Has the line 6 helix died out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has the line 6 helix died out?

I don’t see as much talk about them as I used to. Have people gotten tired of them?

Re: Has the line 6 helix died out?

I'm still seeing pretty heavy interest on Facebook and they still sell pretty quickly on the gear page - especially the stomp. I just picked up a floor myself for direct to PA gigs.

There appears to be a collectively held breath waiting for the 2.8 update to launch which will add a bunch of models and functions so I think that is the lull in the conversation around em.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
    Originally posted by Jakob Dylan
    It's a little gross to put yourself in every song. I mean, how interesting do people really think you are?
    Originally posted by LesStrat
    Paris Hilton's psychiatrist... Now that's gotta be an easy job. Kinda like being an auto mechanic in an Amish community.

Comment

I just bought a Headrush Pedalboard for substantially less money and love it. I gotta think that Line 6 is starting to lose a little to the competition now that it’s been out for a few years and others have had a chance to get into the high-end multi-effect market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Originally posted by The Commodores?
      "Chicken Brown Chicken Brown Cow"

Comment

I’m not a modeler, so take this with a grain of salt, but I think once people go to a Helix, they migrate to the Helix forums/areas of forums for sharing patches, IRs and settings, and kind of disappear from the amp and pedal portions. Or if they do stay, it’s for the other “full”’rig that’s separate from the Helix. I will say, I’ve seen a few boards that include a Helix Stomp, those look pretty cool.

So I’d say, still popular, same as Kemper, just less visibility once people switch.
        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
          I’m not a modeler, so take this with a grain of salt, but I think once people go to a Helix, they migrate to the Helix forums/areas of forums for sharing patches, IRs and settings, and kind of disappear from the amp and pedal portions. Or if they do stay, it’s for the other “full”’rig that’s separate from the Helix. I will say, I’ve seen a few boards that include a Helix Stomp, those look pretty cool.

So I’d say, still popular, same as Kemper, just less visibility once people switch.
          I just got mine in and I'm not sold yet. It's not as instantly gratifying as pedals into amp is. I'm not unloading my pedalboard or amps anytime soon but I can definitely see the appeal if this thing - if I can just get it dialed in as well as others seem to.

I got it at a great price though so I think I can get my money out of it if I don't like it. I'm definitely considering a stomp for my traditional pedalboard though!

It's a little gross to put yourself in every song. I mean, how interesting do people really think you are?
          Paris Hilton's psychiatrist... Now that's gotta be an easy job. Kinda like being an auto mechanic in an Amish community.

Comment

It hasn't died out at all. It's still one of the big three high-end modelling rigs (with fractal and kemper). Line 6 is still updating them and it's still their flagship product.

Try finding one used - not many people are selling them and they go pretty fast when it happens.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

Comment

Helix is about to get a major firmware update, so you'll start seeing more talk about them. With software-based gear like this, we start getting into an iPhone-like upgrade cycle though, where people want updates and upgrades all the time, and always want the current best thing. I see it on other forums a lot.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Helix is very, very far from dead. Line 6 is still planning years of support for it. It is true that it gets talked up most on The Gear Page's modelling forum and Line 6's own forums, though.

The 2.80 firmware update looks great. Lots of boring under the hood changes (refactoring) that'll make for faster future updates. Lot of annoyances fixed. Ability to make Helix Native behave like any of the hardware units... or remove all hardware limitations, so only limitations are UI (max number of paths & nodes in one patch) and your CPU. I'm looking forward to that one, it'll make it a lot easier to audition several alternative effects when altering an already overstuffed patch, even if you do intend to trim it to be usable on hardware versions.

2 new EQs (shelf & tilt) requested by Line 6 users.
                Guitarside, a number of new effects (King of Tone, Zendrive, Murf), amps (normal, bright & jumpered '58 Fender 5C3 Deluxe, same for Grammatico LaGrange, Revv Generator 120 Gain 2). Rest of Revv Generator channels coming in a future update.
                Bass gets Ampeg Scrambler, Tech21 Bass Driver, and Ampeg SVT4 Pro.
                Then there's all the integration with other products, Variax, their DT amp series, and PowerCab Plus.

I am really looking forward to the new models, tweed/modded brownface deluxes in particular. I hadn't heard of the Revv Generator before, searched youtube and while the max gain channel is great, I'm actually looking forward more to the Gain 1 channel, which has nutty dynamics for a heavy crunch channel.

