Any fans of the Marshall 3203 head?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any fans of the Marshall 3203 head?

Picking one up on a trade tomorrow. I’ve read they’re kind of Hot Rodded 800-ish.

Re: Any fans of the Marshall 3203 head?

ive heard people say the same but i didnt really hear it. odd little amps but ive heard them sound good on stage. tube power section, ss preamp.

Comment

Welcome to the family, Marshall.

Click image for larger version

Name:	8643CF1B-5174-4FBF-91AD-F4559F108B35.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	5817111

Only messed around with for 10 minutes so far, going to dive into it more this evening, but I’m liking what I’m hearing. Haven’t owned anything Marshall for 18 years. I’m thinking this could make a great Wet/Dry stereo rig with the Orange.
      Attached Files

Comment

I've heard the first Candlebox CD was done mostly on an Marshall Artist (and also mixed with a Peavey VTM).....Killer tones there!
        Only you can decide what "good" sounds like!
        "I learned a long time ago that one note can go a long way if it's the right one, and it will whip the guy with twenty quick notes." ~Les Paul

Comment

Originally posted by metlking View Post
          I've heard the first Candlebox CD was done mostly on an Marshall Artist (and also mixed with a Peavey VTM).....Killer tones there!
          Yeah, I loved Candlebox. Another victim of coming out right before grunge killed all that was good..
          not familiar with the 3203, but its interesting that for as little respect as Peavey seems to get, their amps seem to be associated with alot of dam* good music. The VTM seems so under appreciated
          Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by metlking View Post
            No kidding?
            That’s a great guitar tone that dude has, for sure.

Comment

I love my 3203. i get fantastic AC/DC tones on the normal channel, and with a MXR EQ in the loop, I can get fantastic metal tones on the boost channel. Mine is playing through a Laney 4x10 cab with Fane speakers.

Plenty of info and mods on the Marshall Amp Forum. I use pedals and EQ's to avoid modding mine.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                I love my 3203. i get fantastic AC/DC tones on the normal channel, and with a MXR EQ in the loop, I can get fantastic metal tones on the boost channel. Mine is playing through a Laney 4x10 cab with Fane speakers.

Plenty of info and mods on the Marshall Amp Forum. I use pedals and EQ's to avoid modding mine.
                Yeah, I saw the C13 mod and others that people have done.

Comment

So,whats your thoughts having spent some time with it?
                  Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
                    So,whats your thoughts having spent some time with it?
                    I’m happy with it. Plenty of volume. Definitely Marshall toned. I’ve never spent a lot of time with an 800, but I’ve owned a JCM900 in the 90’s. Reminds me of that amp a little, just quite a bit gainy-er with the boost channel dimed.

Comment

I had one of these briefly a while back, I put a GE-7 eq through the loop and used an OD pedal in front and got awesome hard rock/metal tones out of it!

Comment

FWIW, when I saw Candlebox back in the day Peter was using the 100W Peavey Classic heads, no Marshalls or VTMs in sight. They had some big hits with their first disc, and they were from Seattle so I don't think it was grunge that killed them, more the sophomore album jinx.

Comment

Originally posted by Swampy View Post
                          I’m happy with it. Plenty of volume. Definitely Marshall toned. I’ve never spent a lot of time with an 800, but I’ve owned a JCM900 in the 90’s. Reminds me of that amp a little, just quite a bit gainy-er with the boost channel dimed.
                          If you are using it correctly, the boost channel dimed will get very bassy and somewhat muddy even with the tone all the way up. I use the MXR 10 band EQ in the loop just like I would on a Mesa Mark series for Metallica, V shaped. It can really thump. Up the 1KHz slider and you can get some other cool metal tones.

Comment

Working...
                          X