Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wondering if the Micro Dark can gig?

Why, hell yes, it can!

We played our Sabbath tribute last night in Northglenn, north of Denver. I used my friend's Rivera 4x10 cab, and it sounded pretty dang good, to me. There is something quite satisfying about putting such a little amp on the cab, yet getting such a big sound.

Anywho, here's Supernaut and Into The Void.

- Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
    Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
    The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Re: Wondering if the Micro Dark can gig?

Are you using the stock tube or did you swap it out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

In my last gigging band I would use either a Green Matamp GT120 or a vintage Sunn model T (120w and 150w respectively) and the only time the rest of the band ever asked me to turn down was when I used a Micro Dark at a gig.

For an amp the size and price of a pedal, it's a ridiculously useful tool.
      green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Originally posted by BenPerkins View Post
        Are you using the stock tube or did you swap it out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
        I did. It's got a Telfunken in it that is probably worth more than the amp was new. It's a bit clearer and louder, for sure.
        - Tom

Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.

Comment

Originally posted by Empty Pockets View Post
          In my last gigging band I would use either a Green Matamp GT120 or a vintage Sunn model T (120w and 150w respectively) and the only time the rest of the band ever asked me to turn down was when I used a Micro Dark at a gig.

For an amp the size and price of a pedal, it's a ridiculously useful tool.
          No doubt. I think the ss power section makes it so strident that it makes the transients pop out rather than sag or squash. It's my bullet proof backup amp for my other Oranges and it weighs under 2 pounds. If they made a 50 or 100 watt version, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
          - Tom

Comment

Originally posted by guitfiddle View Post
            No doubt. I think the ss power section makes it so strident that it makes the transients pop out rather than sag or squash. It's my bullet proof backup amp for my other Oranges and it weighs under 2 pounds. If they made a 50 or 100 watt version, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
            The CR120 all-analog solidstate they make is REALLY sweet for what it is. Pretty sure the new Pedal Baby is the same power amp with less preamp EQ. I wonder how the Micro Dark's FX out into a cranked Pedal Baby would sound.
            green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Sounds good man, love that guitar.

no surprise though -20 watts is workable -I use a 22W amp often in pretty big venues. sounds like you have the gain and headroom left dialed nicely.

Your frontman should pretend to not know what the internet is, and demand the fans to send a self addressed stamped envelope like it was 1970.
              “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by Empty Pockets View Post
                The CR120 all-analog solidstate they make is REALLY sweet for what it is. Pretty sure the new Pedal Baby is the same power amp with less preamp EQ. I wonder how the Micro Dark's FX out into a cranked Pedal Baby would sound.
                I'd love to find that out as well as how my OR15's preamp would sound. 100 watt OR15. Damn.
                Last edited by guitfiddle; 06-10-2019, 10:01 PM.
                - Tom

Comment

Sounded like it had no problem cutting through. Looks like everyone is having lots of fun so there's enough concrete proof right there.

Dare I say, your humble rig sounds more like classic Iommi than Iommi has been in decades.

You probably find it so satisfying because the return you get from the minimal input is paretos princple 80/20 rule in play. We like to see efficient systems and you certainly get A LOT in return from a tiny, simple, and low-cost package here. I would have killed for something like this when I was a teenager, would have saved me a lot of time futzing around with over-sized, over-priced, and over-complicated amps and gizmos. Not saying it's the greatest amp in the world because there are situations where it would be insufficient, but damn those micro amps punch above their weight.

Here's another video I've found showing both a micro terror and micro dark being used live in a dual guitar setup:

Sounds good here also. Now if only Orange could somehow invent a tiny cab/speaker system that sounds like a full sized one.
                  Last edited by Animal; 06-15-2019, 07:29 AM.

Comment

I've seen a few people gig the Micro Terror, always mic'd up but never seemed to have a problem
                    My Bands -
                    https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                    www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                    www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                    GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Working...
                    X