Boosting a Plexi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Boosting a Plexi

I use an Analogman Beano Boost with a JTM 45 type amp. The low end on the amp has been tightened up, so it drifts a bit toward an early bass spec plexi.

The Beano is based on a Rangemaster, but can be treble booster, mid boost, or low end boost.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mike Blues View Post
      Archer or klon type with the gain turned down.
      That is exactly what I was going to suggest here is a great one under $20 super quiet and built like a tank.

Comment

I mean, it's already been said multiple times, but you can't go wrong with tried and methods such as a Treble boost, Tube Screamer, or a Klon pedal (I use mine as a clean boost).

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
        Last edited by YeRedHouseOverYonder; 08-24-2019, 08:13 PM.

Comment

I actually really liked the Bogner XTC Blue [small] pedal running into the front of my Germino Club 40. TS808, OCD, and Sunset were also great into that head. I liked my Bogner Harlow into the plexi channel of my Friedman Smallbox. So many great ODs out there these days for accomplishing what you seek. When I was a young player in the 80s... we mostly just had our trusty TS9s for such duties.
          Last edited by Red_Label; 08-24-2019, 08:14 PM.
          "Always remember... all you do in life, comes back to you" - Roy Kahn, formerly of Kamelot, during the intro to "Karma" on their One Cold Winter's Night DVD

http://www.soundcloud.com/jwflamenco

Comment

Zendrive 2
            Crowther Double Hot Cake
            Ceritatone Centura w/Philips ECG109 germanium diodes.
            Last edited by 67Mopar; 08-26-2019, 06:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 67Mopar View Post
              Zendrive 2
              Crowther Double Hot Cake
              Ceritatone Centura w/Philips ECG109 germanium diodes.
              Ceriatone is making pedals now?

Comment

^^^ They make a Klone with an enclosure that looks like the originals.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
                  Ceriatone is making pedals now?
                  If you get a Ceriatone Centura, replace the diodes with USA made ECG1O9 diodes. The "1N34A" diodes available today do not match true 1N34A specs. The ECG1O9 is the replacement for the original 1N34A diodes that were used in the KLON Centaur. I was lucky to find a small stash of USA Philips diodes on ebay.
                  Last edited by 67Mopar; 08-27-2019, 08:11 AM.

Comment

Friedman BE_OD Deluxe Pedal.

Just recently recently picked mine up and that is one bada$$ pedal.

Comment

Tubescreamer—TS9, TS808, Maxon OD820, Keeley Red Dirt, Wampler Clarksdale, Boss Blues Driver
                      Transparent OD—Klon, Tim/Timmy, JHS Morning Glory, Wampler Tumnus, EP Booster

Everyone needs at LEAST one of each of these. But the latest ‘more good’ box I’ve found:

Chase Tone Secret Preamp. It is wonderful. You are welcome.

Comment

Bemused that people leave out the Boss SD-1 or the various MXR preamp/ODs. Which were the other major sounds of 70s to 80s rock. SD-1 is definitely better suited for OD use than the DS-1, more output available with less grit. But still has a mid-focused overdrive sound, though not the same one as a tube screamer circuit. Different EQ. Tube screamers are such classics for 2 reasons: the bass cut is just right for tightening up a lot of amps that get bassy at volume, and the mid boost fills in right where Fenders tend to need it most. But not every amp has that Fender preamp with scooped mids...

Rats have their following, too, though the ones I messed with I couldn't make heads or tails of with the amps I was using at the time.

Then there's all the more dynamic fuzzes, which at their smoother settings can be hard to distinguish from an OD/distortion.

There's a lot of nice modern variations that add in 3 band EQ, or switches to turn the low cut off, or put in a low boost instead.

I'd tend to go for a flexible OD like one of the Tims. The low/high controls on it let you cut bass & treble and boost output if you want a mid-boost. Ridiculously flexible once you get your head around the way the controls work. Really great EQ for guitar, in addition to being a great sounding boost.

+1 on jpage's Chase Tone props. Their Secret Preamp is said to be the best EP-3 preamp around. Less noisy and bulky than the originals, more accurate to original behaviors than other attempts. If you are a fan of Blackmore, EVH, Eric Johnson or so many others, an EP-3 was always present in their old live rigs. And it's an always on preamp, whether they were using the tape echo or not.

Comment

Working...
                        X