Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TAD 5751 in V1 of Blackstar HT20mkII - replacement

Hello,

I ordered a TAD 5751 (only 5751 aviable on norwegian internet stores)- to try in the V1 of my new Blackstar HT20mkII combo.

Told my uncle about my purchase and upcoming tube swap- and he absolutely EXPLODED- spent 7 minutes on the phone, telling me-
    I was an idiot, going to destroy my amplifier- everything I've ever heard/learnt online was just bull****.

So I sent him a data spec sheet covering both the 12AX7/ECC83, 5751 and other tubes.

He replied with a pissed off SMS telling me to "Back off, you're getting me pissed- you don't know ****, and is trying to learn me about reality"

So F*** this uncle. :o actually wanting to pick a fight, over me buying a preamp tube.

I'm actually convinced swapping a 5751 in place of a ECC83 won't do any harm- I've done this earlier in a valve driven OD pedal.

What do you people say?

I'm looking forward to recieving the tube, trying it- and hoping it will tame some of the excess gain I got.

thanks
    -Erl
    If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Re: TAD 5751 in V1 of Blackstar HT20mkII - replacement

It will not harm the amp but will give you approximately 70% of the gain of a 12ax7.

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
      It will not harm the amp but will give you approximately 70% of the gain of a 12ax7.

https://amptubes.com.au/my-amp-uses
      Yes. What I was thinking.

(said Uncle just lost it completely. He said he would beat me up, because I was swapping my preamp tube. I guess he has some serious mental disorders).

I'll post back, as soon as I've tried the 5751.

I once put a NOS Jan Phillips 5751 in a cheap Behringer "Tube Monster" OD pedal... and it sounded awesome... much like the sound on Metallica's "Ride the Lightning".
      Too bad the tube was twice as expensive as the pedal... and now it's all lost somewhere... hmm.. :/

But OK! We have a plan.
      If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

I did this in a blackstar club 40. It didn't hurt the amp and yes it did lower the gain, which is what I was looking for.

Comment

Wow, time to spend some time away from the uncle, and gently encourage those around him to convince him to seek help. That's not healthy to be around.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Sorry you gotta deal with that! I agree with mincer, try to keep distance from people like that and or gently encourage more healthy behavior!

Comment

Yeah.... i had to tell him- when we meet next time, do I have to wear a weapon?

because that man is ... whacked...

Gonna post back when I try the 5751!

cheers
              -Erl

Comment

I was home alone yesterday, and tried cranking the amp (on the 2w setting)-

It goes much brighter and high-mid aggressive, when the El84's start breaking up- about half volume.

This might be why I percieved it to be very dark and bassy sounding, on low volumes.

Now, when it's getting "broken in", I get a better and better sound every time I turn it on. :o Maybe I didn't have to order that 5751.

Comment

Yes, tube amps will ďcome aliveĒ when you turn them up and make those tubes start working.
                  I have a Blackstar HT-20 Studio....same thing. Low volume is darker.

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
                    Yes, tube amps will “come alive” when you turn them up and make those tubes start working.
                    I have a Blackstar HT-20 Studio....same thing. Low volume is darker.
                    Okay,. I feel I've "found gold" with the 2w switch-

as i spend 99% of my time playing at home, in a livingroom- or with an acoustic guitar .

There is a drastic difference in brightness- though- when the amp is turned up. The EQ onboard is a good thing then .

Comment

TAD 5751 in V1 of Blackstar HT20mkII - replacement

Originally posted by Erlend_G View Post
                      Okay,. I feel I've "found gold" with the 2w switch-

as i spend 99% of my time playing at home, in a livingroom- or with an acoustic guitar .

There is a drastic difference in brightness- though- when the amp is turned up. The EQ onboard is a good thing then .
                      Nice!
                      You will find that different preamp tubes have different sound characteristics too.
                      JJ are a darker tube while EH and Tung Sol are brighter etc....feel free to experiment with tube swapping....itís a barrel of fun. Lol

A lot of people like the 5751 in the phase inverter slot...try it there too.

Comment

I think i have a cardboard box with 3 or 4 pairs of EL84's- that I bought for a Fender Pro Junior i had.

That Fender was biased so hot :o - or something- that it burned off the labels on the tubes i put in it.

My plan was to get a 6v6 amp-. Because I think they sound the best- the El84's really get hella bright, almost harsh- when overdriven. While the 6v6's seem creamier,

there was an Ampeg 15/7 watt combo for sale- but before I could save money to buy it- it went out of production.

Never seen one used either- people that got one, say they would never sell it. :/

Also "Gassed" for a Fender Princeton. What a beautiful clean tone. But it has no drive channel, and I got long hair, leather jacket and a full beard; and play lots of rock n metal.

All in all, I hope the Blackstar will last me a lifetime- it's not perfect; but perfect for me. And my limited income.

(I think I'll leave the 5751 in the box for a while- because the amp just sounds better and better every day. Must be it "breaking in"- )

Comment

TAD 5751 in V1 of Blackstar HT20mkII - replacement

Originally posted by Erlend_G View Post
                          I think i have a cardboard box with 3 or 4 pairs of EL84's- that I bought for a Fender Pro Junior i had.

That Fender was biased so hot :o - or something- that it burned off the labels on the tubes i put in it.

My plan was to get a 6v6 amp-. Because I think they sound the best- the El84's really get hella bright, almost harsh- when overdriven. While the 6v6's seem creamier,

there was an Ampeg 15/7 watt combo for sale- but before I could save money to buy it- it went out of production.

Never seen one used either- people that got one, say they would never sell it. :/

Also "Gassed" for a Fender Princeton. What a beautiful clean tone. But it has no drive channel, and I got long hair, leather jacket and a full beard; and play lots of rock n metal.

All in all, I hope the Blackstar will last me a lifetime- it's not perfect; but perfect for me. And my limited income.

(I think I'll leave the 5751 in the box for a while- because the amp just sounds better and better every day. Must be it "breaking in"- )

Yeah, absolutely. Play the crap out of it. I love my Blackstar for what it is. Itís a great small gig/house amp.
                          For my rock gig I use my Splawn because.....well, Splawn.
                          Last edited by Gtrjunior; 05-10-2020, 05:45 PM.

Comment

^^ yeah, it's "only" 20 watts-

Enough to scare the **** out of my parents, and make the neighbors call the cops.

But not enough to play heavy metal. :/

It does break up at louder volumes, and sound somewhere between a hot-rodded little marshall and a Vox.

Nowadays I've realized, I won't/can't play in a rock band. And I'm looking for a violin player/ acoustic guitarist/ singer, to do an intimate folk music / ballad duo instead.

The Blackstar is wonderful at lower volumes.

Comment

Working...
                            X