banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blackstar and helix fx issue (effects return / 4 cable method)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blackstar and helix fx issue (effects return / 4 cable method)

Hi,

I have a blackstar ht-50 mkII and a helix fx which I want to connect using the 4 cable method.

The problem is: as soon as I put anything in the effects return, the amp goes into a bypass state where everything is bypassed and I just get i direct signal from the helix.
    None of the controls work, not even master volume or anything, can't change voice or channel, eq has no effect at all ...

I checked the wiring diagram 10 times and it's correct. I noticed that as soon I plug in something in the effects return, it goes into this bypass state..

Is my amp malfunctioning or what's going on?

Re: Blackstar and helix fx issue (effects return / 4 cable method)

List how you got it cabled

From guitar to _________ amplifier?
    Send of amp to return of helix?
    Send of helix to return amplifier ?

What you got
    Cant see where the problem is until we know

May have one bad cable
    Maybe one bad jack

Maybe wires crossed

Cmon

Whatca got man

EDIT
    Hey I googled 4 cable and helix
    Theirs at least 4 different ways shown to do it
    All using the same images to draw it out
    Last edited by ehdwuld; 09-01-2019, 08:18 PM.
    EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Of course. Anything that goes into the effects return gets straight to the power amp, bypassing the preamp. That's why the controls don't work. It's normal.

Comment

So you don't have anything plugged into the send? The send & return have to be connected for the controls to work. Other than that, you'd use the preamps in the Helix instead. Or do you have the HX Effects? It isn't clear from your post.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I should have given that info

I have the helix effects indeed.

It’s connected like it’s stated in the manual:

Guitar to helix in
          Helix send to amp in
          Amp send to helix return
          Helix out to amp return

All cables are brand new so I don’t think that’s the problem but I did not check them either so I will.

The idea is that because of the 4cm I can choose to put comp, drive etc before the amp and modulation and reverb after the pre.

But by connecting it like this, I just get the helix effects tone straight to the power amp and none of the amp controls work. If I unplug the return on the amp at this point, all controls work again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Oh, it is the HX Effects, not a Helix. I have one of those, too. It doesn't have amp models.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

You need to enable the effects loop on the Helix. Right now it’s just sending everything into the amp’s return.
              Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                You need to enable the effects loop on the Helix. Right now it’s just sending everything into the amp’s return.
                How do I enable the effects loop? Can’t seem to find that setting?

Comment

You have to choose an FX Loop block, or experiment using the stock presets, at least one is dedicated to 4CM.
                  Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

And so the stuff in the fx loop block are before preamp and the stuff out of this block are inserted after the preamp and before the power amp, right?

Comment

More or less so. Think of the blocks as pedals. All the blocks before the FX Loop block are before the amp, the FX Loop block is as the cable going from the last pedal to the amp's input and as the cable going from the amp's FX loop send to the HX FX Return. Then all blocks after the loop are going after the amp.
                      Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

I believe everything before the FX block is before the amp, everything after is in the amp’s loop. I don’t think you are putting anything in the FX Block. (But I’m just going by google searches, I don’t have one)
                        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I think what threw me was that I imagined that in the factory presets without an fx loop block everything would go to amp in by default in stead of to the fx return of the amp.

But it makes sense that it doesn’t know

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                          X