Microphones for amps/cabs when gigging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Microphones for amps/cabs when gigging

Considering the best balance of price, value, dependability, roadworthiness and sound, it is very hard to beat the good old SM57. That was my choice, just like forever. At least, until switching to cab sim live a couple of years ago.

I still use them in the studio when reamping. Two of them in different positions, or one of them with a different character mic, depending on the style of the band, their tone and the sound I'm after.

With a well-placed pop filter, for recording vocals they can also make a 98% sound approximation to the cherished SM7B, for the fracture of the price.
    Last edited by NecroPolo; 08-30-2019, 05:56 AM.
    Wackor
    Ørdøg
    NecroPolo
    Diabolus in Musica
    SIDrip Alliance
    Book of Shadows
    RKH

Comment

Thank you all for the info. It seems amongst the popular choices discussed I get the impression it is probably tough to go really really wrong.

I must admit, right now I am most drawn to the Sennheisers. No need for a stand is a small plus, but talk of them being relatively easy to position is good with my lack of mic experience, and in my band if it saves time setting up... Big plus.

All in all, I am seriously considering going for the e906 as I was budgeting for something like an sm57 + a half decent stand. Those costs take me most of the way there, but even then the e609 seems like a decent choice all the same.

Thank you all!

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
        You might also consider a system that uses IRs and can go direct. It will be faster, and it will be easier to mix out front.
        Funny you mention that, I am actively considering a Line 6 hx-stomp...

A) to replace my delays and one or two lesser used pedals.

B) to have to go direct as a backup to my amp if that went down. Or if results are decent, for use when travelling light.

If I do, I will read up and/or start a thread to find out what these IRs actually are that people keep mentioning!!! (some sort of cab sim???)

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wolf View Post
          Funny you mention that, I am actively considering a Line 6 hx-stomp...

A) to replace my delays and one or two lesser used pedals.

B) to have to go direct as a backup to my amp if that went down. Or if results are decent, for use when travelling light.

If I do, I will read up and/or start a thread to find out what these IRs actually are that people keep mentioning!!! (some sort of cab sim???)

Cheers

Essentially, an IR is a recording of a very specific miked cabinet that imparts its sound on your signal. This is a good article explaining it.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by chadd View Post
            I really like a 57 and Audix i5 in combination. Either works fine alone, and the combo sounds huge
            Just FYI -I A/B'd . an Audix drum pack (5 dynamics) in the studio about 10 years ago. They were great -basically 57 clones with better ergonomics for clamping or booming on a drum set.

That's a great budget option OP.
            “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by MGW View Post
              Cab Grabber and a SM57 here.

However - we have completely quit open mic-ing. Too many sound hassles. Everyone goes direct now. I use a Red Box 5 out of my Mesa Slave output.

What amp duo you have???
              Last edited by Aceman; 09-01-2019, 07:22 AM.
              Originally posted by Bad City
              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post

However - we have completely quit open mic-ing. Too many sound hassles. Everyone goes direct now. I use a Red Box 5 out of my Mesa Slave output.

What amp duo you have???
                Mesa F30

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post

What amp duo you have???
                  Mark V 35, 5E3 kit-clone.
                  The e906 is better than the SM57 at rejecting interference and bleeding on small stages with close proximity to other sources.
                  Being designed specifically for guitar amps it addresses those sound hassles.
                  My only concern with the Cab Grabber is that it appears to be designed for a 57 and has no adjustability for distance.
                  As such the e906 is a little further from the grille than I would prefer but so far it does not seem to be far enough away to cause any issues.

Comment

i believe those sennheiser mics are designed to lay against the grill so dont know if ya need the cab grabber

Comment

I have to say that in my 17 years as a sound engineer, the SM57 just never disappoints. It is just the mic that all others are weighed against. Is it the best, hell no, but it does what it needs to really well and it is far from the worst choice you can make. While you can have many different options in your arsenal, the SM57 is one that MUST be in that arsenal.

Comment

If you can achieve the final guitar tones you desire using DI instead of Mic -I agree with Aceman -that's the way to go %100

I don't have a lot of experience achieving amp/speaker tones via DI, so I can't say how challenging it is.
                        “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

My Bugera G5 has a speaker emulated headphone/line out
                          My Jet City 1x12 has a XLR speaker emulated line out

The Jet City out sounds, for the most part, like a perfectly miked speaker
                          The DI on the amp head is a bit bassier more low mids
                          Easily tweaked with the EQ

Both are perfectly functional for recording or live use
                          EHD
                          Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                          RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                          SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                          Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                          Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                          Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                          Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                          GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Working...
                          X