Power amp suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power amp suggestions

I'm using a AMT SS-30 Bulava and I really dig the tone in my DAW and the effects loop of my 5150.

Any Cheapish solid state suggestions to power it besides the powerstage 170?

I'm open to power amps, solid state guitar heads and solid state Bass heads for power.

my cab handles 480 watts.

I play all forms of metal.

Re: Power amp suggestions

Comment

This would be the cheapest solution:

44 watts of clean and natural power in a pedal-sized package!

Of course, it can't give anywhere near the wattage your cabinet can handle.

Another option would be to look at the used market. There are tons of solid-state power amps out there, and most of them very cheap, since classic rack power amps are not in vogue (to put it mildly!). Something like a Marshall 9040 would serve you well, but be warned that it weighs a fair bit, and you should look for a later version with a master volume.

Comment

Cheaper Class D power amps don't have a lot of power and don't sound great. Vintage power amps are super heavy. So without going with something like the PowerStage 170 or 200, those are really the choices.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I know this is the Duncan forum, but there are other choices. The Powerstages are supposed to be great, but FWIW, I've been using an ISP Stealth for years, and they have the Ultra Lite which is a direct competitor to the Powerstage 170 for quite a bit less and Buck was designing them way before SD got into the game. Okay, it doesn't have a mid control, but easy enough to deal with in whatever preamp you are using.

I love Duncan pickups, I just think the Powerstages are a little overpriced. Of course, that also could be MIM vs MIC (Made in Michigan vs Made in California).

Comment

thanks for all the replies guys this helps

Comment

Do you guys think running through the effects loop of a used solid state head would be a good option?

Comment

Originally posted by metalmachine1983 View Post
                Do you guys think running through the effects loop of a used solid state head would be a good option?
                Many people do that, too, and have for years. The downside is the weight.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

light weight would be nice but not a requirement. any suggestions for a good cheap head for that pourpose or will about any do?

Comment

Define cheap, the IPS Ultra Lite is only $266. I mean, you can look for a $100 amp on craigslist.

Comment

both yeah I was thinking 200 and less for used ss. otherwise I'll just go with the isp

Comment

Might want to read some of this too - https://www.sevenstring.org/threads/...eramps.321598/ doesn't make it a clear cut choice.

I haven't pushed my IPS, it works for what I need. I have used a MosValve and they sound great, but it's a 2U rack, so definitely not small.

The Quilters are supposed to be nice too, not sure if they fit your price range though.

Comment

ART SLA-1.

100W each channel (100W+100W)

I use it with my rack rig for live... works fine, sounds fine.

Keep in mind you will need banana plug adapters (to go from amp out to speaker cables), like these:

or these:

Need more wattage? ART SLA-2.
                          Last edited by LLL; 05-04-2020, 03:30 PM.

Comment

so my budget opened up. I'm considering a quilter labs tone block 202 or 202 overdrive

I only considering the overdrive just for the option of another gain. I'm better the regular 202 will be better suited to what I'm wanting to do though. it has the flat frequency response for preamp or you can select another voice for a good dirt pedal platform

anybody use quilter lab stuff?

Comment

Originally posted by metalmachine1983 View Post
                              Yes - I used this kind of setup up until recently (now i use a keyboard amp or PA depending on size of the gig. I made the change because I nowadays need extra channels for drum machine and vocals).

This particular solid state head fits the bill in terms of being liteweight (42 lbs), cheap, good tone, and plenty of power for your cab (120 Watts RMS).

An Acoustic brand G120H DSP head. I did a quick search on the internet and see in used condition, they can be had for btw $100 and $130. I am not sure I want to sell mine yet even though I no longer "need" it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200507_083707.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	5819029
                              Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Working...
                              X