Difficulty of 5F1 build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difficulty of 5F1 build

So, I have a '57 GA-5 chassis with no cabinet to fit it in. Since the circuit is a dead on copy of a champ, I'm thinking about just populating everything on a turret board and using a 5F1 chassis/cab.

I have some experience modding amps, very simple and easy stuff.

Question is, how difficulty would it be and what additional parts/equipment should I get?

37/63 lead silver solder
    Variable temp soldering iron
    Multimeter to measure voltage

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Re: Difficulty of 5F1 build

step 1.
    WARNING: A tube amplifier chassis contains lethal high voltage even when unplugged--sometimes over 700 volts AC and 500 volts DC. If you have not been trained to work with high voltage then have an amp technician service your amp.

Comment

The caps have been draining for weeks and I would properly discharge them before working on it. I hear your point tho.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Comment

https://s3.amazonaws.com/tubedepot-c...pdf?1503416751
        not exact 5f1 circuit but good instructions, testing and troubleshooting guide.
        Last edited by justFred; 06-14-2019, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Difficulty maybe 2 or 3 on a scale of 1 to 10

Lethality 11 on a scale of 1 to 10

#1 GET/MAKE A CAPACITOR DISCHARGE TOOL

You'll need 2 phenolic boards (one to populate the electronics on & the other to insulate them from the chassis)

nuts bolts & washers

turrets or eyelets to fit to the board to terminate the components to

drill & small drill bits to drill holes for turrets/eyelets & holes in chassis to mount tagboard to

various coloured lengths of wires

Short & quick way email mojotone modulus etc explain what you want to do ask them for a small parts kits to do it, probably cost a few $ more than sourcing everything yourself but worth it for convenience

Comment

Working...
          X