked the m1 only. I had read sometime back that those legend series from AMT use the preamp circuit of the amps except the tubes are subbed with ss components, those are really good sounding pieces of kit.

Comment

Originally posted by Hank- View Post
            Liked the jcm & m1 in the first clip. Second clip i liked the m1 only. I had read sometime back that those legend series from AMT use the preamp circuit of the amps except the tubes are subbed with ss components, those are really good sounding pieces of kit.
            I have no idea about the circuitry inside, what you read may be completely possible. When I met to Sergei Marichev, a class act and the head of AMT in Frankfurt Musik Messe a couple of years ago, he told me he started the biz back in the '70s listening to records smuggled in from the west to the east. Local musicians asked if he can build stuff that sounds like things on the records. Without even knowing the actual gear in some cases, he made synths, amps and all sorts of pedals. He had to use his ears and engineering skills / imagination only as there were no schematics, not even original gear around to check what's inside. Let alone certain components in the old Russia, he used what was around. So, on the way he invented an ample of things / solutions, his way. It led the way to the present of his guitar gear company.
            Last edited by NecroPolo; 05-25-2019, 01:53 AM. Reason: typos
            Wackor
            Ørdøg
            NecroPolo
            Diabolus in Musica
            SIDrip Alliance
            Book of Shadows
            RKH

Comment

Great vid, I agree the M1 is a clone for the sound, the other 2 are very close.
              I had 1 of those Russian beauties for awhile, definitely a different beast than all the rest of the pedal world.
              Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Comment

Yup. Between them, they are all very similar. I agree the P1 has slightly less gain. The M2 a little bit of sparkle on top. Overall, very convincing. I've been toying with the idea of a M2, PowerStage 170 (or similar) power amp, and a 1x12 cab for a silly simple lightweight and portable rig.

Comment

This video sold me on AMT pedals:

Comment

@ 80's_Metal: I agree. There is something with the response of these tiny boxes that is quite spot-on, especially if someone is from the lifelong tube amp player department.

@ ErikH: I toured from 2010 to 2018 with a similar setup (EXH 44Magnum, but the PS170 is a better choice). Never a breakdown, change of tone (tube heads can be pretty sensitive of in-house power = different sound from gig to gig), or any sort of hiccup and there were dosens of gigs per year. I can only recommend to build such a portable, super reliable rig. On the P1, the gain was set very low, much lower than I usually set it but that's how it was the day before. The M series were turned to max, the P1 barely opened.

@ CaptainWhizz: Nice video, revealing the functionality of this setup. Guess what, it is exactly the same mini rig that I toured with in the last 8 years. I switched to a more compact FRFR solution just last year. Here only the amp stage is different with same hands / guitar / cab / stage / PA gear / mics / engineer:

Wackor
                    Ørdøg
                    NecroPolo
                    Diabolus in Musica
                    SIDrip Alliance
                    Book of Shadows
                    RKH

Comment

That was one of the other videos that sold me on the AMT/ 44 Magnum combo!

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainWhizz View Post
                        That was one of the other videos that sold me on the AMT/ 44 Magnum combo!
                        It's nice to meet you bro, then I'm really glad to help. That was the whole point of making the video.
                        Wackor
                        Ørdøg
                        NecroPolo
                        Diabolus in Musica
                        SIDrip Alliance
                        Book of Shadows
                        RKH

Comment

Cheers for doing them. I ended up getting a B1 and P1 used. They're great, and give so many more options without shelling out for different heads.

Comment

I understand how easy and convient it is to use a guitar amp plugin but I prefer to put my money on something I can use both to play live and will get recorded very easily. The output of those preamps can be easily recorded as line level into a Scarlett 2i2 for example, then in your DAW put a free IR loader with some impulse response file and there you are. My only question about the M1 would be How well does it clean up when using a strat and roll the volume back? I do have the AMT SS-20 and the crunch channel is great for that, I can go from clean to mild overdrive to crunch and some lead just by turning the volume knob.
                            Who took my guitar?

Comment

Originally posted by IMENATOR View Post
                              My only question about the M1 would be How well does it clean up when using a strat and roll the volume back?
                              I wish I could give a proper answer but I have never had a Strat. The closest thing I have is a Squier '51 that has coil split option and single neck pickup, still has a different nature from a Strat. I use the neck p-up twice a year to check if it still works and the bridge split coil once a leap-year. That is far from some objective reference I'm afraid.

Anyway, considering humbuckers, the M1 feels to me pretty much like a JCM800 / 900 when the volume is rolled back. I always used single-channel amps and my clean(er) option was the rolled back volume pot. I could not notice any drastical difference / functionality from the real thing.
                              Last edited by NecroPolo; 05-25-2019, 01:25 AM. Reason: typos
                              Wackor
                              Ørdøg
                              NecroPolo
                              Diabolus in Musica
                              SIDrip Alliance
                              Book of Shadows
                              RKH

Comment

Working...
                              X