Got a chace to play some new high en amps some surprises

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got a chace to play some new high en amps some surprises

Was over in Montgomery and had a little time so hit a shop and played some amps.
    First off played the little PRS MT 15 through the matching cab for the first time. Was disappointing in the cab as been running mine through a Blackstar 1/12 loaded with a WGS Retro and my cab was much bigger and richer sounding. Some of it may have been just the Vin 30 not broken in but over all found that cab lacking a big surprise.
    Plugged into an Origin 50 head good vintage old school Marshall Plexi like tones but in comparison to everything else I played the build quality seems really cheap and shoddy but it did sound good.
    Now the 2 that were the real surprise that they were so similar.
    Mesa Boogie Fillmore 50. First off the cleans are very good on this amp big rich and very Fender like. Crunches were clear full and very easy to dial in. Felt almost Marshall like in some ways but different hard to describe. Great Rock to hard rock amp very responsive and dynamic.
    Now the real monster Bogner Shiva anniversary Reverb head. First off was floored by how good the cleans were on the head. Very warm and full with a nice compression. Some of the very best cleans I have ever heard on a high gain head just fantastic.
    Now the crunches this particular model has a few extra bells and whistles and more gain on tap in comparison to a normal Shiva. Crunches were very clear and defined yet nice warm and big sounding with a great compression and bloom. Solo voice just sang and would break in to some great harmonic feedback at will. Tones over all were modern defined rich and very very nice. This is a very very good modern rock amp with a unique character. This was the amp had I had the $ that would have come home with me!
    The huge surprise was how much the Shiva and Fillmore were similar in feel and tones at the lower gain stages on the Shiva. Will say though in every way that Shiva was the better sounding amp but they did sound and feel very similar and that was a huge surprise.
    Last edited by Ascension; 05-26-2019, 12:15 AM.
    Guitars
    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
    Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Re: Got a chace to play some new high en amps some surprises

A Bogner Shiva remains the ultimate amp for me. I tried one a few years ago and I just couldn't believe what was going on there.

In fact, nothing I've tried even comes close to it, maybe except the Friedman Pink Taco but it didn't impress me as much.
    Smooth, refined, harmonic. The Shiva just sounds orchestral, for lack of a better term.
    Last edited by Diego; 05-25-2019, 11:53 AM.
    Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
    Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
    Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
    Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Originally posted by Diego View Post
      A Bogner Shiva remains the ultimate amp for me. I tried one a few years ago and I just couldn't believe what was going on there.

In fact, nothing I've tried even comes close to it, maybe expect the Friedman Pink Taco but it didn't impress me as much.
      Smooth, refined, harmonic. The Shiva just sounds orchestral, for lack of a better term.
      Have played a Shiva before but this one was different than any Shiva I had played.
      This is the amp I played Anniversary model KT88's and Reverb.

Last edited by Ascension; 05-25-2019, 11:59 AM.
      Guitars
      Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
      Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Another demo of the KT88 powered Aniversery Shiva i played with reverb. This is pretty accurate as to the tones I was getting and in particular shows the absolutely GLORIOUS cleans!
        Guitars

Comment

Re: Got a chance to play some new high end amps some surprises

More of the Anniversary Shiva this time at high Gain
          Last edited by Ascension; 05-26-2019, 12:30 AM.
          Guitars

Comment

^^ Whoah!! ....that sounds like my Brutus

"Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
            If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by Ascension View Post
              Have played a Shiva before but this one was different than any Shiva I had played.
              This is the amp I played Anniversary model KT88's and Reverb.

His look has a good balance of I'm smart/I still party too much
              “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Working...
              X