Speakers for low tuning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speakers for low tuning

I am playing in E standard, Drop D, and Drop A right now. I have a speaker (some Jensen) and go high to moderate gain in practice. The amp head I use at practice is just a Joyo Zombie but my home practice setup is usually Vintage 30’s with an Orange head and an OCD thrown in.

I love the zombie (especially for it being $150) but the speaker in my home made cabinet can’t handle the Drop A with the saturation like it does with the other tunings. I don’t mind the vintage thirty but I don’t really think it sounds as good in that low of a tuning.

What are some good recommendations for speakers at the low of a tuning and distortion; I will be building the cabinet myself so feel free to throw out all the ideas you want about the actual cabinet material and shapes too.

Re: Speakers for low tuning

Maybe this derails from your original question but how about trying one of those sub woofers for guitar from ISP?
    Who took my guitar?

Comment

I use a 2x12 cab with an Eminence Swamp Thang and Texas Heat. I usually play in D (or A in my 7 string), with a sick amount of gain and they seem to handle it quite well.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

the weber ceramic michigan with paper dome sounds good with low tunings

Comment

I just use greenbacks and vintage 30s and all my guitars are in C standard. I’ve used evm-12l, swamp thang, texas heat, gk-100... always prefer the greenbacks. The V-30’s are just ok... but not bad enough to swap out lol.
          Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Comment

I've used Vintage 30's and Creamback H-75's in Drop Bb with no problems.

Comment

OP, the suspension design and magnet size of the speaker has a ton to do with drop tuning performance.

My preference is a tighter suspension on a larger magnet 10" over 12"s and 15s for super lows. -you want 2 10" speakers for every 12 inch speaker you would use to exceed the low end performance -and 4 for every 15" if you use 15s at all.

most 12"s will flub and crap out from slow movement and suspension return on low end duty -unless they are designed for it.
              “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I have a Metaltronix 4x12 cab with 4 old Made in England G12M-70 Celestions... handles high gain VERY well at low tunings... I have a 120 watt tube head and it thumps... palm muting chugs are focused and not flubby/farty..

Comment

Fane F90 will take anything you can throw at it and spit it right back at you.

Comment

How much bass do you have dialed in?
                    The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Emi Swamp Thangs with a 1990's block letter 5150, tuned to C-Std.
                      LOVE those speakers.
                      Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

I would get an EVM 12L or Eminence Legend EM12, maybe a Hempdog 12. Huge speakers, stupid power handling, I can barely carry 2 loaded in a cab.

In a Thiele-small box, Mesa has a nice one, Hughes and Kettner has a new ts12 version and the dr Z Z- best box is awesome for a 2x12. Plans are all over to build your own.

That speaker is fairly flat sounding and has great extension below 100 hertz. In a TS box you should have bass below 80 hertz or so without the roll off of normal speakers or cabs.

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
                          OP, the suspension design and magnet size of the speaker has a ton to do with drop tuning performance.

My preference is a tighter suspension on a larger magnet 10" over 12"s and 15s for super lows. -you want 2 10" speakers for every 12 inch speaker you would use to exceed the low end performance -and 4 for every 15" if you use 15s at all.

most 12"s will flub and crap out from slow movement and suspension return on low end duty -unless they are designed for it.
                          I run my POD XT Live into a ‘73 Super Reverb. Never in a million years would I have chosen this amp for aggressive metal, but the four 10s sound awesome with my D/drop C six strings, B tuned 7, and F# 8. I’m usually bouncing between a Recto, JCM2000, or the Line 6 Lunatic models, EQ set more on the scooped side but with enough mids for definition. Tons of gain on the B and C tunings, much less on the F#, but it all works very well.
                          “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

^^
                            That makes me wonder how one of those 8x10 Ampegs would sound like.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                              ^^
                              That makes me wonder how one of those 8x10 Ampegs would sound like.

The later ones (post 1970s) without the smaller square magnets, and with the shorter throw, tighter suspension can really take it in spades. Just need to EQ back in some mids from the guitar
                              “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Working...
                              X