banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I just played a tube amp for the first time! ( newbie)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just played a tube amp for the first time! ( newbie)

One thing to consider. Replacing tubes in a combo can be difficult due to limited room, versus replacing them in a head where there’s more room. The Bugera V22 looks like a nice amp - maybe check the back where the tubes are located to see how much room there is.

On one of my combos, I can easily swap out the tubes by turning the amp upside down. You might need to do this with the V22?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Re: I just played a tube amp for the first time! ( newbie)

Originally posted by BenPerkins View Post
      One thing to consider. Replacing tubes in a combo can be difficult due to limited room, versus replacing them in a head where there’s more room. The Bugera V22 looks like a nice amp - maybe check the back where the tubes are located to see how much room there is.

On one of my combos, I can easily swap out the tubes by turning the amp upside down. You might need to do this with the V22?

Thanks I’ll take a look at that when I purchase the amp that I will want. ( don’t know yet)

Hey that Egnater amp can give vintage tones to modern ones. I didn’t know a tube amp had those features. I was already thinking of getting two amps. One now and another one on Christmas. it seems like this might be it but will keep looking.
      You said you play carcass on it how do you find the low end?
      Last edited by Willy25; 07-06-2019, 06:57 PM.

Comment

I play some metal with my Tweaker 15. I've got the head version with a closed back 2x12 with great speakers (a Vintage 30 and a K100) and it sounds good for heavier styles, but I don't think it's truly meant for those tones specifically.
        It's a bit more Marshall-esque than Carcass, but it can be worked out. It doesn't have huge booming low-end.

You also have the benefit that, if your tonal preferences do change in the future, it's an excellent clean-ish sounding amp that excels at what you'd call "70s" overdriven tones.
        Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
        Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
        Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
        Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Originally posted by Willy25 View Post
          Thanks I’ll take a look at that when I purchase the amp that I will want. ( don’t know yet)

Hey that Egnater amp can give vintage tones to modern ones. I didn’t know a tube amp had those features. I was already thinking of getting two amps. One now and another one on Christmas. it seems like this might be it but will keep looking.
          You said you play carcass on it how do you find the low end?
          If you don’t care for the British (Marshall) mode in Hot mode with full Gain, you can also use a boost (EP, Tumnus, etc) or back off the gain and use a Distortion pedal to tighten it up. The stock tubes are fine, being 6V6’s. I put KT66’s in mine and it sounds bad ass.

The American (Fender) mode is great. Also a good platform to use pedals. The effects loop is great with modulation pedals. As far as the low end - ultimately it’s all about the cabinet and speakers in them. I have an Orange PPC112 and Laney IRT112 that I run the amp through. The Laney honestly has better bass response, is built more rugged, and cost like $75 less than the Orange cabinet.

Overall, the Tweaker 15 is a great amp capable of a bunch of different sounds. I love my other amps, but if I could only keep one I’d probably keep my Tweaker 15 due to its versatility and being easy to maintain.

Comment

Originally posted by BenPerkins View Post
            If you don’t care for the British (Marshall) mode in Hot mode with full Gain, you can also use a boost (EP, Tumnus, etc) or back off the gain and use a Distortion pedal to tighten it up. The stock tubes are fine, being 6V6’s. I put KT66’s in mine and it sounds bad ass.

The American (Fender) mode is great. Also a good platform to use pedals. The effects loop is great with modulation pedals. As far as the low end - ultimately it’s all about the cabinet and speakers in them. I have an Orange PPC112 and Laney IRT112 that I run the amp through. The Laney honestly has better bass response, is built more rugged, and cost like $75 less than the Orange cabinet.

Overall, the Tweaker 15 is a great amp capable of a bunch of different sounds. I love my other amps, but if I could only keep one I’d probably keep my Tweaker 15 due to its versatility and being easy to maintain.

Yes that’s what I’m looking for, boost to tighten it up and have low end.
            Looking at videos the tweaker is not convincing for modern metal tones.
            Just learned that every amp has its own specific sound/tone and that’s why
            Some people own different amps. And also why people chose a modelers to play
            Live. To have all the tones known to man kind lol.

I’ll get two amps instead I’ll go with the Bugera V22 or the tweaker for the cleans,
            Bluesy stuff and hard rock and for the high gain brutal I will keep looking maybe the g20 will see.
            But till Christmas. I’ll be using my modeler for that stuff.
            The reason I’m going for one of those amps first instead of a high gain amp ( metal head myself lol)
            Is because I have never heard the most beautiful clean sound and that crunch is perfect.

Comment

Musician's Friend adds a fresh Stupid Deal of the Day every day. These deals are in limited quantities so act now to get the best deals across every instrument category.

Tweaker 15 combo is on sale today. Just FYI

Comment

Working...
              X