I don't agree that modellers lack for instant gratification. Sure, getting the speaker modelling end of things to sound right can be a pain (finding the right IR, or if you are using the cab models, working out speaker/mic/mic distance and other options pretty much requires studio knowledge beyond what a lot of guitarists have). But being able to reorder pedalboards at whim, press one button to flip a dozen pedals on/off/change knob settings on all of them...

The problem modellers have is that, especially if they accurately model the effects and amps (and cabinets and speakers and mix, etc), is that you have the learning curve of EVERY SINGLE PRODUCT all wrapped up in one device. So if you bounce around and try everything, but don't work out that you like guitar speakers with highs rolled off above 6KHz when distorting heavily, well, you'll find everything harsh & fizzy.

I find the Mesa Boogie Mk IV models just as impenetrable as the real thing, far too many weird control interactions. Fortunately, I can download the Mesa manuals and learn how Mesa says things work.

Industrial Fuzz (Z Vex Fuzz Factory) is another that overwhelms a lot of people with the real device ("I can't get anything other than sputters and squeals out of it, HALP!"), fortunately there's plenty of sample settings that explain how to tame it out there, which apply equally to the modelled device. Being able to deliberately use the feedback squeal to mimic Hendrix live with an overheating fuzzface going into self-oscillation is a blast. Especially since you can tap to alter settings so it doesn't squeal when not desired. Or bind that control to an expression pedal, so you can rock in and out of it at whim...

Sure, those are advanced uses, not instant gratification. But I've had plenty of luck with simple setups. Tube Screamer on thrash settings (no to low drive, level most of the way up, tone to taste) into a Panama (5150), then 5-band EQ with mids cut a bit, Dual Uber V30 cab 30 & 160 mics at 1.5", high cut around 7 or 5 KHz respectively. Bit of delay for leads, tiny bit of room reverb. [If you are using it into a real amp, you can avoid the cab model/IR stuff, just use a preamp model and run it into your effects loop.] Sounds just like a 5150 should.

Then there's the Placater (Friedman HBE-100), which is just ridiculously fun for modded Marshall sounds. Or the Litigator (Line 6 original, somewhere between a Dumble and an early Boogie, ridiculously fun amp to play at any gain level).

There's models of a ridiculous number of great amps that I've never run into in a store in working condition like the Silvertone 1484 Twin Twelve, Valco Supro S6616, Gibson EH-185, GA-40, Park 75, not to mention all the amps I've never gotten to turn up to hear the power section working...

One curious thing I've found is that I like the legacy drive models better than some of the newer models, because they include extra tone controls the real thing doesn't, or just have a wider range of settings that work with my guitars/playing. So if you don't get on with the Scream 808, try the legacy Screamer instead. But you run into that with real pedals, some people prefer a clone or mod, or will test 10 of the same pedal and buy the 1 they like best (given electronics components spec ranges have varied from 1 to 20%, usually with sizable increases in price for tighter ranges, no surprise there's variance in same model from same production run even from a consistent assembly line).

At any rate, I'm far from tired of Helix. I haven't fired up a tube amp at home in over a year and don't miss it. Can't say I felt that way about the older modellers I've tried. If I missed the "Amp In The Room" experience, I'd look into a PowerCab Plus or Jay Mitchell far-field IRs (or just use the Helix as a preamp into tube power amp and guitar cab), but given I am chasing recorded sounds more than in-person, I don't need that right now.

Comment

I have the HX Effects, and find that many times I like the legacy effects better than the new ones. But I grew up on the DL4 and M9, so I have those effects in my DNA.

Comment

I bought an HX Effects some time back. It wouldn't be a unit I would go to for touring, but as far as providing effects for my needs it is almost perfect, and good enough that I am selling off all my pedals apart from the DC-2W, as the dimension chorus model still isn't good enough.

There is a lot of competition, and I can imagine that the Axe-FX III has left the Helix as "not quite top-tier". Then again, those are so expensive (and difficult to get in many locations) that I have a hard time imagining them resulting in less interest in themselves. If people were no longer interested, Line 6 would not be cranking out new hardware solutions.
                    Last edited by Sirion; 06-27-2019, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CapoFirstFret View Post
                      I just got mine in and I'm not sold yet. It's not as instantly gratifying as pedals into amp is. I'm not unloading my pedalboard or amps anytime soon but I can definitely see the appeal if this thing - if I can just get it dialed in as well as others seem to.
                      No, they aren't, it takes time to learn the unit, and to get them to sound, and operate the way you want. FWIW, I use a GT-1000 and it took me quite a while to figure it out, and I was on the verge of selling it a few times. There just isn't a way around the learning curve.

