banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are you guys still using tube amps? Are katana amps overrated?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NegativeEase
    replied
    Re: Are you guys still using tube amps? Are katana amps overrated?

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
    I have:

2 modeling amps
    2 solid state amps
    1 Hybrid tube/solid state
    3 tube amps - 15, 1/5/18, and 50/100 watts
    hell yeah.

Leave a comment:

• Aceman
    replied

I have:

2 modeling amps
    2 solid state amps
    1 Hybrid tube/solid state
    3 tube amps - 15, 1/5/18, and 50/100 watts

Leave a comment:

• 80's_Metal
    replied

I've got a 100w Marshall TSL and a brand new Katana 100w head on its way to me. So I'll get back to you... soon I hope.

I've read nothing but stellar reviews on the Katana, and how it so closely mimics the tube feel and interactions.

Leave a comment:

• NegativeEase
    replied

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
    a few friends have a katana, the artist and 100w combos, they are cool for what they are but i wont be giving up my old deluxe reverb any time soon
    Considering the Deluxe Reverb by most measures is the best sub 50 Watt amp ever made, I'd say that's a fair statement.

It's not called the Desert Island amp for nothin'

Leave a comment:

• jeremy
    replied

a few friends have a katana, the artist and 100w combos, they are cool for what they are but i wont be giving up my old deluxe reverb any time soon

Leave a comment:

• NecroPolo
    replied

OP: Yes, and no.

Leave a comment:

• JimmyO
    replied

The Katana is a great amp in terms of tone, I have the 100 watt version but I mostly play it at home. I found that because each channel shares a single eq and volume control balancing all the levels etc involves setting up a channel as a preset, changing to the next channel and adjusting it and then saving that as a preset. I found the tone and level balance shifts as you crank up the master from home levels to live levels. The onboard controls work pretty well to do course adjustment to the presets but for any deep editing you really need a usb connected to a laptop or computer. I’m pretty sure some folks would be fine with this or bringing a small laptop to a gig, but for me i prefer the way a traditional tube amp responds and functions at live volumes.

So for me I use the katana to get great tones at home but use my Mesa TC50 for rehearsal and live as it sounds great and has independent controls for each channel. For the price though the Katana is excellent, the brown channel especially is very good for rock/metal and it also sounds great going from USB into GarageBand for recording.

So no the Katana is not over rated, but for me I prefer a good tube amp - though a good tube amp has much higher cost of admission and maintenance.

Leave a comment:

• JB_From_Hell
    replied

I plug a POD XT into an old Super Reverb, so I’m no help.

For me anymore, it doesn’t really matter. I could use a Katana or a 5150 and get all the tones I need. I’d argue that the 5150 probably sounds a little better, but I’d be glad to have the modeler if I wanted some sparkly clean or bluesy tones.

Leave a comment:

• ICTGoober
    replied

I have a client who used a Blackstar at home for practice and played live through 4 Marshall double stacks (overkill). He bought a Katana 50 for practice and sold the Blackstar and was so impressed he bought the 100 watt head (running through a Marshall cab) and a Katana 100 with two speakers for his live shows. This guy thought Marshall ruled for the last 35 years... He changed his mind.

Another client who plays four nights a week in a classic rock band was using two of the old Line 6 100 watt tube amps setup in stereo through Marshall cabs recently switched to two Katana 100 watt heads. He praises the Katanas as having all the sounds he needed, and he doesn't have to worry about getting them tubed once a year.

I like the Katanas a lot, but since my gigging days are over I'll stick with my little Marshall and Fender combos.

Leave a comment:

• Gtrjunior
    replied

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
    I know, but I hate to admit that -it's a character flaw -I'm working on it.
    The support group meets Thursday’s at 6pm. [emoji16]

Leave a comment:

• NegativeEase
    replied

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
    The Blackstar amps kill. No shame in them.
    I know, but I hate to admit that -it's a character flaw -I'm working on it.

Leave a comment:

• Gtrjunior
    replied

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
    Still use Tube Amps for the Bassman scoop, Plexi ballz, and Vox chimey mids.

but Katana is pretty much best price/performance series on the market IMO -Cant go wrong

For low cost tube -I'd go USED Vox AC15, or a low cost Blackstar (Can't believe I'm typing this)
    The Blackstar amps kill. No shame in them.

Leave a comment:

• NegativeEase
    replied

Still use Tube Amps for the Bassman scoop, Plexi ballz, and Vox chimey mids.

but Katana is pretty much best price/performance series on the market IMO -Cant go wrong

For low cost tube -I'd go USED Vox AC15, or a low cost Blackstar (Can't believe I'm typing this)

Leave a comment:

• CapoFirstFret
    replied

Right now I have four tube amps, a helix floor + powercab plus, a full pedalboard and i don't plan on getting rid of any of it. They all have a place. It means I have the tools I need no matter the situation.

Having said all that, I've heard great things about the Katanas and a lot of people I know are using them. I'd say they're definitely worth the look.
    Last edited by CapoFirstFret; 06-29-2019, 12:16 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Are you guys still using tube amps? Are katana amps overrated?

I own a peavey vypyr vip 3 amp and love the distortion on the 6505 but the other amps I don’t like them. The cleans are not good, can’t access the noise gate ( set by default ) and limited functions adjusting the effects. Also to much low end coming out from the amp with the bass knob set at 0 odd no?

I also use amplitube 3 with interface and studio monitors. But for some reason I don’t like tweaking on the computer, and tweaking the gain knob on the interface ( Scarlett) I don’t understand does dB meters. I like the sound that comes out of an amp and plug&play. Am I the only one? I thing is the sound simulating a cab being mic in a room?

My budget is $500. I was about to purchase a boss katana but it looks like you have to use you computer to adjust all the effects :/ anyone owns one? And what about tube amps or solid states + pedals is it worth? Any recommendations? Thank you
    Last edited by Willy25; 06-29-2019, 11:30 AM.
Working...
X