banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

8 ohm MESA MK III into 16 ohm Marshall Blackback cab.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8 ohm MESA MK III into 16 ohm Marshall Blackback cab.

Ive heard much forum folklore that sez you can run a "safe mismatch" MESA 8 ohm speaker load into a 16 ohm cab.
    However my friend & Engineer Obeid Khan sed i run the risk of the NOS 6L6's in my MK III "flashing over" which isn't encouraging. This amp puts out alot of power.
    Ive played JMP Marshalls for 40 years & always match impedance for best results as Marshall do not tolerate mismatches at all.
    What is the forum folklore here @ SD forum ?
    Seems there is never a shortage of un-solicited advice when its not [your] amp that can take the hit/ [no offense].

Obeid said he would build me a loadbox to solve the problem which seems the best route.
    I do not want to re-wire my cabs to 4 ohms.
    Last edited by JMP/HBE; 08-26-2019, 10:34 AM.

Re: 8 ohm MESA MK III into 16 ohm Marshall Blackback cab.

i dont have a ton of mesa experience but i wouldnt risk it. marshalls dont like it, with old fenders you can usually get away with it but there is always risk involved

Comment

Just from my experience (this is not with Mesa's though) I've run lower impedence into higher impedence cabs many times with no issues. However, this was usually for a gig or rehersal here or there, generally I am matched up 8 - 8. But I have run 4 -8 and 8-16 before without issue.

If you look here: https://mesa-boogie.imgix.net/media/...d%20Hookup.pdf You will see they have scenerios of safe mismatching including 8 - 16.
      TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

My Mesa Blue Angel's manual states that the amp is not very sensitive to mismatches, and won't be damaged by them, but the power tubes will wear faster.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I know all my recto manuals say it's fine. never had a mark series though.

Comment

good to know!

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post
              I know all my recto manuals say it's fine. never had a mark series though.
              I called MESA support [which is outstanding i have before] and they assured me 8 ohm > 16 ohm cab is a safe mismatch & will not harm the amp. Im going to take him at his word and use a leap of faith.

Comment

Running a higher impedance speaker with an amp rated at lower is never a problem. I have had a WGS ET 10 in 16 Ohms in my Subway Rocket Combo for a few years now. Did it to give me a little power soak and also to run a parallel splitter with my 16 Ohm cabs for a true 8ohm load. Where you get into trouble is running a lower ohm load than recommended because it allows more current flow due to the low impedance and will build a LOT more heat.
                Guitars
                Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

My MESA MK III purple stripe stomps my 3 channel Dual Rectifier which i hate to say because i love the DR but alas its true. All hail the MK III.
                  I pulled the EV-12L and lightened the load by 30 pounds i swear.
                  Using it as a head only.
                  Thru my 40 yr old Blackback cab it is amazing. Got to goose the volume a bit .... look out !
                  Never knew the NOS Phillips 6l6 glass could sound so good.
                  Got NOS Amperex & Blackburn Mullard in da pre.
                  Last edited by JMP/HBE; 08-27-2019, 10:50 AM.

Comment

Those old Boogie transformers are pretty darn stout. That's a jewel of an amp btw... I always preferred my Mark amps into a 1x12 EVM, that's it.

Comment

What you need is the matching Mesa 112 EVM or C-90 Thiele cab. I have three to go with my Mark III, Mark IV, DC-3 and Mark V:35 combos. This makes for a killer rig that can easily fit in the back of a Corolla. The Simul-Class and 100-watt versions of the Mark III combo with a Theile and a pair of EVMs can keep up with any Marshall or Twin Reverb. It can cover any genre, from country twang to jazz to metal. And they're not as finicky to set as some would think.

I have a red stripe, no stripe and a blue stripe combo, and then a no stripe 200-watt Coliseum head. That head thru a Mesa EVM/C90 412 Half-back is my favorite to play on. The red stripe is my fave combo. I haven't worked with the no stripe combo yet. It's a Simul-Class, reverb, EQ, EVM model with the imbuya cab. It is gorgeous, but the amp needs a little work and I haven't gotten to it yet with all the health issues. It should be killer.

Enjoy your Mark III. They are truly great amps.

Bill
                      Last edited by Boogie Bill; 08-27-2019, 09:03 PM.
                      When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post

Ive heard much forum folklore that sez you can run a "safe mismatch" MESA 8 ohm speaker load into a 16 ohm cab.
                        However my friend & Engineer Obeid Khan sed i run the risk of the NOS 6L6's in my MK III "flashing over" which isn't encouraging. This amp puts out alot of power.
                        Ive played JMP Marshalls for 40 years & always match impedance for best results as Marshall do not tolerate mismatches at all.
                        What is the forum folklore here @ SD forum ?
                        Seems there is never a shortage of un-solicited advice when its not [your] amp that can take the hit/ [no offense].

Obeid said he would build me a loadbox to solve the problem which seems the best route.
                        I do not want to re-wire my cabs to 4 ohms.
                        I would think that re-wiring a 16 ohm cab to 4 ohms would be fairly easy. Even to make it switchable between the two.

Comment

The forum folklore is usually an impedance mismatch of one setting, 4 ohm to 8 ohm or 8 ohm to 16 ohm, won't harm anything. Impedance is frequency dependent and varies over the speaker's range, so this seems to make sense. I have never really found a better tone by mismatching, so I don't mismatch.

Here is my standard reply to what really happens and what could go wrong when you mismatch:

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...=1#post4249229
                          I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

Originally posted by JamesPaul View Post
                            The forum folklore is usually an impedance mismatch of one setting, 4 ohm to 8 ohm or 8 ohm to 16 ohm, won't harm anything. Impedance is frequency dependent and varies over the speaker's range, so this seems to make sense. I have never really found a better tone by mismatching, so I don't mismatch.

Here is my standard reply to what really happens and what could go wrong when you mismatch:

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...=1#post4249229
                            +1

Comment

Amp by itself.

Comment

Working...
                              X