banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need a Dummy Load/resistor for Solid-State Digital Amp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a Dummy Load/resistor for Solid-State Digital Amp?

Good day,
    I am thinking about turning my old Line 6 Spider III 75 amp into a speaker cabinet, but want to make sure I would do it correctly without frying anything before I attempt (I don't feel like spending $500 for a dedicated speaker cabinet).

If I disconnect the speaker from the solid-state (digital) amplifier circuit while it is running, will I short out or otherwise destroy the amp circuit? I know you cannot run tube amps without speakers connected (or a loadbox) for this reason, but I do not know if solid state amps work the same way.

If yes, would hooking up an 80 watt, 8 ohm resistor up to the speaker wires that go to the circuit prevent the amp circuit from frying itself? The speaker is a Celestion G12p-80 (70-80 clone?) with 80 watts max and 8 ohm impedance.

In reality, I highly doubt I would ever actually have the amp circuit on while using it's speaker as a cabinet, more like something to make sure no one else blows the amp circuit on accident.

Thanks,
    GreatOz

Re: Need a Dummy Load/resistor for Solid-State Digital Amp?

No, just unplug it, don't put a resistor across it, just don't short the wires to each other. If the wires aren't touching it's like having an infinite ohm resistor across them and for SS that's totally safe.

Comment

Plus one on unplugged
      Does it have one of those power cords that disconnect from the back?
      I would put a jack on back that would open the line six speaker leads when a jack is inserted

They are called headphone Jack's I think

Have a normally closed contact that opens when you insert headphones into a stereo
      So the stereos speakers don't blare out as well
      EHD
      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

So I can literally have the amp circuit on without the speaker wires connected to it and without frying it?

Plus one on unplugged
        I don't ever plan on actually using it on in this fashion anyway, I just want to know I won't blow it if me or someone else does on accident.

Does it have one of those power cords that disconnect from the back?
        Not sure what you're asking. Are you asking if there are two power jacks, one mounted in the box that connects to the one on the amp circuit? There is only one power jack on the back of the amp circuit. If you're asking if the cord is separate, meaning any standard power cord can be connected, then the answer is yes. The power cord is not baked into the circuit.

I would put a jack on back that would open the line six speaker leads when a jack is inserted
        I had this exact thought myself, but I'm just somewhat lazy
        Last edited by GreatOz; 08-25-2019, 03:53 PM.

Comment

Cool I was just unplug the power cable from the back
          Throw it in back by the speaker
          Tell your friends the amp.is broken
          EHD
          Just here surfing Guitar Pron
          RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
          SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
          Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
          Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
          Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
          Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
          GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
            Tell your friends the amp.is broken
            These are the real solutions here.

I'm going to just install the 1/4" jack and mount it to the "new" cab and get some wires to route directly to the speakers. I will still put the amp part back in, but put a piece of tape over the power jack with a note saying not to use the amp without the speaker connected.
            Last edited by GreatOz; 08-27-2019, 08:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatOz View Post
              .... The speaker is a Celestion G12p-80 (70-80 clone?)
              The G12P-80 is the correct name for the 70/80. Both the same speaker.

Comment

Originally posted by Tone-Analyst View Post
                The G12P-80 is the correct name for the 70/80. Both the same speaker.
                That's what I thought, thank you for clarifying.

Comment

Working...
                X