banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for a new 1x12 tube amp under $1000. Any thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a new 1x12 tube amp under $1000. Any thoughts?

I've been looking for a new tube amp. I live about 150 miles away from a music store, so I can't just go try one out. I need something loud enough to play over drums. I play mainly blues, 70s classic rock and just a little metal. My main guitars are SGs and a Strat. I really would like to have reverb and a gain foot switch. I've been looking at the Fender Bassbreaker 30r, but I've heard people really bragging on Blackstar amps. Thanks for any help.

Re: Looking for a new 1x12 tube amp under $1000. Any thoughts?

I do a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Probably -if you need a bunch of gain and switching.
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Marshall DSL40
      EHD
      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Fender bassbreaker 30r
        Epiphone Les Paul Tbte Plus (SD custom shop humbucker & SH2b neck)

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
          Marshall DSL40
          Does the footswitch work the gain on the DSL 40?

Comment

Originally posted by gsammo79 View Post
            Fender bassbreaker 30r
            How are you liking the bassbreaker? Does it seem to take pedals well and does it have a decent sounding gain channel? Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by smitty302 View Post
              Does the footswitch work the gain on the DSL 40?
              If it has a tubescreamer attached to that switch

Heck I dont know
              I ain't got one
              But it's a 1x12 ... so check
              Its 40 watts of tube, to keep up with a drummer....check
              It's a Marshall, for 80s and 90s sounds......check

Two channels
              Add pedals to taste
              EHD

Comment

[QUOTE=ehdwuld;4343571]If it has a tubescreamer attached to that switch

Okay I guess the DSL40 doesn't have gain then?

Comment

I know that you said "new", but you can find used Friedman Runt 20s for about that price range, and they sound far better than anything mentioned so far in this thread. Though they don't come with built-in reverb. Also look into the PRS MT15 and H&K Grandmeister.
                  "Always remember... all you do in life, comes back to you" - Roy Kahn, formerly of Kamelot, during the intro to "Karma" on their One Cold Winter's Night DVD

http://www.soundcloud.com/jwflamenco

Comment

[QUOTE=smitty302;4343587]

I was trying to be funny

As I said I don't have one
                    But most two channel amps switch between the clean and dirty sides

I would imagine that by definition that would switch the gain

It really depends on how much Gain you expect
                    With a pedal you can probably get whatever you want
                    EHD

Comment

I've kinda got it narrowed down to a Bassbreaker 30r, Blackstar ht40 or a Marshall DSL 40. It took a long time to save up the money so I really want to get what's best for the music I play. Which is blues, classic rock a little metal and very little cleans. Playing through Strats and SGs.

Comment

Maybe this helps...
                        About 4-5 years ago a guitar friend called and was having kind of an open jam at his gig. He had a bunch of musicians all coming down and we all got up and played.
                        Anyway, he told me to just bring a guitar. When I got there he had the DSL40 for me to play through. I thought it sounded fantastic. I left that night thinking that maybe I’d like to buy one at some point.
                        Fast forward to a couple of months ago. The singer in my band decided to buy one and since we rehearse at my house he brought the amp here. I changed and biased the power tubes for him and of course I’ve played the amp several times. I’ve noticed that the low end farts out. It’s not the speaker (70/80) because I ran it through my 2x12 and it farts there too. And my speakers can handle my Quickrod without a problem.
                        Yes, you can dial the bass and resonance controls back and lower the gain and it will clean up but, I feel like I should be able to set the controls wherever I want without having to compromise so the amp works ok. It was making this farting before I changed tubes too, so it isn’t that. The tube swap helped a little bit didn’t cure it. This amp it the earlier DSL40C and not the later CR version. There are actually threads about this on the Marshall forum. Don’t get me wrong, the amp sounds good, but I feel that you may have to compromise for it to sound good.

I own a Blackstar Studio HT-20 head. Very similar to the 40W combo. And I’ve used the combo a couple of times in the past as well. I feel like it is a superior amp where I can use any setting I want without compromise.
                        However, I’d suggest playing through these amps if possible before making a decision. Your own ears are the deciding factor.

Comment

[QUOTE=smitty302;4343587]

Actually it has tons of gain. There are two channels, Classic (low gain) and Ultra (high gain) that are foot switchable. Each channel has two gain modes. The Classic Ch lowest gain is clean clean. It runs through a fixed Fender black face tone stack built into the signal path in this mode. The other mode is crunch. The classic channel crunch mode really takes boost pedals well. Many only use the crunch mode with pedals all the time as a one channel amp. The Ultra channel has Lead 1 and Lead 2. Lead 1 has plenty of gain for classic rock and 80's metal. Lead 2 probably has too much gain for many applications, but it's there if needed.

Last year Marshall redid the DSL40 calling it the DSL40CR. On the CR there is a foot switchable extra master volume, and the modes can be switched within channels with a midi controller if needed. The entry level speaker was also upgraded to the Celestion V type.

Comment

[QUOTE=Lake Placid Blues;4344556]
                            Originally posted by smitty302 View Post

Actually it has tons of gain. There are two channels, Classic (low gain) and Ultra (high gain) that are foot switchable. Each channel has two gain modes. The Classic Ch lowest gain is clean clean. It runs through a fixed Fender black face tone stack built into the signal path in this mode. The other mode is crunch. The classic channel crunch mode really takes boost pedals well. Many only use the crunch mode with pedals all the time as a one channel amp. The Ultra channel has Lead 1 and Lead 2. Lead 1 has plenty of gain for classic rock and 80's metal. Lead 2 probably has too much gain for many applications, but it's there if needed.

Last year Marshall redid the DSL40 calling it the DSL40CR. On the CR there is a foot switchable extra master volume, and the modes can be switched within channels with a midi controller if needed. The entry level speaker was also upgraded to the Celestion V type.
                            From what I understand, the farty issue has been addressed as well.

Comment

[QUOTE=Gtrjunior;4344562]
                              Originally posted by Lake Placid Blues View Post

From what I understand, the farty issue has been addressed as well.
                              What is that farty issue?
                              That amp is in my top 3 to purchase

Comment

Working...
                              X