banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What 12" 8 ohm speaker for this application?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What 12" 8 ohm speaker for this application?

The Jet City 1x12 cab I have on-hand has a 16 ohm speaker but the solid-state guitar amp head I own only supports a 8 ohm speaker. I already did a brief test seeing if the head could tolerate the impedance mismatch, and the amp head showed it could not. So, I am in the market for a 8 ohm, 12" speaker, preferably Used.

This amp head and 1x12 cab combo is just to serve the purpose of being a liteweight and easily portable setup for the occasional impromptu jam session. My full rig is based on going directly into a PA from a pedalboard using modelers, multifx and IR loader pedals. I also have on my pedalboard, a pedal that outputs a drum-and-bass-guitar rhythm (combined together on a single output). Finally, my pedalboard also has a synth, so at times I would be playing non-guitar sounds like piano, flute, sax, etc. [Edit: and since i want to have enough volume to be heard over a drummer, i'd want the speaker to be rated for minimally 50 watts).

So what 12" 8 ohm speaker would sound decent supporting this variety of sounds? [Edit: should I be looking at speakers that are typically used in keyboard amps?]
    Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 04-27-2020, 07:14 AM.
    Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Re: What 12" 8 ohm speaker for this application?

the EHX 12VR8 is an Electroharmonix version of the vintage 30
    I have the 8 ohm here at the house

these are $44 with free shipping from Musiciansfriend
    Get the guaranteed best price on Speakers for Instrument Amps like the Electro-Harmonix 12VR 75W 1x12 Instrument Replacement Speaker at Musician's Friend. Get a low price and free shipping on...

I would sell you my used one, but the cost of shipping it would be more than the speaker
    EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by TMD
      Aren’t many keyboard amps two-way designs, with a separate woofer and tweeter? Guitar speakers are basically giant paper midranges.
      You are correct. If I did not already have this amp head and 1x12 cab on hand, I would be looking at buying a keyboard amp. I may find that a single 12" speaker does an unsatisfactory job and then i go ahead and buy a keyboard amp, but again, i wanted to give this a try first since it is the less expensive method.
      Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
        the EHX 12VR8 is an Electroharmonix version of the vintage 30
        I have the 8 ohm here at the house

these are $44 with free shipping from Musiciansfriend
        Get the guaranteed best price on Speakers for Instrument Amps like the Electro-Harmonix 12VR 75W 1x12 Instrument Replacement Speaker at Musician's Friend. Get a low price and free shipping on...

I would sell you my used one, but the cost of shipping it would be more than the speaker
        Thanks the speaker suggestion. I will try to find some demos online of that speaker. With the mid-hump that speaker is known for, i am not sure it fits the bill for a keyboard amp style/application.

Comment

on my Bugera G5
          I got the Jet City JCA12s+
          I believe its the new version of your 1x12
          it came with a special design Eminence 16 ohm
          which again I believe is the same as yours

my G5 says it needs at least an 8 ohm load
          but the manufacturer says the 16 will work
          and it does
          I haven't noticed any difference in volume between the two impedances

and you say your amp doesn't like the speaker at all
          what amp have you got?
          EHD

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_TriPpEr View Post
            Thanks the speaker suggestion. I will try to find some demos online of that speaker. With the mid-hump that speaker is known for, i am not sure it fits the bill for a keyboard amp style/application.
            That speaker has a wide dust cap like a G12T75. It can't be a V30 clone. It does have a 50 oz magnet though, so it might be closer to the Classic Lead 80.

Comment

on my Bugera G5
              I got the Jet City JCA12s+
              I believe its the new version of your 1x12
              it came with a special design Eminence 16 ohm
              which again I believe is the same as yours

my G5 says it needs at least an 8 ohm load
              but the manufacturer says the 16 will work
              and it does
              I haven't noticed any difference in volume between the two impedances

and you say your amp doesn't like the speaker at all
              what amp have you got?
              My cab is a JCA12S, no +. Has anEminence speaker. JCA-12-1716.

The amp is a solid-state Acoustic G120DSP. The amp literally shut down after a couple minutes of testing it hooked up to the 16 Ohm Eminence speaker. I emailed Acoustic customer service and they wrote back saying that that amp cannot handle a load greater than 8 ohms.
              Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 04-27-2020, 08:46 AM.

