banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Peavey 6505 compared to 11 amp modelers (can they keep up?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Peavey 6505 compared to 11 amp modelers (can they keep up?)

Hey everyone!

I got a Peavey 6505 120w head last week, it's a really killer amp!
    One of the reasons for purchasing this amp was that I really wanted to compare it to a bunch of modeling platforms (and also my 6505MH and EVH's but that's another story).
    For some reason I enjoy making those I suppose.
    It's just really interesting to hear how far (or not) platforms have come these days.

Anyway, I'll cut the banter for now so here's the video.
    I would love to know what you guys thought!
    Was the real amp still superior or were some of the modelers just as good?

Owner and founder of Sonic Drive Studio & social media manager for OwnHammer.

Facebook.com/sonicdrivestudio
    OwnHammer.com

Re: My Peavey 6505 compared to 11 amp modelers (can they keep up?)

Ok, Bias Amp 2 sounds like ****, I don't think they have any models done right.

AxeFX, Helix and X50 are pretty much the same only a bit darker.

TH-U is closest to the real amp.

Of those mentioned you can get 99.9% of the sound with some post EQ.

Rest of the sims are all in the ball park except BIAS...
    ---

Comment

I thought I'd also share my thoughts on all the platforms:

The real amp: 10/10
      I love how this amp sounds! I also own the 20w 6505 MH and I loved that one so much that I had to get the big one as well. This amp doesn't only sound huge and crushing (when dialed in that way) but it also has nice mids that fill up the mix nicely like no other amp can. The top end is quite gentle which helps with the cymbals and vocals. Of course this amp can also be dialed in to sound better suited for extreme metal, perhaps by scooping more and by adding more presence and resonance, but for rock/metal I really love the sound that I got. The guitars sound huge but you can hear that there still is room for the vocals. A great quality to have for an amp.
      In comparison to most of the modelers (in one way or another) the amp sounds up front without getting harsh and the single notes and chords sound fat and warm in an even way. The way the signal is compressed sounds very musical and natural. Great amp!

Axe Fx III: 9.2/10
      Most people know how awesome this platform is! I use my Axe Fx III every day for various things and it also works super well with my tube amp setup. I don't think the Axe Fx models the amp perfectly in this case. Now, I'm not saying that 'every amp in the Axe Fx is inaccurate' but just that this isn't a perfect match. It still sounds pretty great though! My biggest gripe is that the Axe Fx often seems to sound just a tad to brash and also thin on the single notes. Could also be because it's a different amp that was modeled but this is my observation anyway.

Helix: 9.5/10
      I have to be honest, I wasn't expecting the Helix to nail this amp as good as it did but the end result is impressive. I say that mostly because the 5150 amp model has been in the Helix from the beginning so it's basically an 'older model'. Didn't matter much as it's almost completely identical to the real thing. Great job Line 6!

TH-U: 9.3/10
      Also very accurate! No resonance control unfortunately but a good responsive amp model! The saturation is slightly more gentle on this one than some of the others.

X50: 9.3/10
      Pretty darn accurate as well! I love the general layout of this plugin and it's cool that the MKII 'mod' is also modeled.

Revalver 4: 6.7/10
      It's definitely not bad at all but there is something strange going on with the overall dynamics. It sounds as if there is a compressor at the end of the chain that is 'pumping' too hard.

Termionik: 6.5/10
      Not bad but it has some quirks. The low mids are too honky and the single notes sound too thin with this one. Shane is working on a new version now. He is a talented guy so I'm very excited to try his new platform.

Guitar Rig 5: 8.4/10
      I wasn't expecting this one to come as close as it did! Quite impressive for an older platform. It did a way better job of emulating the 5150 than the Recto.

Amplitube 4: 5/10
      Meh. Amplitube is a cool program though but imho the modeling just falls short. No IR loader is also a no-no for me....

Bias FX 2: 2/10
      I feel bad about this. I don't like to be negative towards a company and they seem like great people. They're products look great and the marketing is great. I do think they should work on their amp modeling though.

Nick Crow 8505: 5.4/10
      Not bad for a freebie! Not as impressive as some of the others though...

Pod Farm 2: 5.8/10
      I always include this one just for fun and to be fair, it still sounds pretty good in the mix! Old but not obsolete!

I still would love to know what you guys thought!

OwnHammer.com

Comment

Great video. Thanks for making / sharing.

The obvious good is obvious in the video, some older ones are surprisingly okay - still, the thing that left me stunned is the Bias FX 2.

It just sounds weak. I neither pro nor con it as I don't use Bias FX ( = have no experience with it) but many buddies seem to squeeze out good sounds from that plug-in. As far as it seems from this video the 5150 emulation is not among the Bias FX product highlights.
        Last edited by NecroPolo; 06-06-2019, 02:39 PM.
        Wackor
        Ørdøg
        NecroPolo
        Diabolus in Musica
        SIDrip Alliance
        Book of Shadows
        RKH

Comment

Man, I'd take any of the first 4 as a reasonable substitute for the real thing! I was super impressed by the Helix!

My first impression was that Revalver did a solid job, as well, but after you mentioned the dynamics/pumping thing and I listened for it, I sort of get what you're saying. I felt that way when I used the software myself.

