Analog solid-state combo for playing metal at home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Analog solid-state combo for playing metal at home

If you only need it in bedroom, why not slap a good pedal in front of your amp? 250 USD will get you boutique, high end distortion pedals, but not much in amp world.

Comment

Used smaller solid-state like Marshall MG 50w 112 and a good used pedal. Heck just get the pedal first and see how it sounds through the Fender, although ultimately you'll want a 12" speaker even for bedroom levels (IMO).
      Last edited by dave74; 07-20-2020, 03:40 AM.

Comment

"metal" doesn't really mean "cheap, distorted tone"...

... not implying that anyone here meant that (or thought it, except me)...

being a metal head myself, I swear about the tone of slightly overdriven power tubes;

and being a bit picky, even if the tone is highly overdriven.

Though, some styles like Black Metal, is great with a "DOD Death Metal" or Boss MT-2.... just to make it noisy and lo-fi...

hope you find an amp that suits your needs

-Erlend \m/
        If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

Im with Nexion here, get a good distortion pedal and you could save a bit of money. Buy it used and save even more.
          1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
          Jackson Soloist 7 string
          ESP LTD M-400
          Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

Check out an Orange Crush 20 RT. It's got built in Reverb and a Built in LED Tuner. Also has both a clean and dirty OD channel and only $189 (pre tax).

Sounds really good and not very large but has big sound if an when you need it but also perfect for at home playing.

Shop for the Orange Amplifiers Crush 20RT 20W 1x8 Guitar Combo Amp in Black and receive free shipping and guaranteed lowest price.

Comment

yeah Orange is by far my favorite readily-available mass-produced modern amp company. Their solid-state amps are surprisingly nice and their all-tube rigs are perfect.
              green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

1. Randall RG80 -- $440
                + Silid-state, 1x12
                - I pay for power I don't really need
                - exceeds budget
                2. Blackstar HT-5C -- $386
                + Fits budget, 1x12, tubes
                - only 1 pre-amp and 1 power tube (maybe it's not so big drawback)
                3. Blackstar HT-5R -- $454
                * Digital Stereo Reverb for $70 included (questionable quality)
                - exceeds budget
                4. Orange CRUSH 20RT -- $280
                + Cheap, I can buy and some pedal
                + reverb included
                - 8" speaker, no FX loop, not included foot controller

I really appreciate other recommedations, but I can't find that models in Serbia or are too expensive. I couln't find on second-hand market nothing mentioned or similar models.

No.2 seems to be the best choice regarding that i was seeking for SS amp. I don't expect to get the real tube feeling from it, and I don't need it. I hope it would sound like excellent SS amp.

Comment

A lot of people are going to disagree with me on this one. But I never had any issues getting a great tone out of the Marshall MG series. Throw a boost in there, totally awesome.

I tried the Crush combo as I needed a smaller amp for a different project and it did not do anything particularly well, it may have been the speaker, idk. I went with a Blues Junior NOS tweed.

Another option are the old Peavey transtube stuff, also do well with boosts in front.

Comment

Originally posted by TMD
                    Re: Analog solid-state combo for playing metal at home - Used Randall RG1503-212.
                    I was coming in to say the same thing. A used Randell from any era will do the trick. The older Randells you will have to use a stomp. But if you want to talk bang for your buck - Randell.

Comment

The little Yamaha THR series are sweet. And while they do modeling, they do it good. I've got two.

And mind you, I'm answering this question from the point of view of your neighbors, rather than you.

Comment

I bought Blackstar HT-5C.
                        Thank all of you for suggestions, especially Earl.

I really like its sound. The 12" speaker is totally awesome!
                        The things I love the most are responsiveness and feeling. I can hear much more nuances while playing solos. It's wonderful!
                        The amount of gain is pretty much what I expected, and ISF is very nice featue.

Cheers!

Comment

Working...
                        X