No announcement yet.

Fender Hotrod Deluxe clean sound (jazz)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender Hotrod Deluxe clean sound (jazz)

Vili T, a friend of mine, recently released an EP of jazz cover tunes. This track was included there:

His amp of choice is a Hotrod Deluxe. From the engineer aspect, it was one of the most instantly functional amps to record I've worked in a long while (and not in a Marshall JCM branch). I'm not sure and have no A/B test experience but to my memories the tone is pretty damn close to a Twin. The one thing I'm sure about is that it vastly outperformed anything I recorded clean during the last couple of years.

What sets the Hotrod Deluxe apart is its warmth and range (from old jazzy through country to contemporary clean). Think "pleasant". It is vastly different from a SS clean like the Jazz Chorus (that I greatly dislike either as a player or a recording guy, to be honest) or anything modelling whatsoever.

Also it is a ridiculously good pedal platform. Vili uses a clever floorboard that goes from this nice to modern high gain and this thing sings. So, if your direction is clean (or pedal platform) and you're scanning the horizont for a new combo, check this one out.
    Last edited by NecroPolo; 07-02-2019, 07:17 AM. Reason: typos
    Wackor
    Ørdøg
    NecroPolo
    Diabolus in Musica
    SIDrip Alliance
    Book of Shadows
    RKH

Re: Fender Hotrod Deluxe clean sound (jazz)

Sounds great, and cool to know -I would have never picked a HRD for this application without hearing this -but rather one of the other Deluxes by nature.

I've always seen them as angry, but then again -I've never tried to clean it up much.
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Are you sure that there is the stock speaker used? I found my BD (HRD's older brother) most promising, but the speaker lacked.
      I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

There's a reason they are Fender's best selling amp. :P
        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
          There's a reason they are Fender's best selling amp. :P
          Interesting. I thought Blackface Deluxe Reverb was the best selling.

I used a club backline HRD at a show in Denver last year and loved it.
          “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by TMD
            Do you know which version of the HRD he has?
            As far as I know it is a mark III but I might be wrong about it. I sent a message to Vili.

Originally posted by hamerfan View Post
            Are you sure that there is the stock speaker used? I found my BD (HRD's older brother) most promising, but the speaker lacked.
            To my knowledge the amp is in a vanilla state, straight from the shop in 2018. No mods whatsoever.
            Wackor
            Ørdøg
            NecroPolo
            Diabolus in Musica
            SIDrip Alliance
            Book of Shadows
            RKH

Comment

Originally posted by NecroPolo View Post
              As far as I know it is a mark III but I might be wrong about it. I sent a message to Vili.
              Okay I was wrong. It's a IV.
              Wackor
              Ørdøg
              NecroPolo
              Diabolus in Musica
              SIDrip Alliance
              Book of Shadows
              RKH

Comment

Originally posted by NecroPolo View Post
                Okay I was wrong. It's a IV.
                Those come with a Celestion A-Type, yes?

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
                  Those come with a Celestion A-Type, yes?
                  The one with the red label, yes.
                  Wackor
                  Ørdøg
                  NecroPolo
                  Diabolus in Musica
                  SIDrip Alliance
                  Book of Shadows
                  RKH

Comment

Working...
                  X