NAD: Gurus 5015 Pedal Platform Amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NAD: Gurus 5015 Pedal Platform Amp

For the longest time I've maintained the mind frame that any amp I own HAS to have a good clean channel and a great dirt channel. My primary dirty tones should come from the amp which led me acquiring dozens of amps thorough out my years; Marshalls, Mesas, Carvin, Randall, Fryette, etc. My current amp is a Mesa Stiletto Ace. Lately, not sure if my tastes are changing, if my play style has matured or I'm just getting lazy, but something changed last practice. We can't and don't play as loud as we used to anymore (various reasons) at rehearsals and gigs. Packing up my gear sucks and requires at least 2 trips. I despise lugging my amp head (it was a combo turned into head, so it's heavy and bulky). This led me to really start contemplating making the switch.

There are so many great pedal options out there now compared to when I started playing in the 90/00s. Technology and innovation never ceases to impress me. Pedals have become literal amp in the box units at a fraction of the cost of an amp allowing for endless versatility. The tone is very close. I can dial in pedals to closely resemble the stiletto ace's dirt channel. Granted there are some minor differences in frequencies and characteristics, but it's damn close.

I would love to own a Suhr Bella or Wampler Bravado; but as a full time working father that's not justifiable. I came across this on an article recommending good pedal platform amps. There's not a ton of info on the web and youtube about this brand. I must of been at right place, right time when I was doing research b/c I found it used for a really good price (which made sense for me to get).

While I only got to bedroom test it (have rehearsal tonight and gig tomorrow), here's some highlights.

The channel is clean, transparent and very useable. It's not Fender or Mesa like, but it's neutral which is ideal for a pedal platform. The tone knob is versatile (works similar to wampler's bright knob) and can easily dial in the right tone to match my board. The amp is smaller, lunchbox sized. Not as small as a Vox Night train or Carvin Legacy 3, but small none the less. Legit weighs like 7 pounds and can be lifted by a pinky finger. It has 4, 8 and 16 ohm outputs. I haven't messed with the Ichannel, but cool option nonetheless.

Description:

Here's what Guru's say about the 5015 Amp Head:

5015 is our Single Channel + iChannel™ 50W head in a lunchbox size. Thanks to its easy 3 controls you can sculpt your tone to reach best performances in every situations, from your home to a big stage. You can obtain a totally clean sound with lot of headroom to use as a platform for your pedals rig, and/or choose to get it to compression of both stages, preamp or power section using its separate controls volume and master to obtain stunning vintage or modern tone.

With the SexyTone™, you can manage the EQ curve of your amp simply with a single knob which works on 3filters simultaneously, moving the entire tone-stack curve for best result and as a fine tuning of your final tone, matching the right cab etc..

It is equipped by a tube buffered Serial loop and has 3 out on 4,8 and 16Ohms.
    Stunning tone with the highest transportability of its category.

Specifications:
    AC Consumption max: 114 Watt su 110/220Vac
    Power: 50 Watt @ 4,8,16Ohm
    S/N Ratio: 82dB
    Power section config. class: “AB” Push-pull
    Speakers impedance: 4,8,16 Ohm
    Normal In: < 1M Ohm
    iChannel In: < 10K Ohm – 100mVpp
    Send level: < 100K Ohm – 1Vpp
    Return level: < 100K Ohm – 1Vpp
    Dimensions: 290x220x160mm.
    Weight: 7Kg.
    Preamp tubes: 2x12AX7/ECC83
    Power tubes: 2x5881/6L6GC
    Attached Files
    Originally posted by grumptruck
    No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
    Originally posted by Gear Used
    PRS CE 22 (Custom 5 / 59)
    Gibson Les Paul (Screaming Demon / Pearly Gates)
    Mesa Stiletto Ace
    Gurus 5015
    Mesa Widebody 1X12
    Pedalboard

Re: NAD: Gurus 5015 Pedal Platform Amp

Sweet ..congrats! Would love to hear a clip if that's possible..

I've got a 30 watt Cicognani 'Brutus Live' class A head that I'm nuts about (same guy that makes the Gurus amps now). It's one of my most fun amps to play on account of how responsive/touch-sensitive & super versatile for tones it is..
    "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
    If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

SexyTone? The control sounds way cool, the name not so much. I’d be interested in exactly what 3 frequencies or things it is simultaneously changing.

You win the pedal wars, hands down. I’d have to take up square dancing to use that board. ;-)

Comment

Great info in here. This little amp completely makes sense, I put it on my radar.

Thanks for sharing!
        Wackor
        Ørdøg
        NecroPolo
        Diabolus in Musica
        SIDrip Alliance
        Book of Shadows
        RKH

Comment

Can’t go wrong with a single CH dual 6L6 push pull for pedal platforms!!!
          I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
            SexyTone? The control sounds way cool, the name not so much. I’d be interested in exactly what 3 frequencies or things it is simultaneously changing.

You win the pedal wars, hands down. I’d have to take up square dancing to use that board. ;-)
            I gotta fiddle with it more, but seems like more to left is lower mids, bass and tames highs. To the right, seems brighter, more presence, highs and mids.

I use a joyo pxl live which is a loop switcher, no pedal dancing for me
            Originally posted by grumptruck
            No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
            Originally posted by Gear Used
            PRS CE 22 (Custom 5 / 59)
            Gibson Les Paul (Screaming Demon / Pearly Gates)
            Mesa Stiletto Ace
            Gurus 5015
            Mesa Widebody 1X12
            Pedalboard

Comment

Congrats!

Sent from my REVVLPLUS C3701A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
              X