banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replacing a reverb pan in an amp - what difference does it make?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing a reverb pan in an amp - what difference does it make?

OK, so I've been super happy with my Traynor YCV40WR in the 14 or 15 years I've had it. Great clean sounds, great overdrive, flexible tone controls, etc.

But I've always thought the reverb sound sucked. Before 9 o'clock you can't hear it, and above 3 it is too much. There's a sweet spot at about 2 o'clock on the knob where it is just the right amount of 'verb - but the sound of it is crap. It's kinda tinny/sproingy. I want deep/lush/watery. So I've pretty much just resigned myself to turning it off all the time and dealing. But yesterday I thought - hell, maybe it's the reverb tank. According to the owner's manual it's an Accutronics 4EB3C1B. Which the internet tells me is pretty standard:
    - The 4 means 17" long, 2 springs (a 9 here would mean 17" long
    - The E means 600 ohm input impedence
    - The B means 2250 ohm output impedence
    - The 3 means long tail (as opposed to 2 - medium, or 1 - short)
    - The C means input insulated, output grounded
    - The 1 means no locking device (not sure exactly what they're talking about here)
    - The B means horizontal mounting, open side down

Would swapping it out for a different tank (by a different manufacturer), or maybe a three spring tank (9EB3C1B) make much difference to the reverb sound?
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Re: Replacing a reverb pan in an amp - what difference does it make?

i swapped my fender stand alone tank to the 3 spring tank and it did make a difference but it already sounded awesome so not sure itll make much difference in your case but ???

Comment

That's already a higher quality tank from that era. But there are many Accutronic tanks that are more dramatic and different and there are lots of other mfgs with different appeal.

I say go for it -do some experimenting. -See if a dealer will front you 3-4 you can bench test.
      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

That's a good idea. It's just plugging in RCA jacks to swap, so if I could find a place with a few different tanks kicking around I could figure out if it'll work or not in a matter of minutes.

This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I'm hearing a difference between manufacturers.

Comment

Are there plate reverb tanks that you could swap in as well as spring?

Comment

Don't plate reverbs require quite a large plate?

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                That's a good idea. It's just plugging in RCA jacks to swap, so if I could find a place with a few different tanks kicking around I could figure out if it'll work or not in a matter of minutes.
                I can think of several online outlets that would be ok with me purchasing 4 tanks and returning 3 tanks.
                “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                  Don't plate reverbs require quite a large plate?

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk
                  Yep. They're large studio devices.

I don't think plate that fits inside amp would give noticeable reverb.
                  "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                  Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Huh. I just went down an extended google rabbit hole about plate reverbs. Interesting stuff . . . but yeah, probably won't plug into my guitar amp. :P

Comment

Originally posted by Jacew View Post
                      Yep. They're large studio devices.

I don't think plate that fits inside amp would give noticeable reverb.
                      Yeah, the ones in the studios I've worked in are the German ones generally 8 to 12 ft long

But don't listen to us GuitarStv !!!! Somebody science the **** out of a plate reverb like they do bass with a folded horn array!

Get that F**ker in an amp!

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
                        Yeah, the ones in the studios I've worked in are the German ones generally 8 to 12 ft long

But don't listen to us GuitarStv !!!! Somebody science the **** out of a plate reverb like they do bass with a folded horn array!

Get that F**ker in an amp!
                        Just get a digital reverb pedal like the EHX Holy Grail Max. Has spring, plate, and hall settings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                        X