Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Egnater Tweaker 40 combo VS Fender the Twin

Hi all!

I got a Fender The Twin(red knob) amp for some years now and it sounds great with the cleans. Only the drives are terrible. I use a line6 hd500x floorboard for my effects and drive.

This week I got a offer. Someone wants to trade his Egnater tweaker 40 combo for my fender the twin amp.

I play southern rock.. rock with a country twist. And I really love the Marshall drives but hate the cleans.. can the egnater be the amp for me or should I stick with the fender and the hd500x drives?

I can put the hd500x in the effects loop if the drives are awesome of the egnater to switch easy from clean to drive.

What should I do..?

Thanks
    Marco

Re: Egnater Tweaker 40 combo VS Fender the Twin

Can you play the Egnater before you trade?

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
      Can you play the Egnater before you trade?

Yes. But the guy has to drive for like 2 hours, so before I let him drive this way I would like to know if this is worth the drive for him.

Comment

Personally I’d keep the Twin & buy a better stomp dirt. Something like a Wampler Pinnacle, Plexi Drive, or any other good Marshall in a box pedal would allow you to keep your cleans & have great British distortion on the other end...
        I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

Comment

that twin is a pretty good amp for what it is. it can be big loud and clean. i had one for years that i loved but didnt love hauling it around so sold it to a friend years ago, he still has it. the egnater is a fine amp but id probably keep the twin but im a sucker for reverb too

Comment

Better stompbox
            Modeling pedai dirt ain't the same
            EHD
            Just here surfing Guitar Pron
            RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
            SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
            Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
            Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
            Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
            Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
            GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

It's a red knob Twin, so, not the most valuable of Fender amps, if it was a silver face or black face I would be more tempted to recommend that you keep it. The Egnater will probably be better on the dirt side, lots of options on the Tweakers and it should be able to sound as good or better on the clean side, depending on what speakers you run it through of course.

But, the "get a better dirt box" options are good too, there are some very amp-like dirt boxes out there.

Comment

It's a lot easier to get Fender Cleans from a Fender and then feed it with a OD pedal for great drives than any other way IMO

That said, you can blow that Red Knob Fender Cleans away with a different Fender too.
                “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I nearly bought one of those 40W Tweaker's a few years ago...but it blew a tranny before I could pick it up. Apparently that's a common/known issue with the 40 watter's. Most of the guy's I know who own one have replaced the power tranny's. You should maybe check on that before. I thought it sounded pretty sweet though.
                  "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
                  If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by Phantasmagoria View Post
                    I nearly bought one of those 40W Tweaker's a few years ago...but it blew a tranny before I could pick it up. Apparently that's a common/known issue with the 40 watter's. Most of the guy's I know who own one have replaced the power tranny's. You should maybe check on that before. I thought it sounded pretty sweet though.
                    The tranny was a problem on the first gen tweakers, as far as i know the newer versions are fine. I have a tweaker 40 that appears to be after the original run and they have a different one.

That being said the Tweaker is a great amp if you really want to get deep into making your own tone. I have found great sound in all the eq curves, currently im running it on the clean channel with the gain on 10, bass about 4 mids 5 and highs 6,with the AC curve, in the vintage mode with the bright, deep, and no mid cut. It sounds pretty clean if i dont bang on the strings but get a slightly overdriven sound if i dig in. Works great with clean boost, mild-high gain OD, and fuzz. I run it in a wet/dry setup with a 5w Tweed combo and the blend great. To be honest im glad i bought it and dont see myself buying another amp for a very long time.
                    sigpic
                    Warmoth Split Jazzmaster (Zhangbucker Crushbucker UOA5 splat, Cherrick tapped)
                    Dunlop Crybaby
                    MXR Custom Comp
                    GFS Twin Overdrive
                    Boss BD-2 Bluesdriver
                    Blackstar HT-DISTX
                    Seymour Duncan 84-40 (Weber Grey Wolf Light Dope)

Comment

My first instinct is to recommend a better dirt pedal for the Twin, because even the red knob Twins are workhorses.

OTOH, the Tweaker is much lighter, and has a lot of good sounds. The unknown for me is the reliability of the Tweaker. I just don't know anything other than what others have said about the later generations models being more reliable.

If I thought the Tweaker had parity with the Twin in terms of being reliable, I'd do it. If not, I'd be keeping the Twin and getting a better dirt pedal.

Comment

Working...
                      X