X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jdean
    replied
    Re: Tube combo recommendations

I,m looking for exactly the same thing. I've narrowed it down to a blackstar HT club 40. /marshall DSL40.or a Fender hot rod deluxe. I,m 57 and play mostly late 60's-'70's rock. AC/DC ,early scorps ,kansas ,Trower ,Rush ,aerosmith ,ZZ top etc..something easy to tote around,loud enough for clubs,outside party's. in the same price range

Leave a comment:

• 67Mopar
    replied

If you don't mind using gain pedals, and want something that gives you plexi like tone, the Ampeg GVT15 is a good choice. Loud amp for 7/15 watt design.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-06-15 at 10.50.13 PM.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	5814606

Leave a comment:

• SirJackdeFuzz
    replied

Originally posted by Frogman View Post
    I want to thank everyone for their recommendations.

I have a Rocker 30 on the way.

I will post a review once it gets here.

Congratz . . . and remember :

Click image for larger version

Name:	pics or it dit not happen.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	5814459

Leave a comment:

• Frogman
    replied

I want to thank everyone for their recommendations.

I have a Rocker 30 on the way.

I will post a review once it gets here.

Leave a comment:

• donaldr
    replied

Not a tube amp but if it's only for gigging maybe a Katana Artist 1x12" combo or a Katana Head with 1x12" or 2x12" cab? They can run at 0.5w for home and at 50w or 100w for stage. Usable built-in effects if you also want to let your pedalboard at home. Also lighter than a tube amp.

Leave a comment:

• SirJackdeFuzz
    replied

Howdy everyone.

Current gear: RedBear MK60, Bugera G5, POD HD500, 4x12 cab, Mr. Black Doomstick

My days of carrying two 4x12's and two heads to gigs are over.

I've recently found myself in a situation where I need a gig-able 15-30w tube combo.

I'm considering:

Bugera V22

Jet City JCA2112

Orange AD30R

Another option is to get a small head and one or two 1x12 cabs, or one 2x12 cab, which opens up way more possibilities, but also costs considerably more.
    Top contenders there would be the OR15 or Brent Hinds Terror.

My main stuff I jam to at home is stoner/sludge/grunge shenanigans: Sleep, High on Fire, Mastodon, The Sword, Down, CoC, EYEHATEGOD, Kyuss, Kylesa, Baroness, Soundgarden, AIC, etc.

That said, I need something that can nail some classic rock, Hendrix, Skynyrd, AC/DC, VH, Def Leppard
    , Journey -- for a cover band.
    So yeah, need it for small-ish gigs.

Yeah, gobs of headroom is nice, but cranking a 60W tube amp is just too loud for the neighbors, and they ain't even that close
    So, sure I guess I could also consider 50W combos. 6505 Combo, Mesa .50 Cal combo, but I'm leaning lower watt.

I would LIKE to get something for $700 or less...

Any other recommendations?
    Do not forget about these then :

Ampeg VT-22, Ampeg GVT 52 (1X12), Ampeg V7, Laney AOR30 (1X12) . . . all of them will nail a classic 70's & 80's Hard Rock tone.

Leave a comment:

• Benjy_26
    replied

Tubes are GREAT. I love em. There's nothing quite like a good set of EL34's or 6L6's being really pushed.

With that said, when I need to get a lot of different sounds, the Rivera, Fender, and Marshall stay home.

I take a 2x12, a Crate Powerblock, and my GT-8.

If I need to save even more space, I take my GT-8 and a SWR California Blonde or Strawberry Blonde. People who go drink while a cover band plays don't care whether you're using tubes or not.

Leave a comment:

• beaubrummels
    replied

I gig with an AD30 into a Randall 1x12 with a Celestion G12H. Dime almost everything and roll back the bass a couple notches and it’s a Marshall. With the Master you can make it any volume you want with the same sound. It covers anything you can do with a Marshall or an Orange for the mere effort of rolling the bass knob a bit. Being Orange, it’s a bit flabby on the bottom end for modern metal, but can do anything from arena rock to sludge pretty well.

