Exploring the underrated 3 channel Dual Rectifier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exploring the underrated 3 channel Dual Rectifier

I've been a huge Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier fan for as long as I can remember. Needless to say I was pretty stoked when I got my first recto Recto. It's a 2000's 3 channel solo head, so the non-multiwatt one. For some reason this 'revision' doesn't get as much love as the older 2 channel Recto's but I don't think it's deserved as I think this amp delivers on all fronts!

To put this to the test I made a demo with 15 different guitars and 19 different styles. So everything from clean to heavy with single coil guitars, EMG equipped guitars, extended range and baritone guitars. This is a good way to find out what the amp is capable of.

I'm not a huge boost fan so most of the clips do not have a boost on except for the 7 and 8-string bits at the end. This amp delivers that classic Recto sound without a boost just fine imho. I just kind of prefer amps to sound as pure as they can. I often feel like boost pedals take away from the unique characters of the amp. Of course this is just my own view and taste, there is nothing wrong with using boosts, just personal preference

Here is the demo. There are timecodes in the description for easy skipping. Of course the juicy red channel modern mode stuff is more at the end. That's what most people love about Recto's. There is a lot of other stuff in there though. Things like the 'raw' and 'vintage' voicings.

Sounds pretty good eh? Would love to know your thoughts! Also, do you own a Recto or do you have experience with these amps? What revisions have you owned or played through. I would love to discover more about this legendary amp! Also, it never hurts to see pics of great amps so show me your Recto's!!
    Owner and founder of Sonic Drive Studio & social media manager for OwnHammer.

Facebook.com/sonicdrivestudio
    OwnHammer.com

Re: Exploring the underrated 3 channel Dual Rectifier

I really dug the tone with the LTD EC baritone. IMO, EMG 81's and Rectifiers are almost like made for each other.

I thought a couple of the last modern high-gain tones were a bit stuffy in the low mids, personally, but they had tons of character, and I think that kind of mid-forward bark is part of your signature sound, so I can appreciate that.

Comment

dig the licks around 6:54, gonna try to figure some of those out. lots of great riffs all around.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
        I really dug the tone with the LTD EC baritone. IMO, EMG 81's and Rectifiers are almost like made for each other.

I thought a couple of the last modern high-gain tones were a bit stuffy in the low mids, personally, but they had tons of character, and I think that kind of mid-forward bark is part of your signature sound, so I can appreciate that.
        Thanks and I agree, EMGs work so well with Rectifiers! Or Mesa amps in general perhaps...
        Owner and founder of Sonic Drive Studio & social media manager for OwnHammer.

Facebook.com/sonicdrivestudio
        OwnHammer.com

Comment

Working...
        X