No announcement yet.

Amp that could get close to this tone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Amp that could get close to this tone?

Thank y’all for the help!

I believe I have found somewhat of a solution: Fender Bassbreaker 30R. It is a modern take on a Bassman/JTM type thing. If I had it rebiased to run 6L6s and an M75 or V30 instead of the V-type it comes with I wouldn’t be far off. I wish they made the Bassbreaker 45 head with a gain channel, but oh well!

Comment

Originally posted by StratKid View Post
      Thank y’all for the help!

I believe I have found somewhat of a solution: Fender Bassbreaker 30R. It is a modern take on a Bassman/JTM type thing. If I had it rebiased to run 6L6s and an M75 or V30 instead of the V-type it comes with I wouldn’t be far off. I wish they made the Bassbreaker 45 head with a gain channel, but oh well!
      The speaker swap may get you closer to the tone you're chasing (especially the M75), but the Bassbreaker 30R runs EL-84s, so octal tubes (like 6L6s) literally won't fit. If you're looking for another option for a Greenback (G12M) tone with higher power handing, I love the Eminence Private Jack. I'm running a pair of them with an Egnater Tweaker and they're great for Fender, Vox, and lower gain Marshall tones.
      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
      And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
        The speaker swap may get you closer to the tone you're chasing (especially the M75), but the Bassbreaker 30R runs EL-84s, so octal tubes (like 6L6s) literally won't fit. If you're looking for another option for a Greenback (G12M) tone with higher power handing, I love the Eminence Private Jack. I'm running a pair of them with an Egnater Tweaker and they're great for Fender, Vox, and lower gain Marshall tones.
        Sorry, my brain wasn’t working for a second there. I think I might have it set up for 6V6s, not 6L6s. I’ve always been a fan of V30s and Greenback together in a cab (obviously not really an option here without an extension cab but whatever), but I will be sure to check out those Eminence speakers!

Comment

Originally posted by StratKid View Post
          Sorry, my brain wasn’t working for a second there. I think I might have it set up for 6V6s, not 6L6s. I’ve always been a fan of V30s and Greenback together in a cab (obviously not really an option here without an extension cab but whatever), but I will be sure to check out those Eminence speakers!
          EL-84s use a 9-pin socket similar to those used by preamp tubes, and only 9-pin tubes will fit in a Bassbreaker 30R. 6V6s, 6L6s, 5881s, and EL-34s (plus many others) are octal tubes with a larger 8-pin base.
          Originally posted by crusty philtrum
          And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
            EL-84s use a 9-pin socket similar to those used by preamp tubes, and only 9-pin tubes will fit in a Bassbreaker 30R. 6V6s, 6L6s, 5881s, and EL-34s (plus many others) are octal tubes with a larger 8-pin base.
            I thought 6V6s were 9 pins? I guess not. It sounds great with the 84s regardless

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
              Also OP

This Amp was famous for getting THAT sound and the most fun amp to Mod.

The "Canadian Plexi" .... the Traynor YBA-1

Canadians don't count.

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
                Canadians don't count.
                "don't" or "can't"
                “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
                  "don't" or "can't"
                  Yes.

Comment

Working...
                  X