No announcement yet.

SD-1 to TS808 mod (and some other mods)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SD-1 to TS808 mod (and some other mods)

New to modding here, I'm trying to mod my SD-1 to TS808 specs. (not bothered if it doesn't sound exactly the same, I just don't want to shell out $180)
    These are the mods that I am planning to do
    These are the parts that I have chosen, are they correct?
    Also are there any other mods that you guys would recommend?

Note: I am not the one doing the modding, my friend (who is experienced with electronics) is.

Re: SD-1 to TS808 mod (and some other mods)

I prefer the SD-1 to the TS-9, the asymmetrical clipping has more character

If you are following Wampler's specs it should be fine, just make sure your SD-1 isn't one of the new ones with surface mount components (I'm not sure when/if they changed, but I have heard the new ones are SMT).

Comment

The $40 Joyo Vintage Drive is in the ballpark as well

If it dont work

Just saying
      EHD
      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
        I prefer the SD-1 to the TS-9, the asymmetrical clipping has more character

If you are following Wampler's specs it should be fine, just make sure your SD-1 isn't one of the new ones with surface mount components (I'm not sure when/if they changed, but I have heard the new ones are SMT).
        Yeah I'm following Wampler's guide, the reason why I'm asking for confirmation is because this website has a ton of different types of resistors, capacitors, and other components. I've done as much research as I can to get the correct types but, once again, I'm not very knowledgeable with electronic components so I could have missed something. I'm also having trouble finding where R1, R8, R10, C1, C2, and C3 are located.
        Also I don't know what surface mount entails but this is what the inside of my SD-1 looks like.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	20190609_152959.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	5814523
        Click image for larger version

Name:	20190609_153013.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	5814524

Comment

Yup. Same PCB as before. Conventional components. I've done this mod before, though I spec'd out my own by going through the schematics and making the necessary changes and then I went to work with the soldering iron. Good luck.

Comment

That's a thru hole board, you're good.

As far as double checking the components, I don't have time right now, the best bet would be google the mod and make sure the values line up across a couple different websites I guess. Or if you are really industrious, google the TS9 schematic and the SD-1 schematic and see if everything lines up, you aren't looking at the component reference number (i.e. R1, R2, C1, C2, etc..) but where they are located in the circuit. HTH

SD-1 Schematic:

TS9 schematic:

And this should help find the components:

And FWIW, I still prefer a SD-1 with maybe a few mods to a TS-9. What are you hoping to get out of the mod other than a "cheap" Tube Screamer?

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
              That's a thru hole board, you're good.

As far as double checking the components, I don't have time right now, the best bet would be google the mod and make sure the values line up across a couple different websites I guess. Or if you are really industrious, google the TS9 schematic and the SD-1 schematic and see if everything lines up, you aren't looking at the component reference number (i.e. R1, R2, C1, C2, etc..) but where they are located in the circuit. HTH

SD-1 Schematic:

TS9 schematic:

And this should help find the components:

And FWIW, I still prefer a SD-1 with maybe a few mods to a TS-9. What are you hoping to get out of the mod other than a "cheap" Tube Screamer?
              Well for one I want the SD-1 to not cut off so much bass, I recorded a sample A/B with the SD-1 and the amount of bass it cuts out is ungodly. I also want to tone down on its sharp sounding bite, make it a bit warmer and smooth but not loose all of that bite.

Comment

If you don't want a bass cut, there are other mods to look into, the TS9 cuts bass too and has a big midrange hump. But, give it a shot, if that doesn't work for you, you might check out some of Monte Allums mods - http://monteallums.com/ They are a little expensive for a few components, but he has already done the research and makes it very convenient.

Comment

The below is from several years back when I modded pedals for fun. Haven't done anything in years. One thing I didn't mention in this was the pot values. One or two of the pot values are different between the two pedals.

Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive to Ibanez TS808 Tubescreamer Conversion

This was fairly easy to do though I must stress, this DOES NOT make this pedal a TS808 in any
                  way. There are several more part differences than these between the two. The biggest difference
                  between the TS variants and the SD-1 is the diode clipping. Ibanez uses symmetrical and Boss
                  uses asymmetrical. Remove D6 and put a jumper in its place to make the SD-1 have symmetrical
                  clipping. D4 and D5 are a pair of the stock silicon diodes.

Some capacitors need to be adjusted.
                   C1 change from 0.047uf to 0.02uf (0.022uf will work fine here too).
                   C2 change from 0.018uf to 1uf NP (non-polarity).
                   C4 change from 0.018uf to 0.22uf (I put two 0.1uf caps in parallel to get as close as I
                  could, 0.2uf).
                   C6 remove.
                   C7 change from 1uf electrolytic to 1uf NP (non-polarity).
                   C8 change from 0.047uf to 0.1uf.
                   C10 change from 1uf to 10uf.

Next are a few resistor changes.
                   R1 change from 10k to 1k.
                   R2 change from 470k to 510k.
                   R4 change from 100k to 10k.
                   R5 change from 33k to 51k.
                   R7 change from 10k to 1k.
                   R10 change from 4.7k to 1k.
                   R16 change from 1k to 100 ohms.
                   R17 change from 100k to 10k.

And lastly, if you wish, change the LED to green from the stock red. It’s easier than repainting
                  the whole enclosure. It’s just my own little personal touch. Everybody else uses blue or purple or
                  some other color. So, I picked green.

Again, these changes don’t make the SD-1 a TS-808, but they do get it in the ballpark and give it
                  that flavor, which is what I was aiming for.
                  Last edited by ErikH; 06-10-2019, 08:03 AM.

Comment

can you run through that list and saw what each change does? if you, or someone else, knows of course. i dont which is why i ask

Comment

I honestly can’t remember what each change does. Lol. I wrote this up after I compared the schematics and made notes part for part and changed the SD-1 accordingly to
                      match the TS808. It really did sound like a TS 808 afterwards. I think if I had the pots to change out it would’ve been spot on.

Comment

Working...
                      X