banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Cure's Robert Smith's incredibly elaborate and custom guitar rig.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Cure's Robert Smith's incredibly elaborate and custom guitar rig.

Psych!!!!

Robert's still playing his Baritone Guitar into 6 Boss pedals into 4 Roland Solid State Cubes. The only thing that's changed in 40 years is he plays Roland Cubes instead of Roland Jazz Chorus amp.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190712_211843.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	5851896

Also love that they've taped "Cube" to say "Cure"

Name:	20190712_213000.jpg
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	5851897

Interesting that Reeves Gabrel's rig 6 ft away is $20,000 worth of boutique tube amps and Robert's is $2,000 on a non-sale day online

Name:	20190712_213327.jpg
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	5851898
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Re: The Cure's Robert Smith's incredibly elaborate and custom guitar rig.

Nobody on Duncan cares about the Cure?

Well shove your JBs and your Invaders up your 80s Metal only butts.
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I love the Cure, but their guitar sounds have never really been my thing.

Comment

As a former Cube 60 owner, yikes.

They're practical, reliable, and cheap. But even I would try a different amp for my tiny gigs. They just don't sound so juicy I think. Unless the clean channel is your thing, which is pretty epic for any combo amp, not just a cheap one. But they're good.
        Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
        Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
        Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
        Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Robert Smith has been dead for 20 years but nobody told him....

He looks like a dead bloated corpse & it’s kind of disgusting....
          I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

Comment

I'm not really into the music and I don't like the guitar sounds at all, still I think the band has a pretty great unique concept / style and created damn good songs that describe a whole era of music.

Anyway, what I loved about it the most around the early '90s were the Cure fan girls. As I can remember all were elegant, dark styled, smart, cool and did a godess-like job on the matter no one speaks about anymore in public because he will be either sued by feminist activists or be censored by moderators who understandably don't want to be sued by feminist activists.
            Wackor
            Řrdřg
            NecroPolo
            Diabolus in Musica
            SIDrip Alliance
            Book of Shadows
            RKH

Comment

The Cure isn't my thing either, but they sure had a thing going on for themselves. The amount of wannabe-Cure bands back in the day was remarkable.
              Everybody wanted to sound like them.
              Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
              Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
              Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
              Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Originally posted by NecroPolo View Post
                Anyway, what I loved about it the most around the early '90s were the Cure fan girls. As I can remember all were elegant, dark styled, smart, cool and did a godess-.
                I appreciate you spinning a positive

Comment

+1 for hot cure/goth girls

I need to listen to Love Song again, great tune

Comment

I work in the entertainment industry and production, and you will be hard pressed to find professional musicians in ANY genre that don't regard the Cure -especially the late 70s to late 80s period as one of the greatest groups of all time -it's pretty universal amongst people I've sat in a studio with or discussed music with -even Country music dudes and especially Metal dudes.

But, it's interesting that in the music lover and public at large crowds, this opinion just isn't nearly universal -they are largely niche for most Americans outside of a couple of 90s pop songs.

Oh well, if you dare -listen to Head on the Door -it's truly amazing.

Comment

The Cure's Robert Smith's incredibly elaborate and custom guitar rig.

I really dug The Cure back in the day. Their albums had a lot of variety and very original music. The voice was the glue that helped to recognize it was the same band. They got pigeon holed by that one big hit (just like heaven) and no one has really heard their full catalog since. But if you actually sit down and listen to all their albums, they went through a lot of different sounds and interesting songs. Siouxsee and the Banshees was another in that same category for me.

And also, re the OP, as we all know price point does not determine sound quality, reliably.

Comment

The Cure for me epitomizes "mope pop". At one point, I may have liked a few of their songs. Though generally, not really a huge fan.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

I never understood the appeal to be honest... minus the goth chicks... but even then, the Type O Negative chicks were more fun by a long shot.
                          Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Comment

Originally posted by NecroPolo View Post
                            I'm not really into the music and I don't like the guitar sounds at all, still I think the band has a pretty great unique concept / style and created damn good songs that describe a whole era of music.

Anyway, what I loved about it the most around the early '90s were the Cure fan girls. As I can remember all were elegant, dark styled, smart, cool and did a godess-like job on the matter no one speaks about anymore in public because he will be either sued by feminist activists or be censored by moderators who understandably don't want to be sued by feminist activists.
                            I still have a thing for women that can pull off a 90s goth/alt waif look.

Comment

That's cool. I didn't know that Smith was always using solid state stuff, and have always really liked his guitar sound.
                              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Working...
                              X