Soldano SLO 100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Soldano SLO 100

I think the whole release (which, admittedly, is the first release of a new amp that has had me GASing... well... ever) has highlighted the problem of using YT as a marketing platform. So far, they seem to have fallen into the hands of people who don't really get the style that somebody buying a Soldano is likely to be interested in. I mean, did they really send units to Henning Pauly and Ola Englund, but not to Pete Thorn, Phil X and Leon Todd?

Comment

Originally posted by Sirion View Post
      BFTA was primarily the purple Marshall. According to George's old website, the SLO only came with Wicked Sensation (there was supposedly an ENGL at work too, but I can't hear it). I guess we have no guarantee for the information being reliable, but it would help explain why WS sounds so much smoother.

https://web.archive.org/web/20040410...kedstudio.html
      Right. Forgot about the purple Marshall (doh!). I know for a fact he used the SLO live during the WS tour (as mentioned on that page) because I saw one of the shows and it was there prominently with a Marshall.

These days he's back to old Plexi's and even his old Park.

Comment

Lynch uses anything with tubes.

You never know what or when.

Comment

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post
          Lynch uses anything with tubes.

You never know what or when.
          Very true. In recent years, in my many live videos, he's consistently had a Plexi, TubeScreamer, Phase 90 and a Klon.

Speaking of WS, there's a new release of it coming out. https://www.ratpakrecordsamerica.com/lynchmob
          I wonder if he used the SLO on it (to stick to topic).

Comment

Back in the day. His #1 Tiger is never far away although he said he doesn't play it too much these days because it weighs over 13 pounds and hurts his back.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by JMP/HBE; 07-23-2020, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Man, two Soldanos in that stack of amps. That Tiger has seen better days. It's so beat up. Has had multiple necks. Last few tours I've seen videos of he's been playing his own line and maybe a Kami here and there.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
                Man, two Soldanos in that stack of amps. That Tiger has seen better days. It's so beat up. Has had multiple necks. Last few tours I've seen videos of he's been playing his own line and maybe a Kami here and there.
                One of those Lynch SLO's was sold the last few years, went for like $10K. hand signed of course. Michael Audette in Canada [Micheal R/T mods] on the forums sold Lynch his 68' one wire MV modded Marshall Major. The details are all hush hush but Lynch has it [or had it who knows by now].

Comment

Mixed reviews. They fixed the loop but its basically a $4K Friedman designed/built SLO of sorts.

Ive seen quite a few buyers turn right around & put them up for sale.

SLO's need the master on about 6 or 7 to get the goods.
                  It's BS that this is a Fredman designed SLO I can assure you its a very real Soldano and that Mike is still very much involved.
                  Guitars
                  Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                  Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

For me this is what i think about when you say SLO Tone.
                    Guitars
                    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                    Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

I remember had to be 2006 or 07 when we played Birmingham City Stages on teh Gospel stage and the Allman Brothers were playing about an hour or so after us on one of the mainstages. Had just enough time to pack up and head over to catch their set and was standing directly in front of Warren Hays and his SLO the whole set man what a TONE!!
                      Played a few SLO's over the years just wicked amps!!
                      Guitars

Comment

Originally posted by Ascension View Post

I remember had to be 2006 or 07 when we played Birmingham City Stages on teh Gospel stage and the Allman Brothers were playing about an hour or so after us on one of the mainstages. Had just enough time to pack up and head over to catch their set and was standing directly in front of Warren Hays and his SLO the whole set man what a TONE!!
                        Played a few SLO's over the years just wicked amps!!
                        Mike is "retired". Its not super complicated to know whats going on. "Soldano" is owned and operated by Boutique Amps which is a Friedman conglomerate. And its not just coincidence that after doing "tone talk" with Friedman that a year later Mike is retired & Friedman's company owns & makes "Soldano" amps. As for Haynes he's not an "Allman" and his playing doesn't "inspire" me at all but he has a cool sig Gibson Les Paul.

Click image for larger version  Name:	dont-pee-on-my-leg-and-tell-me-its-raining.jpg Views:	0 Size:	39.3 KB ID:	6004098

Comment

Every new SLO clip ive heard is overly harsh/brite and just lacks warmth.
                          Recording & speakers could have something to do with that.

My MESA amps with 6L6's have more warmth than the Soldanos.
                          And the SLO is an amp thats easy to "not dial in correctly".

A year ago i was optimistic but seems the new SLO is just nothing close to spectacular.
                          Fluff is a big drop-tune chugga guy so this demo is going to sound alot like a 5150.
                          Not a single appealing tone in that entire video. The first bit sounded like a synth on top of a wall of mud.

Comment

As for Haynes he's not an "Allman" and his playing doesn't "inspire" me at all but he has a cool sig Gibson Les Paul.

Click image for larger version Name:	dont-pee-on-my-leg-and-tell-me-its-raining.jpg Views:	0 Size:	39.3 KB ID:	6004098
                            Was there to see my Neighbor Oteal after the show as at the time he lived about 6 blocks up the hill from me here in Birmingham. Haven't kept up with the Allmans in many years but one of the guitar players that show was running a SLO, Thought it was Haynes at the time. BTW was hanging out yesterday with Mark the guitar player in Oteal and the Peacmakers
                            This guy playing the red 335.

Went back and checked my dates was 2014 and yep was Warren with the SLO on stage so your full of it on him not being an Allman . Hanes and Trucks on guitar with Burbridge on bass.
                            Last edited by Ascension; 08-01-2020, 06:32 PM.
                            Guitars

Comment

Working...
                            X