NAD - EVH 5150 III LBX II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NAD - EVH 5150 III LBX II

Remember the thread I posted a while back about the Ibanez Premium I got in a trade? I traded it for an EVH LBX II head, lol. It was a cool guitar, but a 5150 has always been one of my dream amps, so as soon as I saw one for sale locally, I had to have it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	61711100_10157432414270746_832196836117708800_o.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	5851570

It is ABSOLUTELY KILLER. It's LOUD. Even though it's 15W and runs on EL84's, it's noticeably louder than my Krank which is 20W and runs on 5881's.

It also sounds incredible. It doesn't have quite as deep bottom end or as much detail in the high-end as the Krank, but I always thought the Krank had a little bit too much going on there. It's more focused, tighter, and squishier. The attack is not as dry, and overall, it's a juicy very modern-sounding metal amp.

I was a bit dubious at first because, in all honesty, I would've preferred the LBX 1 because it has the red channel. But this was what I found, so I decided to take a chance. The blue channel on this is pretty high-gain, though. It's mean and modern-sounding with as much saturation as you'd want. I guess it also helps that I'm running super hot modern pickups into it, lol. The clean channel is pretty good too!

BTW, it came loaded with JJ's all throughout. I swapped them out for my preferred cocktail (Tung Sol in V1, Sovtek LPS in the PI, and Shuguangs in the rest of the in-between positions), and I got a bit more lively high-end and less lower-mid cloudiness. I dig! Now I'm curious about trying some other EL84's to see if I can get it sounding a bit more big-bottle-like. I'm looking at TAD EL84's, but I'm not sure they'll fit. The Groove Tubes branded JJ's in there are already pretty tight in there.

So overall, I'm really happy. What a killer amp!
    Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 06-04-2019, 08:12 AM.

Re: NAD - EVH 5150 III LBX II

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
    Remember the thread I posted a while back about the Ibanez Premium I got in a trade? I traded it for an EVH LBX II head, lol. It was a cool guitar, but a 5150 has always been one of my dream amps, so as soon as I saw one for sale locally, I had to have it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]98849[/ATTACH]

It is ABSOLUTELY KILLER. It's LOUD. Even though it's 15W and runs on EL84's, it's noticeably louder than my Krank which is 20W and runs on 5881's.

It also sounds incredible. It doesn't have quite as deep bottom end or as much detail in the high-end as the Krank, but I always thought the Krank had a little bit too much going on there. It's more focused, tighter, and squishier. The attack is not as dry, and overall, it's a juicy very modern-sounding metal amp. The clean channel is pretty good too!

I was a bit dubious at first because, in all honesty, I would've preferred the LBX 1 because it has the red channel. But this was what I found, so I decided to take a chance. The blue channel on this is pretty high-gain, though. It's mean and modern-sounding with as much saturation as you'd want. I guess it also helps that I'm running super hot modern pickups into it, lol.

BTW, it came loaded with JJ's all throughout. I swapped them out for my preferred cocktail (Tung Sol in V1, Sovtek LPS in the PI, and Shuguangs in the rest of the in-between positions), and I got a bit more lively high-end and less lower-mid cloudiness. I dig! Now I'm curious about trying some other EL84's to see if I can get it sounding a bit more big-bottle-like. I'm looking at TAD EL84's, but I'm not sure they'll fit. The Groove Tubes branded JJ's in there are already pretty tight in there.

So overall, I'm really happy. What a killer amp!
    Congrats!
    Any sound clips?

Comment

Thank you! I'll be recording a short test later today.

Comment

The II has the advantage of separate gain and volume controls over the mark I, right?
        I think I remember liking the sounds of the mark I slightly more, but that was from limited examples, and I think the extra controls are a great improvement.

Comment

Glad that you like it. But what you said about the Krank makes me want one.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainWhizz View Post
            The II has the advantage of separate gain and volume controls over the mark I, right?
            I think I remember liking the sounds of the mark I slightly more, but that was from limited examples, and I think the extra controls are a great improvement.
            I don't use the clean channel, really. I would've preffered two gain channels. I know the blue channel on the mk 1 is tamer than the blue channel on the mk 2, but I would've really liked if I had two useable options for gain.

Regardless, I can't complain. I really like the sounds of the blue channel on the mk 2. I just wish it had a little more low-end, TBH. I'm sure swapping some beefier EL84's in there will get the job done, though. It's not like it needs A LOT more low-end. It just needs a tiny push.

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
            Glad that you like it. But what you said about the Krank makes me want one.

Man, the Krank is still my favorite amp. It barely just pulls enough volume to jam with a drummer, but throw a mic in front it, and it just records magically. It really fools the mic into thinking it's bigger than it actually is.

Comment

I tend to prefer a big tight low end, restrained but present mids, sizzle on top with dry fast attack.

Comment

Played through a couple of those amps. In particular like the Blue channel on those myself a little better than the 1 as found it more responsive to touch.
                Congrats nice little amps!
                Last edited by Ascension; 06-04-2019, 09:02 PM.
                Guitars
                Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                  I tend to prefer a big tight low end, restrained but present mids, sizzle on top with dry fast attack.

That's exactly how the Krank voicing is. At least on the Rev and Krankenstein.

Comment

Thanks for giving me G.A.S.

Comment

Alright, so the honeymoon period wore off. Here's my thoughts now:

The amp is still great.

However, I wouldn't call it a gigging amp. At least not a metal gigging amp. Don't get me wrong, it does get loud enough, but it doesn't sound powerful enough, if you catch my meaning. At full-band volumes, there is barely any low-end left. It doesn't sound thin because the more you turn it up, the more it accentuates midrange, and it doesn't quite fart out or anything, it just doesn't sound deep and thumping the way a 50 or 100W head does. I find the point where it sounds (and records) best is not far off from the same volume my Krank Rev Jr. does, actually, which is way above bedroom practice but well bellow full-band practice. JMO.

I do like the blue channel, but I think I would've preferred the red channel, TBH. The blue channel has a cool midrange which can be growly when set right, but it can also get honky real fast.

It's also pretty hissy compared to my Krank.

I still like it, though. A LOT. At first, I was so in love that I was thinking of selling my Krank to be replaced the EVH. Now, no way. The Krank sounds killer still. I'm keeping both. The blend between both is also godly. The midrange growl and saturation of the EVH and the low-end thump and immediacy of the Krank. Yummy.
                      Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 07-01-2019, 09:38 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X