banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tiny Terror vs Axe Fx III, Amplitube 4 & Cypress TT-15...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tiny Terror vs Axe Fx III, Amplitube 4 & Cypress TT-15...

Hey guys!

I finally got an Orange Tiny Terror to round of my Orange Lunchbox collection. The first thing I did with this amp is compare it to a couple of modeling platforms: The Axe Fx III, Amplitube 4's licensed model and the free Cypress TT-15 plugin by Black Rooster Audio. The results are once again interesting and perhaps surprising.

Notes: Normally I don't like to use advanced amp parameters, especially not in comparisons such as these but this time around I started experimenting with the 'resonance' control in the NadiR IR loader because Amplitube just sounded off. I think it's because unlike the Axe Fx for example, the Amplitube models don't emulate the amp-speaker impedance interaction causing the resonance curves. I thought it would be fair to use this function as now Amplitube sounds more 'like how it's supposed to'.
    The Cypress TT-15 is quite cool for a free plugin but the controls did not react like the real amp at all. So to get the sound from the video try to match the settings very closely as well as again the resonance settings in NadiR.

So if you have one of these modeling platforms you can get it to sound pretty close to my Tiny Terror!
    Anyway, let me know your thoughts:

Owner and founder of Sonic Drive Studio & social media manager for OwnHammer.

Facebook.com/sonicdrivestudio
    OwnHammer.com

Re: Tiny Terror vs Axe Fx III, Amplitube 4 & Cypress TT-15...

To my ears, the modelers were close, but I still preferred the sound of the actual amp. Just have a more alive sound vs the modelers was just missing something that I cant put my finger on.
    1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
    Jackson Soloist 7 string
    ESP LTD M-400
    Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

Originally posted by Hsb View Post
      To my ears, the modelers were close, but I still preferred the sound of the actual amp. Just have a more alive sound vs the modelers was just missing something that I cant put my finger on.
      Totally agree! The real amp seems to have more harmonic richness in the mids.

OwnHammer.com

Comment

Hey - I have the Ownhammer Studio Collection and I have to say "fantastic purchase".

Kudos to you guys.

Comment

Are you going to make a video comparing all the Orange lunchbox amps? You have all of them now, right?

I often see the tiny terror selling used for good prices so I'd be interested in that comparison

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
            Hey - I have the Ownhammer Studio Collection and I have to say "fantastic purchase".

Kudos to you guys.
            Awesome, thanks so much!

Originally posted by ibanezrocks View Post
            Are you going to make a video comparing all the Orange lunchbox amps? You have all of them now, right?

I often see the tiny terror selling used for good prices so I'd be interested in that comparison

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk
            Oh absolutely! I can't wait to get started with that. I think I'll do 3 different segments: 1 clean-ish bit with my Tele (not squeeky clean because I don't really like that plus some of the Orange amps just don't really do super clean tones) 2 rock lead tone 3 heavy rock/metal tone. So it should be pretty comprehensive!

OwnHammer.com

Comment

I was actually surprised to hear Amplitube was almost dead on... which is weird, because isn't that software pretty outdated now?

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
                I was actually surprised to hear Amplitube was almost dead on... which is weird, because isn't that software pretty outdated now?
                The resonance control totally helped with that!

I just realised embedding was turned off for some reason. My apologies. The video should work now.

OwnHammer.com

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
                  Outdated? No. They update it all the time.

I use AmpliTube when recording in Logic or on my iPhone for practicing.

Live I use a Marshall Code 100 modeling amp. [emoji6]

Speaking of which, played in a cover band with a guy that had an AxeFX II and a Mesa TriAxis. He got the AxeFX to sound exactly like the Mesa. Only I thought it sounded better. You could hear the notes in chords a lot clearer.

So if you spend a little time with a modeling amp they sound exactly like the amp you are copying.

People are always surprised when they ask what amp I’m using live, and then they see the LCD screen. lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                  X