Helix LT has won me over

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helix LT has won me over

After having my helix LT for almost 2 weeks now. I can say I wish I had gotten one sooner. Is it the exact same as a cranked tube amp no. But it close enough and works very well for my needs. I had a few things I couldn’t figure out at first. But after some research I was up and running. Dialing in tones is a lot easier than I figured it would be.
    It seems to be very intuitive. It’s got all of the effects I would ever use. The headrush frfr112 works very well with it. I plan on purchasing some of the Celestion IR’s when I get a chance. I am hoping they will add some diezel and more orange amp models. I have owned a ton of amps over the years from bogner, orange, splawn and many many more. And I can get tones I like just as easy out of the helix.

Re: Helix LT has won me over

I agree that it's lacking the modern Orange sound. That's why I went out and bought a dark terror, which is admittedly absurd because the Helix is so much better than any single tube amp. I also find the fuzzes lacking to the point that I've started building my own.

But that's really nitpicking. I can dial in almost any guitar tone I want in a few minutes and all my favorite tones are there. It's really amazing for recording.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

Comment

A friend of mine has a comparatively modest HX Stomp and it's damn impressive. We're scratching maybe 20% of what it does and it's amazing.

Can't quite wrap my head around it's bigger brothers.
      Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
      Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
      Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
      Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Originally posted by Diego View Post
        A friend of mine has a comparatively modest HX Stomp and it's damn impressive. We're scratching maybe 20% of what it does and it's amazing.

Can't quite wrap my head around it's bigger brothers.
        How about one of it's bigger brothers paired with a power section designed by R. Bogner?

Comment

FYI, the new Helix firmware is out, so new pedals & amps to play with.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
            FYI, the new Helix firmware is out, so new pedals & amps to play with.
            Firmware 2.80 is great, but there are some gotchas for upgrading, some computers are having trouble applying the firmware in a single pass. For most it seems to work after a while, but don't panic if it seems to hang, just give it a while, then power cycle [1st the Helix, then the computer too if it has disabled a USB port] and try the updater again.

A lot of nice little improvements to default settings, too. They finally fixed changing 1 cab resetting the 2nd in a dual cab block. And cab blocks now come with default low & high cuts. Which may not be set perfectly for all tastes/uses, but it makes it a lot easier to test different cabinets quickly, without constantly having to reset to a usable setting. Majority of people don't want unrealistic high end out of their speaker models... And some of those who do are stacking speaker models into guitar speakers, and shouldn't be listened to about default configuration.

Revv Generator Red (Gain 2) is a great and surprisingly flexible amp. I am looking forward to Gain 1 being modeled, which is supposed to be even more dynamic, yet still amazing for metal rhythm. Scheduled for next batch of models...

The new drives are terrific, I love the Dhyana (Zendrive) for smooth distortion. Then there's the 5C3 & LaGrange. Jumped channels on latter, raise the 'Drive Bright' a bit, and it's just a joy for early ZZ Top riffing.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
              How about one of it's bigger brothers paired with a power section designed by R. Bogner?
              Huh?
              Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
              Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
              Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
              Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Originally posted by Despair View Post
                Firmware 2.80 is great, but there are some gotchas for upgrading, some computers are having trouble applying the firmware in a single pass. For most it seems to work after a while, but don't panic if it seems to hang, just give it a while, then power cycle [1st the Helix, then the computer too if it has disabled a USB port] and try the updater again.

A lot of nice little improvements to default settings, too. They finally fixed changing 1 cab resetting the 2nd in a dual cab block. And cab blocks now come with default low & high cuts. Which may not be set perfectly for all tastes/uses, but it makes it a lot easier to test different cabinets quickly, without constantly having to reset to a usable setting. Majority of people don't want unrealistic high end out of their speaker models... And some of those who do are stacking speaker models into guitar speakers, and shouldn't be listened to about default configuration.

Revv Generator Red (Gain 2) is a great and surprisingly flexible amp. I am looking forward to Gain 1 being modeled, which is supposed to be even more dynamic, yet still amazing for metal rhythm. Scheduled for next batch of models...

The new drives are terrific, I love the Dhyana (Zendrive) for smooth distortion. Then there's the 5C3 & LaGrange. Jumped channels on latter, raise the 'Drive Bright' a bit, and it's just a joy for early ZZ Top riffing.
                I actually like how the new default cuts are exactly what I use all the time.

IMO, that's the sweet spot

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
                Originally posted by Myaccount876
                Attenuators are for pussies. Neighbors calling the cops isn't a problem - if the cops can actually still decipher the neighbor's complaint on the phone with the Marshall in the background, you're doing it wrong and it needs to be louder.

Comment

Originally posted by Despair View Post

I am playing with 2.8 today on my HX Effects. Update went fine (that was the longest set of instructions for any update, ever). So far I love the new drives.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Helix LT is the only modeler/profiler/non-tube-amp solution that I ever really liked. I had mine for a year and a half... which is pretty good for me. I would take another, but think I would prefer the Stomp for space savings, but the same tones. Would be good for the studio or for a backup. I just prefer tube amps and my various pedals (including two M9s) for live work.
                    "Always remember... all you do in life, comes back to you" - Roy Kahn, formerly of Kamelot, during the intro to "Karma" on their One Cold Winter's Night DVD

http://www.soundcloud.com/jwflamenco

Comment

Working...
                    X