Back to $1 Land

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back to $1 Land

Open for opinions on VIP II (or 1, but I know 4 of them that don't work) vs Rage 258-before I return 2nd VIP I. Don't need lots of effects; don't play metal . . . or anything

Dove has wings of buzzard
    And buzzard, of dove

I was there when it happened, so I guess I oughta know.

Re: Back to $1 Land

What is going on with this VIP I? If the I doesn't work for you, look at something else besides the II. Maybe a Katana or a Yamaha THR.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I second Mincer's suggestion. I have a Katana, very good bang for the buck. I have also tried the Yammies also very nice. They come in different flavors, I can't recall the lettering but the green one is metaly, go for the blue or white one.

Comment

Yes, a Katana 50, I like the wattage variability for one thing. What do you think of Peavey Rage 258? Mincer, it's not me with the VIP I. Friends have tried, and reordered. There is something with the aux/USB/phone board. Sweetwater basically said it's too cheap to fix. Trust me, you cannot live with the squeal. Your ears ring the next day, and that's low volume.
        Thanks guys, I was just looking at my trade in credit! Guess I'll save up. I do like the Rage tho. My low budget self. But, $$ is worth it if you're happy. I'm one of 3 pp I know say they can't live with this. Thanks again for all your help.

BTW, we are dissecting a couple. Results to come.
        Last edited by texred; 05-20-2019, 08:53 PM.

And buzzard, of dove

Comment

I third the suggestion for saving a little more and getting a Katana 50.

I got my dad a Rage 258 for practice. It's nothing special at all and seriously limited compared the Katana. It's fun to play around with for about 15 minutes and then I have to plug into my Katana for some relief and satisfaction.

The Katana sounds worlds better, has more features and greater flexibility. It's not big or heavy and is highly reliable.

Definitely worth the investment

Comment

Originally posted by texred View Post
            Yes, a Katana 50, I like the wattage variability for one thing. What do you think of Peavey Rage 258? Mincer, it's not me with the VIP I. Friends have tried, and reordered. There is something with the aux/USB/phone board. Sweetwater basically said it's too cheap to fix. Trust me, you cannot live with the squeal. Your ears ring the next day, and that's low volume.
            Thanks guys, I was just looking at my trade in credit! Guess I'll save up. I do like the Rage tho. My low budget self. But, $$ is worth it if you're happy. I'm one of 3 pp I know say they can't live with this. Thanks again for all your help.

BTW, we are dissecting a couple. Results to come.
            I use a VIP I for teaching. Under what circumstances do you get the squeal? I've used the USB port, but never the phone or aux port.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
              I use a VIP I for teaching. Under what circumstances do you get the squeal? I've used the USB port, but never the phone or aux port.
              My VIP2 has no issues at all

I have used the aux, USB, and phone ports
              Maybe you new to reset it to factory
              Or do a firmware update
              EHD
              Just here surfing Guitar Pron
              RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
              SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
              Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
              Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
              Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
              Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
              GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Get the Katana. Even people who don't play anything can make good use of it.
                The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Beer$ View Post
                  Get the Katana. Even people who don't play anything can make good use of it.

Agreed.

Only negative about the Katana is no fx loop, which for a practice/jam amp that isn't that bad...

Also, calling the high gain channel the "brown" channel just makes me think of the "brown note" from southpark and not EVH.
                  Last edited by kingsnake; 05-22-2019, 07:56 AM.

Comment

+1 on the Katana. $2 solution but that extra $ is absolutely worth it, IMO.

I'm not really a fan of VIPs to be honest. Like Mincer, I met them on lessons given. Even those cheaper Marshall MG10s and tiny Blackstar IDs made more sense to me.
                    Last edited by NecroPolo; 05-21-2019, 08:14 PM.
                    Wackor
                    Ørdøg
                    NecroPolo
                    Diabolus in Musica
                    SIDrip Alliance
                    Book of Shadows
                    RKH

Comment

People been complaining since at least 2014 I've found. Lots of research. OK, now I'm hooked on Katana 50, and people are arguing Fender 50. I don't care about 57 settings, and that people say this Boss is for metal, this guy has me ok'd on using Katanas clean, which I like. He's also my kinda guy-treble = 0.

Sure, I'd have little Katana babies with a dude this happy.

Oh no, not again. Wrong link: stand by: https://youtu.be/ILAdY9sJvv8
                      This is the right one. The dude cracks me up.

ohmigosh-quad is AWESOME
                      Last edited by texred; 05-23-2019, 12:11 AM.

And buzzard, of dove

Comment

Originally posted by kingsnake View Post
                        Agreed.

Only negative about the Katana is no fx loop, which for a practice/jam amp that isn't that bad...

Also, calling the high gain channel the "brown" channel just makes me think of the "brown note" from southpark and not EVH.
                        My goodness, you're a quiet kinda guy. Your name got my attn-I have a Lampropeltis alterna tat.

And buzzard, of dove

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                          I've never used any on that board, but as soon as I plug in, little e level oscillating, murderous squeal, directly proportional to master volume. My sweetie is writing a review, because he knows what he's talking about, and we've been thru FOUR of them. Intolerable. Your ears ring the whole next day, after using it with master volume on 2.

And buzzard, of dove

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
                            My VIP2 has no issues at all

I have used the aux, USB, and phone ports
                            Maybe you new to reset it to factory
                            Or do a firmware update
                            Done it all sweetie. So has my professional. With 4 so far. I was gonna trade for a II, but now I'm Katana Konvinced. I was going to keep it and operate, tighten that board, get electrocuted, but Jr's idea is better. Trade in towards Katana 50, instead of VIP II. I used to think everything was Junior's fault, but now I know it's YOU.

And buzzard, of dove

Comment

Originally posted by texred View Post
                              Done it all sweetie. So has my professional. With 4 so far. I was gonna trade for a II, but now I'm Katana Konvinced. I was going to keep it and operate, tighten that board, get electrocuted, but Jr's idea is better. Trade in towards Katana 50, instead of VIP II. I used to think everything was Junior's fault, but now I know it's YOU.
                              Fair enough
                              EHD
                              Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                              RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                              SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                              Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                              Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                              Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                              Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                              GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Working...
                              X