5150/6505 owners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5150/6505 owners

Would you say those amps capture or is similar to a hotrodded Marshall tone? I'm trying to find a small tube amp that can capture 80s tones (Extreme, Skid Row, etc) with the ability to push it into metal territory (Ozzy, maybe Rammstein with a pedal if needed).
    'Without music life would be a mistake'.

Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

Re: 5150/6505 owners

How about Jet City?

Comment

I like them don't get me wrong, but for not much money the 6505 has a lot more features I was after like attenuation, headphone jack, reverb etc...

Comment

Fair play, they are more versatile.

Comment

They are sort of descended from a 'rod Marshall sound, but the execution is still quite different. There is massively more body, punch and grit, more 'modern' flavour and feel. I don't mean that with '80s chops, gutar touch and suitable gain they can't produce something like that, they are just not '80s by nature.

My best bet would be a cheap but awesome RnR workhorse Origin 20 head with a dedicated booster pedal. Also, the mini Peavey 6505MH or the EVH LBX heads are worth checking. Or a tiny power amp and an AMT S1 / S2 preamp pedal that is voiced after the king of the era Soldano SLO100 head - but that's a whole different story.
          Wackor
          Ørdøg
          NecroPolo
          Diabolus in Musica
          SIDrip Alliance
          Book of Shadows
          RKH

Comment

Originally posted by NecroPolo View Post
            ...the mini Peavey 6505MH or the EVH LBX heads are worth checking.
            Yeah, I'm currently looking at the 6505 MH. As I live in an apartment I need to be able to tone it down now and then, so the switchable attenuation and headphone jack is a plus. Reverb and having a dedicated clean channel also helps (though I'm assuming the clean isn't great by Fender standards). Of course, none of that matters if the tone isn't there!

Comment

Originally posted by Seraphial View Post
              ...(though I'm assuming the clean isn't great by Fender standards)...
              "Almost functional" is what comes to my mind in a head-to-head comparison with the cleans of a good Fender amp

It's definitely not made for this.
              Wackor
              Ørdøg
              NecroPolo
              Diabolus in Musica
              SIDrip Alliance
              Book of Shadows
              RKH

Comment

Check out the DSL20H or the DSL1R.
                ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
                ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
                ••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Comment

Laney Ironheart may be worth a look.

Comment

I’d suggest looking at the Blackstar Venue series, maybe the HT-20.

Comment

. . . we all prefer differant sounds and hear things very differantly from one another . . . but i will take THIS sound (95% of the time) over any hotrodded Marshall tone.

Black Stone Cherry with " mannish boy / hoochie coochie man " Live - October, 2009 - Germany - Rockpalast * re-uploaded this video after account deletion......
                      Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

I will take this over any DSL/TSL (Marshall's ''hot rod amps'').

YMMV

Click image for larger version

Name:	greg red guitar I.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	5814227
                        Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

Working...
                        X