No announcement yet.

Tubes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just ordered some Tung Sol EL34B’s for my DSL40C. It has Groove Tube R 5’s in it now, and they are very dark and uninspiring. My speaker is a Creamtone 65 and I also have a 75 if I need to switch. Right now I have all NOS pre amp tubes, but I ordered some Tung Sol and EH Gold Pin to replace them. Don’t think they make that much diff in a DSL. I have a Bugle Boy, RCA Black Plate, a GE, and RFT and one more I can’t recall right now. They were great in my old JCM 800, but not so needed in a modern amp. I want to see how the Tung Sol’s do.

I had also ordered a set of Sylvania EL34’s (NOS) for this amp, and my tech couldn’t even get them to bias up. The tubes were too hot for the amp, so I had to go with the Groove Tubes instead. Guess I need to sell these Sylvania’s.
    Play more guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Of Late View Post
      I just ordered some Tung Sol EL34B’s for my DSL40C. It has Groove Tube R 5’s in it now, and they are very dark and uninspiring. My speaker is a Creamtone 65 and I also have a 75 if I need to switch. Right now I have all NOS pre amp tubes, but I ordered some Tung Sol and EH Gold Pin to replace them. Don’t think they make that much diff in a DSL. I have a Bugle Boy, RCA Black Plate, a GE, and RFT and one more I can’t recall right now. They were great in my old JCM 800, but not so needed in a modern amp. I want to see how the Tung Sol’s do.

I had also ordered a set of Sylvania EL34’s (NOS) for this amp, and my tech couldn’t even get them to bias up. The tubes were too hot for the amp, so I had to go with the Groove Tubes instead. Guess I need to sell these Sylvania’s.
      Or buy an amp to use the tubes in
      1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
      Jackson Soloist 7 string
      ESP LTD M-400
      Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

Well, I would love to do that. I am itching for an old JCM 800 again, or a Friedman or a Splawn. Those are the main 3 that I would buy if I could have anything I want, though there are other tube amps I would be happy with. Even the new DSL40CR is supposed to be a big improvement.

Funds are lacking for a head and cab, or a $1500 combo.
        Play more guitar.

Comment

Just trying to help a brotha out. Ill probably be able to get the pre-amp tubes in on Friday nite or Saturday at the latest and give them a go, should have the 34s in by next week. I am off after Friday thru the new year. Ill report back when I have each of the tubes installed.
          Jackson Soloist 7 string
          ESP LTD M-400

Comment

Man, I haven't seen anyone's tube pic yet,.... this thread sucks

I always bought Svetlanas or the GT version of them (I think it's an S designation. -maybe an R cant remember) when I was burning up tube replacing them every year. The are owned by New Sensor (Electro Harmonic) and still made in the original Reflektor plant in Russia and are rebadged as other brands often.
            “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

gt s tubes are jjs. r is new sensor but new sensor owns a bunch of brands so what tube you get depends on what model you are looking at. gt used to have 12ax7 r1, r2 and r3 at the same time, all different russian tubes

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                gt s tubes are jjs. r is new sensor but new sensor owns a bunch of brands so what tube you get depends on what model you are looking at. gt used to have 12ax7 r1, r2 and r3 at the same time, all different russian tubes
                remember which was Svetlana? The Reflektor factory?

I've got a box of them packed away I guess I could check.
                “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

off the top of my head, i dont. the 12ax7 r1 was sovtek wa, r2 was the sovtek lps, r3 was eh. s was always jj. cant remember much past that since its been so long. i only remember those cause i still have those tubes. wish i could get a set of the gt-kt66hp which were reflektor tubes. closest ive had to the set of gec kt66 i have

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Of Late View Post

Is it a set or a quad of the Sylvania?

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
                      Man, I haven't seen anyone's tube pic yet,.... this thread sucks

I always bought Svetlanas or the GT version of them (I think it's an S designation. -maybe an R cant remember) when I was burning up tube replacing them every year. The are owned by New Sensor (Electro Harmonic) and still made in the original Reflektor plant in Russia and are rebadged as other brands often.
                      I’ll try to post some pics of my NOS 12ax7 collection.

Comment

I like Mullard EL34. I'd get a matching quad.

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post

Is it a set or a quad of the Sylvania?
                          It’s a pair.
                          Play more guitar.

Comment

Finally received my tubes, havent replaced the EL34s but put the 12AX7s in and breathed whole new life into the amp. Put the Tung Sol in V1, Mullard in V2 and the Sovtek in V3, may play around with order a bit see if there iz any real signicant difference.

Dont have time to do the 34s at the moment hopefully in the next day or so.
                            Jackson Soloist 7 string
                            ESP LTD M-400

Comment

Working...
                            X