No announcement yet.

Amp that could get close to this tone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amp that could get close to this tone?

This is the tone:
    Les Paul straight into the amp. Volume 10, Treble 10, Bass 4I picked this puppy up COVERED in real floor carpeting. I was sad that someone would do that to s...

That is the sound I seek. However, I do also value my clean tone. Is there an amp out there that will get me within this ballpark of tone with a decent clean channel as well? Assuming a Marshall of some kind? Silver Jubilee? I am trying to avoid buying 2 amps. Thanks!

Re: Amp that could get close to this tone?

My Marshall Origin 20 isn't far off.

Sent from my REVVLPLUS C3701A using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a Marshall DSL20HR that I play through
      a vertical 2x12 loaded with a Greenback and a
      Vintage 30 and I can get that tone no problemo.
      Cleans are also very good. Check one out!

Comment

Great sound.

The Jubilee is indeed a good call, because it has a clean channel and it can get that type of distortion quality at controlled volume levels on its lead channel. The mini Jubilee is also cathode biased so accepts 5881s without needing to re-bias for closer to that sound. But the 100 Watt 2555x reissue will also accept 6L6GC or KT66 with an easy re-bias.

If rolling back the guitar volume for cleaner tone will do, then also consider the new Marshall SV20 mini plexi. It could probably nail that sound with 5881s and it is cathode biased. The Origin is a good lower cost alternative.

Comment

Most any Boogie...any Mark, Express, Lonestar, Heartbreaker, DC Series, et. al. Even Rectos.

Bill
          When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

great sound -Humbuckers into a most any 6L6 amp you can hit hard with vintage speakers.

Literally 100s of options.
            “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Thanks all.

Ironically there is a ‘66 Bassman at my local GC for an acceptable price. I’ve done a lot of research and it looks like if you remove the tone stack on the bass input it essentially becomes a 2 channel amp with an A/B switch. That way I could have one channel cranked and one channel clean. Would I need a master volume?

Comment

Back in the day I spent some time modifying and eventually restoring to stock an AB165 Bassman. To be honest I think you will be wasting your time and money trying to turn a vintage Bassman into a channel switching amp.

A Vintage Bassman gets that sound from overdriving the power amp. It's not a matter of having a clean preamp channel and a dirty preamp channel channel and equalizing the volume. The amp needs to be run full blast to get that reference sound. A master volume will also cause you to not get that sound.

The best way to get loud, good, cleans, and switch on the fly to a great overdrive distortion is with an amp designed to do that. Designed from a clean sheet of paper.

A non master volume amps usually clean up good by just rolling the guitar volume back a little bit and/or by easing up a little on the pick attack, but your running the amp loud to get the distortion.

Another proven strategy with a vintage non master volume amp is to run a pedal in front of the amp with the amp itself running on the edge of breakup.

Comment

Jesus, thats about the best JTM 45 tone I've heard from a Fender!! Not surprising really given Marshall was essentially an English Bassman
                  Certainly it would have been blisteringly loud in the room.

Agree with the above.....you will have huge issues with volume if you do an a/b.
                  Its either plexi pedal into clean platform or something which is designed around getting jtm tone but with a master volume.

Comment

^^^
                    My current consensus as well. I’ll go do my homework.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
                      ...... or something which is designed around getting jtm tone but with a master volume.
                      That's the Marshall Vintage Modern. They are not very expensive on the used market either. The combo is already equipped with Greenbacks. However, they are not channel switching amps. They do respond good to rolling down the guitar volume, though.

That leads us back to the Jubilee for Marshall.

The Mesa Boogie Fillmore series looks interesting for this application.

Comment

Check out the Marshall Astoria Dual. It is channel switching and loaded with KT66's. It has the gain & bark of a Marshall while definitely retaining the Fender lineage.

Comment

The Friedman Dirty Shirley seems like it fits the bill well. Not an attractive price though!

Comment

Can someone tell me more about the Mesa side of the story? How close would something like a Road King get to this?

Comment

Originally posted by StratKid View Post
                              Can someone tell me more about the Mesa side of the story? How close would something like a Road King get to this?
                              It should be able to. If I were trying to get a similar tone from a Road King (or any Recto) I'd use one of the dirty channels set to vintage with the gain around 12 o'clock or a bit less.

A Marshall Jubilee (including the Mini / Studio) will also do tones like that if you're not sure about a Mesa or don't want to spend so much.
                              Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                              And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Working...
                              X