Need amp suggestions for around $1000 or less new

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Need amp suggestions for around $1000 or less new

The blackstar wasn’t a bad sounding amp. It wasn’t one of their bigger models it was just an ID core 40. So most things would be an upgrade.

Comment

Boss Katana 100 head w/Quilter 100W cab...

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
        Traynor YCV50 Blue combo w/1x12 extension cab should be roughly in that price range used and does what you want. (The newer model is covered in black, but basically the same amp.) The EL34s and V30s will give you nice cleans and distorted sounds, it has an effects loop. The gain channel doesn't quite get into high gain territory until you kick on the boost . . . you might need a pedal for super brutal stuff.

I used to gig a YCS Blue combo and cab like the one on the right. It was decent for what I was doing at the time. Also had a pair of YCS100H heads, running into a pair of Marshall 1960A cabs. Same story. Decent Fender/Marshall tones. But I replaced with a Hughes & Kettner Triamp Mk I and never looked-back. I've sold a lot of great amps since (including that H&K Triamp, that I wish I still had). But I don't miss the Traynor stuff. Dunno if it was the cheap toroidal trannies in them or what, but the tone was just a bland impersonation of the Fender/Marshall thing at best. Still, they were an adequate stepping-stone for me at the time.
        "Always remember... all you do in life, comes back to you" - Roy Kahn, formerly of Kamelot, during the intro to "Karma" on their One Cold Winter's Night DVD

http://www.soundcloud.com/jwflamenco

Comment

Horses for courses. I've been quite happy with mine for the last 12 years.
          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I have a BH Orange head with Vintage 30 Orange cab -it's great and I toured with it last spring . Even used it at a large venue.

It's got British Plexi dirty voicing, channel switching to get to the cleans, wattage select, and an effects loop.

It's not going to get that Fender type of scooped clean/sparkle of course -it's going to be a British clean.
            “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Bassbreaker 30r is really cool, but if it's not clean enough, the other approach would be getting a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Combo (has effects loop too) to get the more Blackface/Silverface American cleans and has a slightly tighter more modern distortion than the bassman style classic of a Bassbreaker
              Last edited by NegativeEase; 07-05-2019, 11:24 AM.
              “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

PRS MT15. I gig with it. Exactly what you want. Great cleans, chimey 6L6 goodness and a very heavy gain channel. I love mine.

Comment

Working...
                X