I went with the GT over the Helix because it has more processing power and I have used Boss GTs for years so I was already familiar with their programming paradigm, and, oh yeah, I got a great deal on a new GT-1K. I think any of these new generation mid to upper level modelers can sound great if they are set up right, but, they aren't for everyone. I'm still eyeing the v2 FlyRig, I like analog and knobs, I only need a couple of good sounds, not 100s.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                        No, they aren't, it takes time to learn the unit, and to get them to sound, and operate the way you want. FWIW, I use a GT-1000 and it took me quite a while to figure it out, and I was on the verge of selling it a few times. There just isn't a way around the learning curve.

I went with the GT over the Helix because it has more processing power and I have used Boss GTs for years so I was already familiar with their programming paradigm, and, oh yeah, I got a great deal on a new GT-1K. I think any of these new generation mid to upper level modelers can sound great if they are set up right, but, they aren't for everyone. I'm still eyeing the v2 FlyRig, I like analog and knobs, I only need a couple of good sounds, not 100s.
                        I really liked the GT as well, in particular that it is so flexible when it comes to routing. My biggest gripe with the Helix and HeadRush is that they basically emulate pedalboard rigs, which I am sure appeals to a lot of people, but I prefer thinking in terms of rigs rather than pedalboards, and really appreciate the much better opportunities for routing that came with the GT. I wasn't quite sold on the modelling aspect of them, and but I may well go with Boss when I am ready for an upgrade again. I found the effects in both the Helix and the GT to sound more than good enough, so I suspect that the next unit, which will have more processing and routing power than either, is going to be my last.

Comment

Originally posted by Sirion View Post
                          I really liked the GT as well, in particular that it is so flexible when it comes to routing. My biggest gripe with the Helix and HeadRush is that they basically emulate pedalboard rigs, which I am sure appeals to a lot of people, but I prefer thinking in terms of rigs rather than pedalboards, and really appreciate the much better opportunities for routing that came with the GT. I wasn't quite sold on the modelling aspect of them, and but I may well go with Boss when I am ready for an upgrade again. I found the effects in both the Helix and the GT to sound more than good enough, so I suspect that the next unit, which will have more processing and routing power than either, is going to be my last.
                          I apparently haven't looked at the routing options on the GT unit enough because the Helix has way more than I need! I snagged a powercab+ to go with it and it's doing everything I need in a much smaller package than my pedalboard and amps. I'm very surprised that today when plugging into the powercab for the first time that I actually loved the sound. It was kind of dead through my headphones abs monitors. The cab is great

Comment

Originally posted by Sirion View Post
                            I bought an HX Effects some time back. It wouldn't be a unit I would go to four touring, but as far as providing effects for my needs it is almost perfect, and good enough that I am selling off all my pedals apart from the DC-2W, as the dimension chorus model still isn't good enough.

There is a lot of competition, and I can imagine that the Axe-FX III has left the Helix as "not quite top-tier". Then again, those are so expensive (and difficult to get in many locations) that I have a hard time imagining them resulting in less interest in themselves. If people were no longer interested, Line 6 would not be cranking out new hardware solutions.
                            I use my HX Effects for acoustic guitar shows. I might be able to use it for electric ones, but I haven't tried it yet. I was happy using my M9, but the HX's 'preset-based' system is a little harder to navigate for what I want to do with it.

Comment

Originally posted by CapoFirstFret View Post
                              I apparently haven't looked at the routing options on the GT unit enough because the Helix has way more than I need! I snagged a powercab+ to go with it and it's doing everything I need in a much smaller package than my pedalboard and amps. I'm very surprised that today when plugging into the powercab for the first time that I actually loved the sound. It was kind of dead through my headphones abs monitors. The cab is great

It does the pedalboard thing very well, I think, even though the HeadRush has it beat for intuitive interface. My biggest gripe is the lack of anything but very basic parallell routing options, which is one of the things that separate a pedalboard from an actual rig. This is probably a question of firepower, but it is also something that has been the standard on TC Electronic's outings since the turn of the millenium, and it is one aspect of professionality that is still eluding these products. The Axe FX III seems to be able to do extremely well in this regard, and the GT has the Helix firmly beat, so it is something I hope will become standard beginning with the next cycle og Line 6 products.

Comment

Working...
                              X