banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NAD: Mesa Mini Rectifier Twenty-Five! (wowwww!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NAD: Mesa Mini Rectifier Twenty-Five! (wowwww!)

I got a used Mesa Mini Recto head last week!

I already own a 100w Dual Rectifier but I've also really wanted a mini for ages.
    They're so tiny but they really sound amazing!
    I'm a huge fan of mini amps in general but this is one of the most impressive ones so far, for me personally.
    It sounds really good, just as you'd expect any Recto to sound but with it's own characteristics.

I'm a sucker for modern mode and this amp does not disappoint in that area.
    The low end is quite tight and the range of the presence control seems a little more gentle so this amp has a very wide useable range compared to my big Recto.
    The cleans are sweet too and I love the fact that the wattage switch also changes the voicing of the amp.
    Through my real cabs this amp is a little too bright on low levels but if I turn the wattage down to 10w the sound gets much more smooth and warm, perfect for low levels so that was a huge surprise for me!

Since this amp has a tight low end for a Recto it doesn't need to be boosted.
    I personally perfer the sound of a Recto without boost anyway, but this added tightness definitely helps!
    Of course it still sounds fuzzy and flubby (as a Recto should sound) but it does all of this in a pleasing way.
    I can't wait to compare this amp to it's bigger brother very soon.

So of course I had to make a little demo.
    This ons features the clean voicing for channel 1 and the modern voicing for channel 2.
    For the leads I switched to the vintage mode.

So what do you guys think of this amp?
    Anyone else own one?
    If so, how are you liking it?
    Owner and founder of Sonic Drive Studio & social media manager for OwnHammer.

Facebook.com/sonicdrivestudio
    OwnHammer.com

Re: NAD: Mesa Mini Rectifier Twenty-Five! (wowwww!)

Tried to buy it twice, both times someone beat me to the punch. Still on the prowl for one... At a decent price, ofc. They're mostly crazy expensive even used.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    1973 Aria 551
    1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
    1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
    1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
    1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
    1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
    2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

I have the Rectoverb 25 (this head in a cab with reverb) and it’s a really great grab-and-go amp. I find it a little harder to dial in for my pedal board (which is tuned for my Budda and custom Whitney amps), but it has its own thing going on quite nicely!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by VinceT View Post
        I have the Rectoverb 25 (this head in a cab with reverb) and it’s a really great grab-and-go amp. I find it a little harder to dial in for my pedal board (which is tuned for my Budda and custom Whitney amps), but it has its own thing going on quite nicely!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
        Very cool!
        Those Rectoverbs look so cool.
        They also look a little bigger so I wonder if they have bigger transformers or something.
        I assume they sound about the same though.
        Owner and founder of Sonic Drive Studio & social media manager for OwnHammer.

Facebook.com/sonicdrivestudio
        OwnHammer.com

Comment

Originally posted by Guitarjon View Post
          Very cool!
          Those Rectoverbs look so cool.
          They also look a little bigger so I wonder if they have bigger transformers or something.
          I assume they sound about the same though.
          The Rectoverb 25 has a choke, while the Mini Recto doesn't. They sound different, but it isn't a night and day difference.
          Originally posted by crusty philtrum
          And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

A Recto not boosted can be interesting. It can be strange at first, because it has a saturated sound, but a totally dry feel.
            ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
            ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
            ••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Comment

Working...
            X