Holler For A...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holler For A...

A box arrived on my doorstep this morning... this was inside.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Marshall.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	5851926

Marshall MX212 Cabinet 2x12 160W

Specifications:

2 x Celestion ‘Seventy 80’ Speakers
    MDF Construction
    8 ohm mono speaker input

Nothing too special, I guess, but after years of "practice" amps, I'm a bit excited.

I've had the Micro Dark for a while (along with an Orange 1x8, which I now have no idea what to do with) and I'm probably being a bit tender with it, but I don't feel right pushing the volume much over 3. Stuff's expensive.

Re: Holler For A...

I friggin' love upright 2x12's! Congrats!

Comment

When you put some good speakers in that cabinet, your mind will be blown.

Comment

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post
        Maybe break them in first?

Comment

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post
          "some good speakers"

You mean speakers YOU like.

However, I'm open to suggestions.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
            Maybe break them in first?
            One day is a tad premature.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucius Paisley View Post
              One day is a tad premature.
              Ya think?

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

"some good speakers"

You mean speakers YOU like.

However, I'm open to suggestions.
                Not trying to demean. I find basically anything an upgrade over the Seventy 80s. I think most people who would go for the tone I think of as coming from a Dark Terror would like Vintage 30s. Warehouse Veteran 30s are a serviceable replacement that is MUCH cheaper.

Comment

Seventy 80s are a basic bottom of the line speaker with a very flat tonal response. They work fine as a "starter" speaker, or in cabs for modelling amps because they don't color the tone. A long break-in period really doesn't improve those speakers.

I personally don't like the tone or response of them at all and there are so many really good sounding speakers available at very reasonable prices that for me, it would be a no-brainer to replace them.
                  Originally Posted by IanBallard
                  Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

A box arrived on my doorstep this morning... this was inside.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]99884[/ATTACH]

Marshall MX212 Cabinet 2x12 160W

Specifications:

2 x Celestion ‘Seventy 80’ Speakers
                    MDF Construction
                    8 ohm mono speaker input

Nothing too special, I guess, but after years of "practice" amps, I'm a bit excited.

I've had the Micro Dark for a while (along with an Orange 1x8, which I now have no idea what to do with) and I'm probably being a bit tender with it, but I don't feel right pushing the volume much over 3. Stuff's expensive.
                    Don't worry...you're not going to hurt it if you go above 3.

It's a very basic bottom-of-the-line cab, perhaps a cut above a "practice" amp speaker box. But I DO love the upright design. It will be a tremendous improvement over what you have been using, for sure. But at some point you WILL want to replace the speakers.

Comment

I have been using a horizontal MX with my mesa Stiletto for a couple of years. Securb has one too. Sounds just fine. Don't disagree that there are probably better speakers. Of course, perhaps the Mesa just can't sound bad no matter what?!?!?!?! Flat response works for me.

That said - I too would like to hear some Speaker suggestions. I'm playing Hard Rock / Metal so perhaps some Red Coats?

I'ver seen that vertical cab. It would be cool with my H&K Tubemeister!
                      Originally posted by Bad City
                      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I've always drooled over the Tubemeister. Is it as amazing as I imagine? (Silly question since you don't know what I imagine). So I simply ask...is it really an amazing amp?

Yeah, I wouldn't necessarily want to replace the cab. Not the greatest, but it is perfectly fine. The main issue is the speakers not the cab itself. But the Seventy 80s are good enough to start and, like I said, a tremendous improvement over what he had.

And yes, the Mesa will sound good through just about anything.

Ace, what speakers are you currently playing through in your MX cab?

Comment

I like the flat response of the 70/80. That being said, I think that mixing that with a mid heavy speaker gives a good tonal blend. So maybe at some point just one of the speakers could be replaced.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

I wish I had learned earlier what a difference speakers make to the sound of an amplifier. MUCH more than any pickup swap ever has for me. Before I had any realization that was the case, I spent many hours and many dollars on things that weren't up to the task simply because I didn't know where to look.

My thoughts on the matter as a primarily rock-driven guitarist are that--outside of combinations of speakers--are two big sounds for the genre. One is from Greenback-type speakers, and one is from Vintage 30s. I love them both, but I find that the push from Vintage 30s works better with my current amp than the crunch of the Greenbacks. The Celestion sticker on one of my early amps sold me on it when it had Seventy 80s in it, and looking back on it, it was not a plus.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                              Don't worry...you're not going to hurt it if you go above 3.

It's a very basic bottom-of-the-line cab, perhaps a cut above a "practice" amp speaker box. But I DO love the upright design. It will be a tremendous improvement over what you have been using, for sure. But at some point you WILL want to replace the speakers.
                              It's not so much the amp really, it's more this house. I put it up to 4 and everything in this room shook. However, I have read that once you get the Orange Micro amps over 5, they don't actually get louder, something something clarity or some damn thing.

Comment

Working...
                              X