Leave a comment:

• Gtrjunior
    replied

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
    By the way - The Blackstar HT20 was not on there....I'd add that for consideration.
    I have the head version. It’s a great little amp.

Leave a comment:

• Aceman
    replied

By the way - The Blackstar HT20 was not on there....I'd add that for consideration.

Leave a comment:

• Aceman
    replied

And I can crank the power section without making everyone’s ears bleed.

Now THIS is a reason I can get behind!

Leave a comment:

• CaptainWhizz
    replied

JCA 22 1x12 combo, or the head with a Harley Benton V30 cab from Thomann might be worth consideration?

I've seen Leon Todd on YouTube compare his JCA 50 with his Soldano head, pretty impressive.

Leave a comment:

• dystrust
    replied

Originally posted by BenPerkins View Post
    I’d go with OR15 and a 2x12. Swap out the stock tubes with Mullards to add a little clean headroom and eliminate fizz. Currently use mine to play Vol. 4 Sabbath style jams (Soundgarden tones come easily with this amp). Also easy to get a good Angus or 70’s style rock tone.

Some folks say the OR15 is a one trick wonder. I disagree. Roll Mullards and roll back on guitar volume to clean up. It has an effects loop and takes pedals well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Tube rolling can make a big difference with some of these amps. I've never played an OR15, but it's definitely the case with the Marshall Mini/Studio Jubilee (2525). I've seen a bunch of forum posts where someone bought one, didn't like it, and returned it within a few days. These amps are EXTREMELY sensitive to different tube types and the stock tubes really aren't a good fit IMO. Mine originally came with a JJ in V1, Shuguangs in V2 & V3, and Tung-Sol EL-34s. With this complement the rhythm channel is clean, glassy, and almost Fender-like, but it's hard to control the bright/harsh on the lead channel. I swapped to a Tung-Sol in V1, a Sovtek 12AX7LPS in V3, and JJ EL-34s and it sounds almost identical to my 2555 now. V2 doesn't seem to influence how the 2555 or 2525 sound, so the Shuguangs are fine there

Leave a comment:

• BenPerkins
    replied
    Tube combo recommendations

I’d go with OR15 and a 2x12. Swap out the stock tubes with Mullards to add a little clean headroom and eliminate fizz. Currently use mine to play Vol. 4 Sabbath style jams (Soundgarden tones come easily with this amp). Also easy to get a good Angus or 70’s style rock tone. Add a Phase 90 and get a perfect Zep “Rover” tone.

Some folks say the OR15 is a one trick wonder. I disagree. Roll Mullards and roll back on guitar volume to clean up. It has an effects loop and takes pedals well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Leave a comment:

• Frogman
    replied
    Tube combo recommendations

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
    First of all - lets use the proper description: You WANT a tube head. You don't NEED one. That HD500 will do everything you need straight into the board period. No one in the audience cares.

The people who listen to the Heart/Journey thing are too old and it just doesn't matter as they get their drunk on. They just want to remember being 20. The Kyuss/CoC crowd, well, it's just noise with thundering drums to get their anger out background sound.

I'm 52 and bring a Mesa head and a Marshall 2x12 to shows. Why? Mostly just for the look...but I do love the sound. But again, I don't need it.

If you are older than me and too weak to take a head and a 2x12....may want to re-evaluate why you are doing this and get a fitness program, not a smaller amp!

All of that said - I really dig the Jet City from that lineup.

Lol certainly not weak.
    I’m a power lifter — But it’s still a pain loading up and carrying around an awkward-to-carry 110lb 4x12.
    And it takes up lot of room.
    A small (dimension) head and a 1x12 or 2x12 is much more reasonable. And I can crank the power section without making everyone’s ears bleed.

Right now I’m leaning toward the Rocker 30 combo or Jet City and a Son Set Beach 1x12 or 2x12 (Only a $50 difference between cab sizes).
    Last edited by Frogman; 06-01-2019, 09:46 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X