Nice comparison!

Comment

I have a helix and I agree that the 5150 model in there is great. Not all the models sounds that good (but then again I might just not like the original amps as much in those cases) but the 5150, Friedman and modded jcm800 are all amazing.

Also really liked your comments on how that amp sits in the mix - huge without stepping on anything else. It's my go-to on the helix if I need a modern rock or metal sound without a fuss. Pretty much no post processing necessary, just set the level in the mix and it's great. Lots of amps need the highs rolled back to play nice with cymbals and vocals.

Cool idea for a thread.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by NecroPolo View Post
              The obvious good is obvious in the video,
              And that's the problem with video's like this. I bet you could drop ANY of those - including the Bias - in a mix and have no idea. In a room, it might be obvious solo. But in a mix or through a PA? Whatever.

The Bias did sound distinctly different I'll agree. But I bet you could even tweet that a lot closer. Maybe not.

Of course, Kemper left out to keep it fair....

Blind sound test kids - that's the only true test and few/no one does them - because you are afraid a $50 plug in is indistinguishable on any practical level from your Uber-head.
              Originally posted by Bad City
              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Outstanding job man....thorough and professional, no extended BS bias that is so common when it comes to this stuff...Thank you!!!
                Last edited by justFred; 06-07-2019, 05:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post

Blind sound test kids - that's the only true test and few/no one does them - because you are afraid a $50 plug in is indistinguishable on any practical level from your Uber-head.
                  many blind tests in this simple search...if you bother to look further you can find a bunch more:
                  https://www.google.com/search?ei=j-_...99.oS0EPY-7924

Comment

Well done. Nice video & a good idea..

What I took away from it:

*The real amp had more weight, punch & presence (balls) than any of the modelers.

*Most of the modellers were at least in the ballpark/usable (The TH-U sounded closet to my ears as well)...but there was a clear and audible difference & I expect they also feel different when you're playing. At least that's been my experience.

*That Bias amp plugin sounded weak af...

*I'm happy with my amps ...no modelers for me
                    "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
                    If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by NecroPolo View Post
                      Great video. Thanks for making / sharing.

The obvious good is obvious in the video, some older ones are surprisingly okay - still, the thing that left me stunned is the Bias FX 2.

It just sounds weak. I neither pro nor con it as I don't use Bias FX ( = have no experience with it) but many buddies seem to squeeze out good sounds from that plug-in. As far as it seems from this video the 5150 emulation is not among the Bias FX product highlights.
                      Thanks!
                      Yeah Bias is weird.
                      I've made a bunch of attempts but for me personally this platform sounds nothing like a real amp.
                      It's very hard to make it sound good tbh but again, that's just my personal opinion.

Originally posted by ibanezrocks View Post
                      I have a helix and I agree that the 5150 model in there is great. Not all the models sounds that good (but then again I might just not like the original amps as much in those cases) but the 5150, Friedman and modded jcm800 are all amazing.

Also really liked your comments on how that amp sits in the mix - huge without stepping on anything else. It's my go-to on the helix if I need a modern rock or metal sound without a fuss. Pretty much no post processing necessary, just set the level in the mix and it's great. Lots of amps need the highs rolled back to play nice with cymbals and vocals.

Cool idea for a thread.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk
                      Helix is really good but sometimes it takes a little tweaking to get it to sound just right.
                      Some amp models need less tweaking than others though.
                      I wouldn't have been able to make Helix sound this close without adjusting the BIAS parameters.

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                      And that's the problem with video's like this. I bet you could drop ANY of those - including the Bias - in a mix and have no idea. In a room, it might be obvious solo. But in a mix or through a PA? Whatever.

The Bias did sound distinctly different I'll agree. But I bet you could even tweet that a lot closer. Maybe not.

I left Kemper out because I don't own one.
                      I sold mine because I wasn't a fan.

Originally posted by Phantasmagoria View Post
                      Well done. Nice video & a good idea..

What I took away from it:

*The real amp had more weight, punch & presence (balls) than any of the modelers.

*Most of the modellers were at least in the ballpark/usable (The TH-U sounded closet to my ears as well)...but there was a clear and audible difference & I expect they also feel different when you're playing. At least that's been my experience.

*That Bias amp plugin sounded weak af...

*I'm happy with my amps ...no modelers for me
                      Great points!

OwnHammer.com

Comment

It’s weird, when I hear other people play through stuff it sounds fine to me. All of those sound similar and usable. But I know when I’m testing different plugins I hear all the subtle differences.

Comment

Originally posted by DankStar View Post
                          It’s weird, when I hear other people play through stuff it sounds fine to me. All of those sound similar and usable. But I know when I’m testing different plugins I hear all the subtle differences.
                          There is NO WAY to get a recording to contain all that you hear When you are live and especially if you are driving...

Comment

Bias Amp is better than Bias FX, in terms of amp tone. I have both.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
                            Crash49 - my music on amazon and itunes
                            http://a.co/8ht5Qes

Comment

Overall, I’m impressed with ALL of them.

I mean...10 years ago...remember how bad everything sounded?

Comment

Working...
                              X