X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aceman
    replied
    Re: Tube combo recommendations

First of all - lets use the proper description: You WANT a tube head. You don't NEED one. That HD500 will do everything you need straight into the board period. No one in the audience cares.

The people who listen to the Heart/Journey thing are too old and it just doesn't matter as they get their drunk on. They just want to remember being 20. The Kyuss/CoC crowd, well, it's just noise with thundering drums to get their anger out background sound.

I'm 52 and bring a Mesa head and a Marshall 2x12 to shows. Why? Mostly just for the look...but I do love the sound. But again, I don't need it.

If you are older than me and too weak to take a head and a 2x12....may want to re-evaluate why you are doing this and get a fitness program, not a smaller amp!

All of that said - I really dig the Jet City from that lineup.
    Last edited by Aceman; 06-01-2019, 08:18 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Frogman
    replied

There’s a modded JCA20 for sale that i’m thinking about getting.
    Price is great.
    Only problem is......single channel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Frogman
    replied

Depends on the number of channels.
    I certainly prefer amp dirt (especially power tube distortion).

Leave a comment:

• CaptainWhizz
    replied

Orange does seem like it would be an great starting point. Would you be getting all of your dirt from the amp? Or running pedals in front?

Leave a comment:

• NegativeEase
    replied

Congrats, You've reached that "not pushing stacks or shouldering monster heads age" we all eventually get there my friend.

The AD30 will get you there for sure. -I'm doubly biased because Orange is really the only company out there actively supporting artists and all forms rock and roll. they are easily the most artist friendly and give back the most. And I think that's worth supporting.

I have a BH Terror too -it's awesome. use it with a Vintage 30 speaker and your there for way less weight and hassle than the AD30 -but less volume of course. -I just used it on a club tour and it did fine for onstage. even playing a giant room like the Cannery Ballroom in Nashville.

Leave a comment:

• Nostalgic Distortion
    replied

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
    Is Marshall DSL40C an option?
    This would be my recommendation as well. They sound great, they are portable, & they are relatively easy to service/bias when you change your tubes. If your comfortable with that sort of thing that is?

Leave a comment:

• PFDarkside
    replied

Is Marshall DSL40C an option?

Leave a comment:

• VinceT
    replied

Used Mesa 5:25 are in your price range and would cover what you need.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Empty Pockets
    replied

AD30 is cool but definitely better suited for a 70s vibe than a modern HoF kinda sound.

I use an Orange Rocker 30 for the situations you're describing. Natural channel is like a Plexi, Dirty channel is like a JCM800 with a gain and lows mod. Maybe get the newer Rocker 15 or 32 if that's easier?

Leave a comment:

• Frogman
    started a topic Tube combo recommendations

Tube combo recommendations

Howdy everyone.

Current gear: RedBear MK60, Bugera G5, POD HD500, 4x12 cab, Mr. Black Doomstick

My days of carrying two 4x12's and two heads to gigs are over.

I've recently found myself in a situation where I need a gig-able 15-30w tube combo.

I'm considering:

Bugera V22

Jet City JCA2112

Orange AD30R

Another option is to get a small head and one or two 1x12 cabs, or one 2x12 cab, which opens up way more possibilities, but also costs considerably more.
    Top contenders there would be the OR15 or Brent Hinds Terror.

My main stuff I jam to at home is stoner/sludge/grunge shenanigans: Sleep, High on Fire, Mastodon, The Sword, Down, CoC, EYEHATEGOD, Kyuss, Kylesa, Baroness, Soundgarden, AIC, etc.

That said, I need something that can nail some classic rock, Hendrix, Skynyrd, AC/DC, VH, Def Leppard, Journey -- for a cover band.
    So yeah, need it for small-ish gigs.

Yeah, gobs of headroom is nice, but cranking a 60W tube amp is just too loud for the neighbors, and they ain't even that close
    So, sure I guess I could also consider 50W combos. 6505 Combo, Mesa .50 Cal combo, but I'm leaning lower watt.

I would LIKE to get something for $700 or less...

Any other recommendations?

edit: or..........get a good attenuator for my RedBear and get a 2x12 cab.
    Last edited by Frogman; 06-01-2019, 11:17 PM.
Working...
X