Tube combo recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tube combo recommendations

By the way - The Blackstar HT20 was not on there....I'd add that for consideration.
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
      By the way - The Blackstar HT20 was not on there....I'd add that for consideration.
      I have the head version. It’s a great little amp.

Comment

I gig with an AD30 into a Randall 1x12 with a Celestion G12H. Dime almost everything and roll back the bass a couple notches and it’s a Marshall. With the Master you can make it any volume you want with the same sound. It covers anything you can do with a Marshall or an Orange for the mere effort of rolling the bass knob a bit. Being Orange, it’s a bit flabby on the bottom end for modern metal, but can do anything from arena rock to sludge pretty well.

Comment

Tubes are GREAT. I love em. There's nothing quite like a good set of EL34's or 6L6's being really pushed.

With that said, when I need to get a lot of different sounds, the Rivera, Fender, and Marshall stay home.

I take a 2x12, a Crate Powerblock, and my GT-8.

If I need to save even more space, I take my GT-8 and a SWR California Blonde or Strawberry Blonde. People who go drink while a cover band plays don't care whether you're using tubes or not.
          Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Originally posted by Frogman View Post
            Howdy everyone.

Current gear: RedBear MK60, Bugera G5, POD HD500, 4x12 cab, Mr. Black Doomstick

My days of carrying two 4x12's and two heads to gigs are over.

I've recently found myself in a situation where I need a gig-able 15-30w tube combo.

I'm considering:

Bugera V22

Jet City JCA2112

Orange AD30R

Another option is to get a small head and one or two 1x12 cabs, or one 2x12 cab, which opens up way more possibilities, but also costs considerably more.
            Top contenders there would be the OR15 or Brent Hinds Terror.

My main stuff I jam to at home is stoner/sludge/grunge shenanigans: Sleep, High on Fire, Mastodon, The Sword, Down, CoC, EYEHATEGOD, Kyuss, Kylesa, Baroness, Soundgarden, AIC, etc.

That said, I need something that can nail some classic rock, Hendrix, Skynyrd, AC/DC, VH, Def Leppard
            , Journey -- for a cover band.
            So yeah, need it for small-ish gigs.

Yeah, gobs of headroom is nice, but cranking a 60W tube amp is just too loud for the neighbors, and they ain't even that close
            So, sure I guess I could also consider 50W combos. 6505 Combo, Mesa .50 Cal combo, but I'm leaning lower watt.

I would LIKE to get something for $700 or less...

Any other recommendations?
            Do not forget about these then :

Ampeg VT-22, Ampeg GVT 52 (1X12), Ampeg V7, Laney AOR30 (1X12) . . . all of them will nail a classic 70's & 80's Hard Rock tone.
            Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

Not a tube amp but if it's only for gigging maybe a Katana Artist 1x12" combo or a Katana Head with 1x12" or 2x12" cab? They can run at 0.5w for home and at 50w or 100w for stage. Usable built-in effects if you also want to let your pedalboard at home. Also lighter than a tube amp.

Comment

I want to thank everyone for their recommendations.

I have a Rocker 30 on the way.

I will post a review once it gets here.

Comment

Originally posted by Frogman View Post
                  I want to thank everyone for their recommendations.

I have a Rocker 30 on the way.

I will post a review once it gets here.

Congratz . . . and remember :

Click image for larger version

Name:	pics or it dit not happen.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	5814459
                  Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

If you don't mind using gain pedals, and want something that gives you plexi like tone, the Ampeg GVT15 is a good choice. Loud amp for 7/15 watt design.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-06-15 at 10.50.13 PM.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	5814606

Comment

I,m looking for exactly the same thing. I've narrowed it down to a blackstar HT club 40. /marshall DSL40.or a Fender hot rod deluxe. I,m 57 and play mostly late 60's-'70's rock. AC/DC ,early scorps ,kansas ,Trower ,Rush ,aerosmith ,ZZ top etc..something easy to tote around,loud enough for clubs,outside party's. in the same price range

Comment

Working...
                      X