A Katana to the Heart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Katana to the Heart

Picked up a Boss Katana "Artist" on a whim.

I already own the Katana 100 and have been completely happy with it as a clear improvement over the Katana 50 in terms of depth of sound and added features. I could easily go on using the Katana 100 and be completely satisfied.

However, for those who can afford it, the Katana "Artist" is a worthy investment over the Katana 100. Equally capable, but the Waza speaker, slightly larger cabinet and semi-closed back design rounds out the tonal package in a way that's hard to describe. It's more lively and fuller sounding in person. Simply satisfying, to be honest. Truly handles the power the Katana is capable of in a clear and musical way. No "boxiness" at all.

Plus, the controls are back on the front of the amp. I liked the contemporary styling of the KTN-100 and KTN-50, with the panel hidden on top in the back, but for on-the-fly adjustments, it's a bit of an inconvenience, even if the layout is highly intuitive. The Artist puts the controls back where they belong.

All in all, I'm incredibly happy with it. Not everyone will want to invest that much into a non-tube amp, but you really can't get a better tone for the money and the features and manufacturer/end-user support are second-to-none.

Re: A Katana to the Heart

Anderton's has a good video comparing the 100 and the Artist, if I was picking one up for gigging I would definitely go with the Artist.

Comment

Nice score. The Katana really gets a lot of attention around here. I need to go hear one.

Comment

What's the price on these things? Why is it called 'Artist'?
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

love them. Lets face it, Roland/Boss owns this market for good reason.

They were the company that perfected the Solid State guitar amp 45 years ago -especially the solid state pre amp (while most others could only make a good solid state bass amp)
          , and they first perfected Digital effects 35 years ago

Those Kantanas are superb and easiest to use -and when you factor price -Its fair to say they are probably the best value going.
          Last edited by NegativeEase; 05-31-2019, 09:57 AM.
          “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

My Dad got one and loves it. He's sold every tube amp under 50 watts. I like it quite a bit myself, the only thing I thought was that even though it sounds really nice it's doesn't seem like it get 100W loud. It get's plenty loud but not like tube amps.

Comment

My Katana 50 is the best $229 I ever spent on musical products. Very good grap-n-go solution.

Comment

Boss really stepped up their game considering guitar amps.
                Wackor
                Ørdøg
                NecroPolo
                Diabolus in Musica
                SIDrip Alliance
                Book of Shadows
                RKH

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                  What's the price on these things? Why is it called 'Artist'?
                  $599, specs are here - https://www.boss.info/us/products/katana-artist/

Basically a pro/gigging version of the Katana. Check out the video, enough difference that I would be interested in the Artist over the regular for gigging, probably for all use.

Comment

Working...
                  X