Comment

ok
                thats the cabinet with the blue front valance panel and the circle logo
                on mine its a all black affair and the "+" is for the emulated speaker out

hmmm
                seems like a 16 ohm resistor in parallel with the speaker wire would "trick" it
                but I'm not sure

yours is the combo or the head
                the head shows two 8 ohm outs
                EHD

Comment

ok
                  thats the cabinet with the blue front valance panel and the circle logo
                  on mine its a all black affair and the "+" is for the emulated speaker out

hmmm
                  seems like a 16 ohm resistor in parallel with the speaker wire would "trick" it
                  but I'm not sure

yours is the combo or the head
                  the head shows two 8 ohm outs
                  Yes, my cab is like you describe.

My amp is the head version.

Using a resistor to trick the head into seeing 8 Ohms is a cool idea. Will look on the internet and see if anything there can confirm that it works. [Edit: or I could email Acoustic customer service again and ask them to confirm....]
                  Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 04-27-2020, 12:43 PM.

Comment

My buddy does this with his Classic 30
                    Or something like it

He has an external speaker out that he jumps out to trick his amp into using the 8 ohm speaker he has rather than the 16 ohm speaker it wants

Make sure the resistor is at least the 120watt resistor
                    Some of the small ones I use on electronics are one quarter watt and are far too small
                    EHD

Comment

My buddy does this with his Classic 30
                      Or something like it

He has an external speaker out that he jumps out to trick his amp into using the 8 ohm speaker he has rather than the 16 ohm speaker it wants

Make sure the resistor is at least the 120watt resistor
                      Some of the small ones I use on electronics are one quarter watt and are far too small
                      It seems what your friend is doing is a different situation, i.e. making the amp see a BIGGER load, whereas I need to make my amp see a smaller load. I think in your friend's situation, that would dictate having the resistor wired in series with the speaker, not parallel (?)

What I found online about wiring a resistor in parallel is that supposedly, the only adequate type of resistor up to the task due to high voltage and thermal factors, would be the equivalent of a load box (?) Ref: https://www.reddit.com/r/Guitar/comm...parallel_to_a/
                      Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 04-27-2020, 07:54 PM.

Comment

probably be less trouble to just get an 8 ohm guitar speaker

most bass speakers work for keyboard speakers

I have used keyboard amps and bass amps interchangeably
                        EHD

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_TriPpEr View Post
                          The Jet City 1x12 cab I have on-hand has a 16 ohm speaker but the solid-state guitar amp head I own only supports a 8 ohm speaker. I already did a brief test seeing if the head could tolerate the impedance mismatch, and the amp head showed it could not. So, I am in the market for a 8 ohm, 12" speaker, preferably Used.

This amp head and 1x12 cab combo is just to serve the purpose of being a liteweight and easily portable setup for the occasional impromptu jam session. My full rig is based on going directly into a PA from a pedalboard using modelers, multifx and IR loader pedals. I also have on my pedalboard, a pedal that outputs a drum-and-bass-guitar rhythm (combined together on a single output). Finally, my pedalboard also has a synth, so at times I would be playing non-guitar sounds like piano, flute, sax, etc. [Edit: and since i want to have enough volume to be heard over a drummer, i'd want the speaker to be rated for minimally 50 watts).

So what 12" 8 ohm speaker would sound decent supporting this variety of sounds? [Edit: should I be looking at speakers that are typically used in keyboard amps?]
                          Not sure if this 100% meets your criteria, but the 12" 8ohm Fender Special Design Lightning Bolt might be a nice option Made by Eminence in USA, runs about $50 used. They are in the Blues Junior amps I believe.
                          -=The Dali
                          --== Unabashed Alex Lifeson Fan

Visit My Guitar Building Blog at www.hammersandchords.com

Comment

Update: saw a used 40 Watt, 3 channel Peavey keyboard amp listed locally for a steal and bought that instead. Having more than 2 channels is better suited to my needs than trying to make my guitar head + extension cab work.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200505_235822.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	5819021

Comment

Out of curiosity, how was it behaving exactly with the 16 ohm speaker? It should work but I believe it would be a tad lower in volume compared to an 8 ohm speaker. Bigger problem would be using a 4 ohm speaker.
                              Last edited by DankStar; 05-06-2020, 08:36 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X