Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Need help with EQ

^^
    I agree. Although I would say that one should adjust one's sound for the situation also. If you want to sound good to yourself while playing by yourself, adjust it accordingly. Just be prepared to change it if you ever do play along with others in a band setting.

Comment

+1 ^^

Especially when playing with another guitarist. My rhythm guitarist uses a polar opposite set up than mine. I am using Marshall, Gibson and alincos, he uses Fender, Fender and ceramics. We get a wider spectrum of sound and more separation in the guitar tones.

Comment

I think it gets difficult to adjust stuff in a band situation. If you get to rehearsal or the gig and find that your presets don't work at all, you are going to have an audience and band members losing patience with you quickly as you constantly tweak your sound.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
          I think it gets difficult to adjust stuff in a band situation. If you get to rehearsal or the gig and find that your presets don't work at all, you are going to have an audience and band members losing patience with you quickly as you constantly tweak your sound.
          Well, then the best thing would be to have two different sets of presets.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

There is a balance here. If you are being anal about your tone and have the world waiting on you to dial in the perfect sound people are going to be frustrated. If you plugin and are EQed wrong for the room people are going to be frustrated. The key and the goal is to dial in as close as you can to start off the set and tighten it up as the set evolves.

The biggest club in Boston back in the day was the Channel. It was a huge converted warehouse with a metal ceiling. You could dial in perfectly during soundcheck but the second the club filled up with people everything would change. I found the first thing I would adjust would be reverb. Empty just a bit of reverb would sound cavernous in the club once there were bodies in they would dissipate the reverb and rob my low-end. After a while, I learned to read the room. Are there large drapes on the walls, bricks, multiple rooms and hallways, is the ceiling acoustic tile or tin? After a while, you start to recognize typical issues and formulate plans to combat them. Walk the room and look around before you even plug in I will also whistle when I am doing this to get a feel for the sound refraction.

Last edited by Securb; 08-24-2019, 09:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
              There is a balance here. If you are being anal about your tone and have the world waiting on you to dial in the perfect sound people are going to be frustrated. If you plugin and are EQed wrong for the room people are going to be frustrated. The key and the goal is to dial in as close as you can to start off the set and tighten it up as the set evolves.

The biggest club in Boston back in the day was the Channel. It was a huge converted warehouse with a metal ceiling. You could dial in perfectly during soundcheck but the second the club filled up with people everything would change. I found the first thing I would adjust would be reverb. Empty just a bit of reverb would sound cavernous in the club once there were bodies in they would dissipate the reverb and rob my low-end. After a while, I learned to read the room. Are there large drapes on the walls, bricks, multiple rooms and hallways, is the ceiling acoustic tile or tin? After a while, you start to recognize typical issues and formulate plans to combat them. Walk the room and look around before you even plug in I will also whistle when I am doing this to get a feel for the sound refraction.

Or you can save time and just turn the gain, bass, treble and volume all the way up and the mids all the way down. Just like all the cool kids do.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

I don’t know for sure on the series 4, but on the older Line 6 amps “Insane” is a bit of a caricature, “Recto” was the rectifier model. In general, less gain, more volume, less bass, more mids. That should get the thick Mesa tone.
                Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Frantic, panicked knob twisting between songs is my preferred method of tone seeking. Then write down all the settings at the end of the gig. :P
                  Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                  This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                    Frantic, panicked knob twisting between songs is my preferred method of tone seeking. Then write down all the settings at the end of the gig. :P
                    That must be awesome to watch!
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                      I don’t know for sure on the series 4, but on the older Line 6 amps “Insane” is a bit of a caricature, “Recto” was the rectifier model. In general, less gain, more volume, less bass, more mids. That should get the thick Mesa tone.
                      On 4 and 5 series there isn't a Recto, only "insane red" channel, that is close to dual rectifier sound. Also there is insane green channel that is straight up garbage, but maybe someone is using it for muddy bass heavy distortion. On 5 series there is even option for connecting amp to PC and software, where you can dial everything (amps, cabinets, fx, noise gate, etc.).

Comment

Working...
                      X