Soldano SLO 100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soldano SLO 100

I'm super curious about this new version of this amp. Anybody play one at namm or anywhere?

Re: Soldano SLO 100

Mixed reviews. They fixed the loop but its basically a $4K Friedman designed/built SLO of sorts.

Ive seen quite a few buyers turn right around & put them up for sale.

SLO's need the master on about 6 or 7 to get the goods.

Comment

I'm saving up for the SLO 30, since that hopefully works at a more reasonable volume. My experience with them is extremely limited, but I did get to try an HR 50+ an odd decade ago and it was hands down the best amp I have ever played through.

Comment

ive never heard a slo sound great with the master below 5 which is waaay too loud for anything i do these days but boy, do they sound good once up get it up to 6 or so. im curious about the new ones but i assume they will be similar but with a better loop

Comment

Originally posted by Sirion View Post
          I'm saving up for the SLO 30, since that hopefully works at a more reasonable volume. My experience with them is extremely limited, but I did get to try an HR 50+ an odd decade ago and it was hands down the best amp I have ever played through.
          The HR50+ was the best amp I every owned and could be had pretty reasonable back in the day, I traded a Boogie MkV for it, lost a lot of bells and whistles, but got the tone I wanted.

But sorry, can't speak to the new SLO vs the old SLO.

Comment

A new SLO will set you back about $4K tax & shipping and theres a wait.

Comment

some people have more money than brains. if i was playing stadiums, sure id like to have one. i cant imagine there are enough people playing stadiums that want these to make a long wait list

Comment

Kruse Kustom Amplification can tame the volume issue with a wattage switch. Even on compresses YouTube I hear a lot of overtones in this amps tone. If I can tame the volume I can play it out. I think it may sound good enough to bring minimal pedals to any gig. I didn't know the clean channel on the new ones would sound as good as it does with a strat. It's not fender twin good but its fender hotrod good at least. Still 4k is a butt clincher

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                  The HR50+ was the best amp I every owned and could be had pretty reasonable back in the day, I traded a Boogie MkV for it, lost a lot of bells and whistles, but got the tone I wanted.

But sorry, can't speak to the new SLO vs the old SLO.
                  Yeah, I'm kicking myself for not finding a way to get it at the time. I was a poor student, true, but I could probably get it for half of what an SLO 30 is going to set me back today. It will be interesting to see how the new Soldanos is going to affect prices on the used market. I suspect that Mike was not much of a businessman, as his prices got out of hand towards the end of the run of the company, and they ended up being pretty much impossible to find new in Europe. For now, the reception seems split between people gushing over them and people talking trash about them; very few in either group has played one yet. I hope they manage to carry the magic over into the new models. They lack the magic pixie dust DeYoung transformers, but so did the HR+ 50 I played...

Comment

ive never known anyone who bought a slo100 for the clean channel, although its fine.

has anyone done the mod to take the clean channel out of the circuit when using the lead channel? ive always been curious why the amp was designed that way since the two channels are out of phase

Comment

Every new SLO clip ive heard is overly harsh/brite and just lacks warmth.
                      Recording & speakers could have something to do with that.

My MESA amps with 6L6's have more warmth than the Soldanos.
                      And the SLO is an amp thats easy to "not dial in correctly".

A year ago i was optimistic but seems the new SLO is just nothing close to spectacular.
                      Fluff is a big drop-tune chugga guy so this demo is going to sound alot like a 5150.
                      Last edited by JMP/HBE; 07-22-2020, 04:03 PM.

Comment

Mark Kendall was one of Mike Soldano's first customers.

This song is the SLO essence IMO.

Comment

Another great SLO clip that the amp is dialed in correctly.

This is the older SLO in a W/D/W rig.

Thats a MIJ Burny Les Paul Custom.
                          Last edited by JMP/HBE; 07-22-2020, 04:16 PM.

Comment

Unless Mark had a prototype of the SLO, IDK if that is true for that track and album. The album (Once Bitten) was released in 1987, probably recorded in late '86-early '87. When did Mike started up his own line, '86 or '87?. He modified Marshalls for a lot of players before then. The SLO was released in '87. Either way the tone is killer.

When I think of the SLO I instantly think of DiMartini, and even Lynch as he would mix a Marshall and a Soldano together in his sound (like on BFTA). But Warren didn't start using them until Detonator. Everything else is a boosted Plexi according to him. Same Plexi that Lynch tried to take from him actually.

I like the SLO. Haven't heard or played the new ones but I had the pleasure of playing through one in the early 90's. A thing of beauty. It took some volume to give up the goods, as mentioned, but man, what a tone. They are too rich for my blood so I'll happily settle for modeled versions of it. I don't have a need for a tube amp with that much power behind it these days anyway.
                            Last edited by ErikH; 07-22-2020, 09:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
                              When I think of the SLO I instantly think of DiMartini, and even Lynch as he would mix a Marshall and a Soldano together in his sound (like on BFTA). But Warren didn't start using them until Detonator. Everything else is a boosted Plexi according to him. Same Plexi that Lynch tried to take from him actually.
                              BFTA was primarily the purple Marshall. According to George's old website, the SLO only came with Wicked Sensation (there was supposedly an ENGL at work too, but I can't hear it). I guess we have no guarantee for the information being reliable, but it would help explain why WS sounds so much smoother.

Comment

Working...
                              X