banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I just played a tube amp for the first time! ( newbie)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just played a tube amp for the first time! ( newbie)

So I went to guitar center to try out some katanas plus the artist. They did sound better than my vypyr on the clean channel but on the distortion side my vypyr wins ( personally).

So i was like mmmm meh maybe worth it Trying to tweak at home but I was lazy to that lol
    After that when I was about to leave I walk by a Marshall dsl combo and just had to give it a try.
    While strumming a few chords it felt like it was my first time playing guitar! CanÂ’t explain the tone but the Response to the pick attack was better than all ss amps and sims I have ever tried. Idk the feeling lwhen you play an acoustic guitar it was coming from that tube amp.

Many people say that 40w or even 5w tube amp is loud but this one I didnÂ’t find it maybe because the master volume was set to 9 or something? Or needs to be crank to gets it full pontential?

IÂ’m gonna go with a tube amp. Will the dsl cover all genres to the most extreme metal and djent?
    What pedal are must have? Will multi effect pedal be better trough the effects loop?

Is the maintenance a pain in the ass? Lol

Re: I just played a tube amp for the first time! ( newbie)

Maintenance shouldn't be ridiculous. If you are dead set on going tube, run modulation, delay and reverb in the loop.
    Wah, distortion, overdrive and boost should be run straight in.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

I just got my first tube amp a few weeks ago, casually a DSL20cr. When trying it out at guitar center I plugged in a strat, and I was instantly blown away. I love the tones I'm currently getting with a Tube Screamer into an EP Booster into a Big Muff. (Suits both my Les Paul and my Strat). Not in love with the amps distortion channel, but I feel it will get better once the speaker is broken in. Good luck!

Comment

The amp's distortion channel might sound better if you dial in a sound with it you like and then try to hit it with a pedal.

Comment

[QUOTE=Demanic;4343685]The amp's distortion channel might sound better if you dial in a sound with it you like and then try to hit it with a pedal.

Dont have the money for the dsl combo. are the bugeras infinium g5 good for all genres? to bad cant try it a store..
          i will probably order a harley benton cab looks like it gets recommended and its cheap..

Comment

Just save up for the DSL combo. You loved it, and that's what matters. Don't cheap out and go halfway. Get the real thing.

Comment

To me tone when playing is one of the most important things, it's what makes you feel good and what makes you feel proud to play in front of others. Many of us strive our entire life for a specific tone.

You should really find an amp you like and save up for it, otherwise you will always be less than you could be.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                The amp's distortion channel might sound better if you dial in a sound with it you like and then try to hit it with a pedal.

Exactly how it's done.
                Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
                Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
                Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
                Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Originally posted by Outa_Tune View Post
                  To me tone when playing is one of the most important things, it's what makes you feel good and what makes you feel proud to play in front of others. Many of us strive our entire life for a specific tone.

You should really find an amp you like and save up for it, otherwise you will always be less than you could be.
                  The thing that I don't think a lot of people realize is, the tone that you hear when you are playing, especially if it's at a low volume by yourself, isn't necessarily what an audience is hearing. This is especially true in a band situation.

Comment

Get an amp that’s cathode biased. This way swapping tubes is easy. Egnater Tweaker 15 is a good example [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by BenPerkins View Post
                      Get an amp that’s cathode biased. This way swapping tubes is easy. Egnater Tweaker 15 is a good example [emoji106]

Not gonna do extreme metal or djent with a Tweaker 15, which the OP wants.
                      Soundgarden is as heavy as mine goes.
                      Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
                      Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
                      Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
                      Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Originally posted by Diego View Post
                        Not gonna do extreme metal or djent with a Tweaker 15, which the OP wants.
                        Soundgarden is as heavy as mine goes.
                        I use a DLS in front of mine to play Carcass.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                          The thing that I don't think a lot of people realize is, the tone that you hear when you are playing, especially if it's at a low volume by yourself, isn't necessarily what an audience is hearing. This is especially true in a band situation.

Completely agree, but he said he's a beginner so I was thinking this was for home use.

Comment

and what is more convenient for late night recordings hardware ( helix , headrush etc..) or plugins??

Comment

I have the Bugera G5
                              The head is 199 over at Proaudiostar.com
                              You will need a cab
                              I would suggest the Jet City 1x12 that I have
                              Speaker is fine
                              I have experimented with several replacement speakers

EHX speaker, clone of the Vintage 30
                              The WGS Veteran 30, clone of the Vintage 30

And others

Harley Benton has a 1x12 cab with a real V30 in it for about the cost of the speaker
                              EHD
                              Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                              RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                              SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                              Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                              Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                              Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                              Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                              GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Working...
                              X