Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Synergy amps - any opinions

http://synergyamps.com

Seems a lot like Duncan Convertible idea...just read an article where Steve Vai raved about the thing...said he can get classic, boutique amps sound he wants dead on...it IS NOT A MODELER, he repeated a few times...prices seem very reasonable if this guy knows what he’s talkin about...

Re: Synergy amps - any opinions

I've heard good things about them, Ross at Drum City said they sound great.

You're a few years behind, they are more like the Randall/Egnater MTS series in that the modules are complete preamps.

Comment

I feel Vai is a bit behind the times about amp modelers (especially since he's admitted he likes models of effects units just fine). But then, most modelers haven't modeled the guitar amps he likes best (his Legacy series, etc). I've heard him make some comments about digital latency that are nonsensical with modern modelers. But so what, there's no reason for him to change what works for him just for change's sake.

It's not like it has to be either/or, for that matter. 4CM (4 Cable Method) wiring, where you can use your Helix (or Axe-FX) before, after, both, neither, alongside or instead of the preamp, is a great way to get the particular analog sounds you feel are missing from your digital modeler, and still integrate whatever parts of a modeler you do like (even if it's just effects).

For a tube setup where you want to mix and match your personal favorites, there are some excellent options there. They've got a lot of talented engineers making sure their designs meet their standards when translated to modules. I wish they'd gotten independent EQs on more of the modules, but that can be rough on noise/space/cost. Still, your favorite power amps (or their $1200 SYN5050), $800 for the SYN2 2-slot host, and another $400/module for most of them is pretty aggressive for what it does. I wonder how many SYN2s and modules the average Synergy buyer eventually winds up with. Heck of a list of options there. Diezel, Engl, Friedman, Metropoulos, Morgan, Soldano, and with Egnater and Fryette contributing. OS preamp module looks really intriguing, as few modelers even attempt a Dumble Overdrive Special model, nevermind do it justice. Hearing a lot of rave reviews of the modules, even from people who have owned the actual amps in question.

Comment

I’ve watched this thing from the ground up. It is essentially the next step from Randall/Egnater module stuff. Bruce Egnater was talking about all this back in 2012 and 2014 when I did the amp classes. Basically a bullet proof Marshall-esque power section and interchangeable preamps. One of the coolest sounds is a high gain sound with a vox inspired tone stack. Brutal!
        Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Comment

Originally posted by justFred View Post
          http://synergyamps.com

Seems a lot like Duncan Convertible idea...just read an article where Steve Vai raved about the thing...said he can get classic, boutique amps sound he wants dead on...it IS NOT A MODELER, he repeated a few times...prices seem very reasonable if this guy knows what he’s talkin about...
          Seems pretty badass rack mount and modular products with a lot of credibility behind that company.
          “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Working...
          X