Most stereotypically Marshall amp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most stereotypically Marshall amp?

Which Marshall amp do you think best encapsulates that classic Marshall sound with that thick, tight low end, crisp and clear top end, and long sustain?

I was thinking maybe a JCM-800 2203, since it has the heart and soul of a Plexi but with the preamp gain stage it can sit with more modern styles too.

Thoughts?

Re: Most stereotypically Marshall amp?

I've heard too many amps that are stereotypically Marshall to be able to narrow it down to one.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

I think you have to extend the question “most stereotypical Marshall doing what?”

Because I think what you’re actually describing is “what’s the most do-it-all Marshall?”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I wish I could find a clip someone posted on a forum a few years ago. If I recall correctly, this clip had a cranked plexi, an 800, a 900, and a DSL all sounding more or less the same. So there is a signature Marshall sound. There are subtle differences though. A JTM45 has a bit of sag. The 2203 can be wicked bright and the treble and presence knobs require judicious application. The Jubilee was a return to warmer sounding. I think your correct that the 2203/4 is the one that most people associate with Marshall.

Comment

My first thought was the Dirty Shirley, which seems to get the Marshall sound I have in my head better than current Marshalls.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

The Origin 50 head when cranked through a 4x12 with V30s pretty much nailed what I think of when I think of as classic Marshall sound.
            Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

That's tough, because of the reason Demanic said.

Still, if it had to pick just one, that would be JCM800.
              Wackor
              Ørdøg
              NecroPolo
              Diabolus in Musica
              SIDrip Alliance
              Book of Shadows
              RKH

Comment

jCM800 2203 would be the most representative and "typical" of all the Marshall products IMO.

It's enough of the heritage and vintage tone and feel combined with enough of the high gain and features to survey the entire historical line
                “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by Halvorsenb View Post
                  Which Marshall amp do you think best encapsulates that classic Marshall sound with that thick, tight low end, crisp and clear top end, and long sustain?
                  The Plexi era Marshall of the late 60's... dimed of course (except Bass on "2" or less).

It's the original dinosaur with the roar of a T-Rex amp circuit that so many have copied or built upon.
                  Last edited by LLL; 09-11-2019, 12:02 PM.

Comment

The most iconic Marshall sounds to me are all the modded Marshall tones of the 80s. My favorite "marshall" is a mesa stiletto

Comment

Plexi and JCM800.
                      green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

JTM45 or the JCM800 2204

if it doesn't have to say Marshall on the front panel - Friedman Dirty Shirley.

Comment

JVM 410. Does just about every Marshall.

Comment

My 1991 Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head absolutely nails the classic Marshall tone. Had a chance to pick up a clean JCM 900 MK III Dual Master Volume 50 watt head a month or so back locally but when I spent some time with it it was like why I already have those tones so--.
                            The Old Carvin at my Church no effects just me amp and guitar.
                            Last edited by Ascension; 09-12-2019, 09:31 AM.
                            Guitars
                            Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                            Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

brown fender deluxe!

Comment

Working...
                              X